12v led light strip connected to 12v battery turned off after 20 min

J

johannes23

Newly Enlightened
Hi!

I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this question, please let me know if I should repost somewhere else :)

Today I tried hooking up a 12v light strip (2 meters long), to a service battery in my campervan. It worked fine for about 20 minutes, but then it suddenly turned off. I have wired the light strip through a 5 amp fuse from the battery, then through a switch. Do you know what the problem might be? Do I need a power supply even when my battery is rated at the same voltage as my light strip?

Greatly appreciate all answers!

-Johannes

Lynx_Arc

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Either it has a regulating circuit or you may have been running the motor on the van and the voltage was too high as voltage in vehicle charging systems or some SLAs have higher voltage than 12V..... up to 14.5v which could be too much. I would wait an hour and see if it works again or not.

H

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
An LED fundamentally needs to be driven by a constant current driver.

Most LED strip lights attempt to simplify the driver down to 3 or 4 LEDs in series with a small resistor - repeated over the length. If the voltage is very constant, then the current flow will also be fairly constant. I built a number of hobby flashlights using this method.

Some are also sold without the resistor on board and rely on the customer to add a constant current driver.

Normally these types of LED strip light setups with resistors are also sold with a 120 vac - nominal 12 volt / constant voltage power supply, but you skipped that part.

Often the places that sell these strip lights also sell a "driver / dimmer / color changer " that you can put in the circuit.

Did you do anything to mount the LED strip inside of a track for heat management or mount them right to wood?

HarryN