14500 cell, whose using them?

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look fellas, I'm going through to many AA cells and it's time for a change. How are some of you putting 14500 cells to work in everyday items (radios,etc) without smoking the items?
chiphead
And it's cold here in Austin, TX.

TweakMDS

Enlightened
Without explicit support, you'll probably smoke the item. Most AA devices are created to run on multiples of 1.5V (alkalines) or 1.2V (NiMH rechargeables). Unless the manufacturer specifies it in the manual, feeding it with 3.7 - 4.2V from 14500's will likely destroy the circuits.

jamesmyname

Newly Enlightened
I'm always cautious about leaving my 14500 cells lying around. I dont' want a non-flashaholic (fiance, friends, etc.) finding them and mistaking them for normal AAs.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm always cautious about leaving my 14500 cells lying around. I dont' want a non-flashaholic (fiance, friends, etc.) finding them and mistaking them for normal AAs.

Imagine a non-flashaholic putting them in a TV remote....what a suprise they will get when they press the power button! hahaha

You can use one cell in a device that uses 4 AA cells (and up) problem is, you'd have to use spacers or wiring to bridge the gaps, also you'll have to contend with reduced runtime as the load capacity of 4AA cells is much more than one 14500 cell.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look fellas, I'm going through to many AA cells and it's time for a change. How are some of you putting 14500 cells to work in everyday items (radios,etc) without smoking the items?

Only after modding it completly, to cope with those voltages. About the only reason i even applied some of them, was after a cheap boost driver failed (regular batts), and it was easier to mod it to mostly direct drive. Or if you need higher voltages in smaller packages.
Like star halo said, time to get good rechargables in normal voltages.

Many of the lights where they can Jam in a 14500sized li-ion are using boost, and are not designed for the voltages either, but they are cool bright while it lasts :) Way less lights are designed with some leeway for the higher voltage (some lights Are designed with the higher voltage in mind, most are just bleeding). So lots of the places they are used in lights, it is already pushing it over.

The AA sized Li-ion is not a miracle battery by any means, nothing like the 18650 li-ion which has a lot of capacity available. Because the 14500 arent ever great or robust, and long lasting, and because low self discharge AA ni-mh rechargables exists , there really is not very many reasons to use them :-(

Course if your just talking about 14500 Sized rechargables :) well then AA low self discharge ni-mh is the way to go.

Potentially, a person could parellel them in where a 3x series set was used before (after a rewire), but there would have to be more reasons to do that, like to reduce weight, or for bragging rights, to use a certian driver, or something beyond just trying to get things to work.
Even for reduced weight, slightly higher voltage, and longer runtimes there is the lithium AA $$$ at the more normal voltages.

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I swap them in for AA's once in a while....mostly to see if they work or smoke the LED. :D

I got a free Thrunite T10 for example, which doesn't SAY you can use a lithium ion rechargeable...but, I swapped in a 14500 to see what happened, and what happened is that it got WAAAAY brighter. It maintained all modes, and simply screamed more lumens out. It also got hotter sooner...but not so fast that it wasn't useful. Keychain sized lights don't typically get used for long periods anyway...so, for me, it worked great.

I did the same concept with its AAA brother (Ti2) and a 10440, which was improved in the exact same way.

:D