15,000 lumen exterior area light flashing in cold temps

fishx65

Enlightened
Just installed a 15,000 lumen dusk to dawn LED area light in Michigan and it flashes off and on when the temp drops below 40 degrees. If I bring it in the house for a while it works just fine. Any idea which component is the culprit? The output is amazing but it's useless right now. Was thinking of bypassing the photo sensor to see if that's the problem. It has a non-replaceable photo sensor.

fishx65

Enlightened

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Debugging can be challenging but being brand new and malfunctioning I would think about returning it.

You may well find the defective part but it may or may not be easily obtainable/replaceable.

Working on line-powered stuff has implications for insurance, should anything go wrong.

Not raining on anyone's parade, as I like debugging/repairing things, just mostly low-voltage.

Dave

+1 to Photon wrangler. Sound like a cold joint somewhere. Most likely in the power supply but no guarantee. The power supply could be just faulty or poor design.

fishx65

Enlightened
Just swapped the defective unit for a new one and it works just fine. Tossed it in the freezer for a couple hours to see how it handled the cold:)