16340 VS. 14500

ven

Flashaholic
:laughing: you will love the v11r !!!! for vinhs i am sure the IMR16340 will give better performance.
Mine is standard at 500lm and plenty for me and for an edc small light.

A little reading(as i said not tested mine right down )shows up as gradually gets dimmer once cells low........

Well :twothumbs:D;) i guess i am 1 up on you:p

Capolini

Banned
:laughing: you will love the v11r !!!! for vinhs i am sure the IMR16340 will give better performance.
Mine is standard at 500lm and plenty for me and for an edc small light.

A little reading(as i said not tested mine right down )shows up as gradually gets dimmer once cells low........

Well :twothumbs:D;) i guess i am 1 up on you:p

:thanks:,,,,,,,,,,,,,I was "speed reading" SB's thread on the torch and saw he wrote the same thing,,,,,,,,,light will gradually get dimmer! :twothumbs :cool: I stuck to my quota!!

Enlightened
Unless you needed the shorter length or have a chest full of CR123s/CR123 lights sitting around, I can't see any compelling reason to not go 14500/AA. You get a lot more options.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Especially for am edc light. I just edc'd a solarforce l2p with the pocket clip and it's a pretty big light to carry in the pocket. The length isn't the problem it's the thickness. Unless it's an incan which you're not going to get very good performance from a single 14500 let alone a aa. But with an led the 14500 form factor is so much better

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lights that take 14500 Li-ions, will also take alkaline/NiMH cells. Wich means they're designed to take anywhere from ~0.9-4.2V as input voltage. Lights designed for CR123A/16340 must be able to take ~2.0-4.2V, which is a much smaller range. I'd expect it's easier to design an efficient driver circuit for that.

So given a 16340 and 14500 cell with same capacity, I'd expect a good 16340 light to have (slightly?) longer runtime than a good 14500 light. But as said, good 14500 cells are easier to find than good 16340's. And alkaline/NiMH/Li-ion flexibility is nice to have in a single light.

Imho (R)CR123 based lights are more pocketable than 14500 based ones, but opinions differ on that one.

Reason being there is a "AA" extender for the V11Rvn. I am not sure it would be worth it for me unless the run time difference was significant[ from 30 min. to 45 min.]which I doubt very much!
I'd buy that for the flexibility in battery options, not to improve runtimes. Otoh: if that flexibility isn't important w/ respect to that V11Rvn light, why spend $$ on it? :thinking:

ven

Flashaholic
Yes from a personal perspective the control ring and flexibility was the seller for me,the cell choice from one light(srt3 the same) is very useful.

Size again i prefer the 123/16340 form factor for pockets like RT
This is the d25cvn next to v11r with 16340(no extension fitted)

We all know how small the d25c ti is so i guess the control ring and bigger end cap makes up the slight heigh difference.

900lm from the vn version................pretty amazing and a great hand warmer too.I am impressed by the meagre 500lm..........:laughing:

Great thing with the ring i find is you can just select a desired brightness,happy medium for example and leave at that,helps temp wise and run time too.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget heat build up. I have both the D25C Ti and the V11R (had the V10R as well) and the bigger heads of the latter two, along with their aluminum construction, seems to me, to aide in cooling.

With fully charged IMRs, the EagleTac gets really, really hot after just 2-3 minutes, with me shutting it down usually at 3 minutes, because it's on its way out to 'deadsville.'

On my V11R and V10R, I can/could go a few more minutes, say 5-6, so you can get twice the runtime with the SWM bigger aluminum lights, than the titanium and smaller/narrower/thinner D25C Ti.

My V10R was XM-L T6, the V11R is XM-L U2 and the ET is XM-L2 U2, FWIW.

Chris

ven

Flashaholic
Interesting info Chris thanks,mine is the u3 iirc............what difference in real world that makes i dont know.My d25cvn i cant compare run times as its over 500lm easy,compared to my v11r(which is not a fare comparison in my case) due to current bump,de-dome etc it gets very warm in under a minute.

True ,the v11r does have more mass on its side along with being alloy over ti.

Would you say your d25c on IMR is around the same as the v11r

I run IMRs in both d25cvn and v11r

Robertos v11rvn is 900lm due to being breathed on by vinh,be interesting on what run on max before a dial down due to heat:twothumbs

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both in vn style, and both get warm fast with efest imr. Really like them both. D25cvn is great all around with good throw ( xml2 pdt) and the V11rvn (dome intact) is a great little flooder. I tend to carry the V11rvn more because it's way more comfortable with the extension, but they both have taken a backseat to the C20cvn. Same size as the V11rvn with extention, but uses a 18650. Amazing throw (pdt xml2 ) and I've purposely run the light on a 20r until hot, rest, until hot, rest for what seemed like forever, and have yet to see the low voltage indicator come on.

I'll have to do some actual timed tests with the V11rvn 16340 vs 14500 vs AA Vs 123
I'm really a fan of sunwayman edc style lights.

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
I have the new tenth anniversary Ti Jetbeam coming along with the AA adapter so will probably look for some of the Keppower 14500 batteries. I also have a older Jetbeam Ti limited edition light w/o the adapter and will try fitting the Ti adapter to the old light to see if it works there. The aluminum AA adapter from another older Jetbeam does work with the older Ti one. To me the adapters add to the versatility of a light and with the new Jetbeam the light step up in light output with the 3.7V cells is substantial over a AA or 3 volt 16340.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tcr10 is a great light. You'll be very pleased.

On that light the extension is mandatory just for the increase in titanium mass. :D

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting info Chris thanks,mine is the u3 iirc............what difference in real world that makes i dont know.My d25cvn i cant compare run times as its over 500lm easy,compared to my v11r(which is not a fare comparison in my case) due to current bump,de-dome etc it gets very warm in under a minute.

True ,the v11r does have more mass on its side along with being alloy over ti.

Would you say your d25c on IMR is around the same as the v11r

I run IMRs in both d25cvn and v11r

Robertos v11rvn is 900lm due to being breathed on by vinh,be interesting on what run on max before a dial down due to heat:twothumbs

Aluminum has always been a great conductor of heat, both ways, although I don't know where titanium fares on that scale. All you have to do is look at your D25C Ti case body and you can see it's pretty thin, more thin than the V11R, so that might also be an issue.

"Would you say your d25c on IMR is around the same as the v11r"

Do you mean same 'heat' output, or same 'light output?' I answered the first one, I think, but as far as output goes, I think the edge goes to the V11R as far as hot spot size and perceived output. They're close, but one knock on my two SWM lights, the V11R and the M11R is that 'banding' is pretty noticeable, but not to the point that the lights are compromised in any way. Just a minor nit and observation.

I just got back from a 7 day Caribbean cruise and brought two lights with me: the V11R and the D25C Ti. I carried the EagleTac everyday and left the SWM in my shaving kit, even though I think that the V11R is a bit more versatile--it's a bit bigger too, however.

I really can't imagine these smaller lights putting out 900 OTF lumens and being useful for any length of time greater than 60 seconds. More of a novelty IMO, like the guy who builds 20mm bolt rifles that fire 20mm Vulcan cannon rounds.

Yeah...you've got something wild, but you won't be using it in any reasonable setting.

Chris

ven

Flashaholic
Thanks for the info Chris,yes sorry i meant output .Yes agree,i guess it depends on what % ti and alloy for the best all round performance regarding ti lights.
Dont have any beam pics of my v11r yet but will do a comp when i get chance,have a pic of the de-domed d25cvn though

Not sure on lumens with d25cvn,but 30 seconds tells your hands to get ready to knock down.I tend to leave head loose and use medium,probably brighter than my d25a on a 14500 in turbo.Well certainly brighter hot spot i should say but being de-domed it would be expected.Also a warmer too because of this,my d25a is a cool but i do like it that way.

Thanks again:thumbsup:

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only thing novel or unusable about the tiny monsters is turbo mode. Need a longer run, kick it down.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only thing novel or unusable about the tiny monsters is turbo mode. Need a longer run, kick it down.

That's kind of a big deal, no? Why pay for the added expensive of modding if you really can't utilize the feature for all that long?

Hey, I'm not knocking modding a light and blowing out its output, but some things don't make a lot of sense to me. Li-ions in tiny AA/AAA lights, vampire lights and modding output in smaller lights, where running them on high for a minute, or so, is problematic, but hey...if we all liked the same things, it would be a boring world, right?

Chris

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya I don't see it as a problem. Use medium mode most of the time as its plenty bright on these things then hit max when you need it. Let's be honest you don't often need 1000 plus lumens. I almost only use a 100 lumen incan it's more than bright enough for any need. Super high output lights besides search and rescue super throwers are just for fun

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
And fun they are :)

You add nitrous to a vehicle, but you don't superglue the button down ;)
I like to have that super mode. If my med, or high is as bright as stock turbo, what's the harm in essentially, just having an extra mode of crazy. Lol.

To each his own :)

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
And fun they are :)

You add nitrous to a vehicle, but you don't superglue the button down ;)
I like to have that super mode. If my med, or high is as bright as stock turbo, what's the harm in essentially, just having an extra mode of crazy. Lol.

To each his own :)

Awesome anology. I have a (somewhat larger than factory) :) turbo on my passat. I don't keep it floored all the time. When I'm driving around normal it's drives normal. When I put my foot down whoa!

Last edited:

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Boost = :D :D
And why pay money for something you can't use for long? To have immense pleasure for that time :)

But I do agree bigger lights handle the mod better

My tk75vn kt is very close to the stock runtime.

But I totally see both sides of the fence on this one.

Capolini

Banned
I totally understand both sides of the fence here!

If my high powered modded lights could only run a minute or two[and there are some] I would not get it.;)

-My OSTS TN31mb is unbelievable when it comes to run time and lack of heat build up.I ran the torch for 70 minutes on max in 70F temp. and it did not get hot!:twothumbs

-TK75vn,,,,,,,very efficient run times and can also run on max[so far w/ 68 to 73F temps.] for 20 minutes no problem. Then medium for 3 or 4 min.,then max again if I want.

-K40vn,,,,,this is not as efficient in run time and heat build up. However, with 6 modes and 3, 4 and 5 being more than enough, it is worth it. I can run it for about 15 to 20 min. on max in 65F temps. then I have to tone down!

-TK61vn- another great FENIX/Vihn torch,,,,,,,,just as efficient in run time and able to get long[20 min.] runs on max like my TK75 w/ temps. at 70/72F!

Obviously as summer gets near I will tone down as needed!

I love winter just like Capo!! Another reason I love winter is heat is never an issue on any of these lights!

Will my lights have a shorter life? Maybe,but I am having fun and not only that I have enough torches where they basically get used 1 hour/week!

To end my mini dissertation I will say that my light in transit, V11rvn,,will basically be the only one that I won't be able to use on max all the time, nor would I want to for what I am using it for.

It is show time,,,,,M3X[one of my favorite stock lights] and X10vn which is my favorite mini power booster thrower!!! lol!!

:)