• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

18350/18500 Battery Compartment Pre-Sale

indigon

Enlightened
Received my 18500 flush SDR50 and it's roughly only a half inch longer than the 123 rotary, and with a 2000 mAh battery will last up to 3x longer. This 18500 compartment appears to be a no-brainer..

hds-18-0.jpg

.. With my doubled up Novatac vinyl caps:
(Perfect for spot beam console work when you don't need to light up the entire room, caps reduce spill about 25% but throws about the same).

hds18-1.jpg

hds18-00.jpg

Attachments

• hds48k.jpg
    hds48k.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

indigon

Enlightened
Relative sizes of 123 & 18500 lights.

hds sizes.jpg

If you live in a remote area like me and are having trouble finding 18500 batteries I found these on the Bay reasonable, delivers anywhere. Both fit in the HDS 18500 & work great:

18500-2.jpg

sanyobatt.jpg

Have been using this battery in my 18500 normally for 5 days, mostly lower settings but this puppy isn't discharging much.. Unscientific, I know & the only way I can check it is put it in the charger for just a second..

nitecore.jpg

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do NOT use Keeppower button top 18350 batteries in your 18350 HDS tubes.
They are just another manufacturer who lies about the size of the battery. An 18350 is SUPPOSED to be 18mm in diameter and 35.0mm long. Keeppower are 39.0mm long!!! They are an 18390..

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
This was a protected battery 1200 mAh (ICR). No need to use ICR. Keeppower makes an IMR 1200 mAh flat top, and that one will work just fine.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are just another manufacturer who lies about the size of the battery. An 18350 is SUPPOSED to be 18mm in diameter and 35.0mm long. Keeppower are 39.0mm long!!! They are an 18390..

Due to the extra length, if turn it with force, will the battery be damaged or the flashlight damaged?

If the battery is not a problem, we can cut off the protection board with a knife.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the battery is too long, it will both crush the battery and cause issues in the tail in which it will need to be sent in to Henry to be repaired... and we all know how long that can take!

Duster1671

Enlightened
What is the acceptable tolerance on diameter and length for a battery to be advertised as 18350 without the manufacturer being called a liar?

Must a 18mm x 36mm cell be called an 18360, for example?

Robot Mania FU

Newly Enlightened
I ran into this issue with keeppower 18350s on another light. The flat top IMR's fit with a decent amount of room to spare, so I grabbed some button tops thinking I'd still have room and they were getting crushed. Keeppowers protected button tops are significantly longer than the flat top IMR's. I had to use an 1/8" extender to fit them and even then they were still hanging past the battery tube a bit.

Last edited:

K-T

*Moderator*
Has anybody from Europe/Germany received theirs already? Still waiting…

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anybody from Europe/Germany received theirs already? Still waiting…
Yes, see my posting: (24. Sep. 2022 - pictures a day later)

The Tracking number provided by HDS works very good at USPS Tracking and later after customs processing at DHL. I always know exactly where the parcels is, and what step is processed.
Only an additional hint, the customs processing may take 2-4 weeks. I experienced for my tubes and my NB27 HDS a little bit more than two weeks at customs.

sebis

Newly Enlightened
If the battery is too long, it will both crush the battery and cause issues in the tail in which it will need to be sent in to Henry to be repaired... and we all know how long that can take!

I am the one that fell for the false advertising from Keeppower and broke the rotary switch on my brand new HDS w/18350 tube. After this episode I learned my lesson and I am measuring all my batteries with a caliper now, I even created a spreadsheet with all my batteries and sizes :sssh:...

Thanks to Henry I got the light back in 3 weeks (apparently record time ;)), he repaired it for free. Thank you HDS!

K-T

*Moderator*
The Tracking number provided by HDS works very good at USPS Tracking and later after customs processing at DHL. I always know exactly where the parcels is, and what step is processed.
Only an additional hint, the customs processing may take 2-4 weeks. I experienced for my tubes and my NB27 HDS a little bit more than two weeks at customs.
It is still in transit and strangely going back to the US since Friday. This has never happened to me before. :cry: