18650 cells 1 year storage?

Trout River

Newly Enlightened
Yes if they are good to start with way over 76%
I've put some away @ 4.20 volts and over a year later 4.17 or 4.18 volts still

Trout River

Newly Enlightened
Probably I have never actually owned or used a 14500, 10440s are the closest I've had. They last a while charged.

sirpetr

Newly Enlightened
Yes. If its unprotected or good quality protected, then the discharge will be very low, surely will leave more than 76% charge in the cell. I dont have any numbers by my side, but I work with these li-ions everyday, so Im quite sure.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many recommend, when storing cells for long periods, only charging them to ~3.7V-3.85V. I haven't heard an explanation for why, tho. But it sounds like OP is not storing cells so much as preparing them to be ready for use when needed, in a year if it takes that long.

sirpetr

Newly Enlightened
Many recommend, when storing cells for long periods, only charging them to ~3.7V-3.85V. I haven't heard an explanation for why, tho. But it sounds like OP is not storing cells so much as preparing them to be ready for use when needed, in a year if it takes that long.
Because this voltage is somekind of neutral voltage for the chemistry used and cells with this voltage age the less. There are two aging effects, if I recall right, one happen in lower voltages and one in upper voltage. Indicated voltage value is a compromise, sweet spot for longetivity.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I discharge down to 3.6v/3.7v if I'm not going to be using them for 3-4 months and they then go into the fridge.

Leaving them at 100% SOC for a year may rob you of 1-2% capacity.

Normal self discharge is in the neighborhood of 1-2%.

Chris

Duster1671

Enlightened
Here's an anecdote on li-ion capacity loss over time:

I bought a pair of AW 2600mAh protected 18650 cells in 2011. When they were new they measured 2400mAh actual capacity and after 10 years they were down to 2100mAh. Moderate use, mostly stored in a partially charged state.

Good batteries don't lose capacity very quickly unless they're used hard, misused, stored at high temperature, etc.

fulee9999

Enlightened
I have some Sanyo reds that I forgot about for more than a year, still over 4 volts ( 4.07 if I recall correctly ) from full charge