18650 maintenance

greeny1

Newly Enlightened
I've recently bought a new laptop and I discovered a setting which allows you to limit the charge on the battery to 80% of capacity. Reading some of the info linked above this looks like a great option as it could increase the battery life by 4 times. Luckily this is a long lasting battery so even at 80% capacity it lasts around 6 hours.

I would never have chosen this option if I hadn't read this thread. I very much had the mentality of NiCad maintenance burnt into my brain.

This could be especially useful on a laptop as it may sit for days just with the power cord connected.

turbostreetracer

Newly Enlightened
Re: Increase Performance And Longevity

Rather than use sandpaper which will damage the surface coating, you will find a soft pencil eraser will do just fine removing oxidization.

Norm

Thanks for the suggestion.
Using sandpaper is tedious and tough to accurately pinpoint the contacts without scraping the outer rubber covering.

nbp

Flashaholic

How does one know when li-ions have reached the point where they ought to be recycled and replaced? I see a lot of info around on how to take care of your of li-ions from the standpoint of charging, but when do I toss mine out and buy new ones? They get recharged every couple of weeks and are probably never below 50% or so when I recharge them.

Norm

Retired Administrator

How does one know when li-ions have reached the point where they ought to be recycled and replaced? I see a lot of info around on how to take care of your of li-ions from the standpoint of charging, but when do I toss mine out and buy new ones? They get recharged every couple of weeks and are probably never below 50% or so when I recharge them.

When do you know your Li-Ion battery is at end of life cycles?

Norm

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Re: Battery lifetime - Topping off battery charge - good idea, bad idea, does it matt

Poppy
Table 3: Estimated recoverable capacity when storing Li-ion for one year at various temperatures
I do not know what the 3mo thing means? I can get 80% for about 2+ years at room temps on even Fair quality cells, fully charged and parked most of the time.
No way are they down to unrecoverable capacity of 41% at 1 year, unless it was a total junk cell to begin with.

<snip>

Thanks for taking the time to look at why I was confused/concerned. A one year half life would really stink.

I don't use flashlights at work and my cells will likely die a death due to old age rather than rechargeing cycles. I intend to use them primarily for search and rescue, and it would be a heck of a bad time when I am out in the woods, to find out that the cells lost a lot of their capacity. It takes $50-$60 to feed a 3x XML search light for 1.5-2 hours, and with 12 hour nights, that's a lot of money for batteries (at least when it is coming out of my wallet.) I'm sure that I'll be running it at lower lumens to conserve battery run times, and cut costs. I guess I'll buy 25% of my battery stockpile each year to replace the lost capacity due to old age, or something like that.

Zeus33

Newly Enlightened

Rather than use sandpaper which will damage the surface coating, you will find a soft pencil eraser will do just fine removing oxidization.

Norm

Have you ever used ProGold Norm? Excellent product for cleaning/preserving all electrical connections.