18650 Primary Battery

T45

Enlightened
Why hasn't a manufacturer ever made a 18650 Primary(Non-rechargeable) battery? Any specific reason? Would any of you CPFers buy a 18650 Primary? Just curious about this situation.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that they make 17500 and 18500s... Look up Li-SOCl2 cells... I imagine it's only a matter of time before someone comes up with one...
Those Li-SoCl2s in 1/2AA size look like they could be fun to make a little pocket rocket out of a 1xAA host...

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe that Saft makes lithium primaries that are close in size to Li-Ion rechargeables. However, the versions I've handled are "low current" meaning they're used for very low usage equipment [remote datalogging devices] that may be located in inaccessible locations for 5 - 10 yrs before requiring a battery replacement.

uknewbie

Banned
Why hasn't a manufacturer ever made a 18650 Primary(Non-rechargeable) battery? Any specific reason? Would any of you CPFers buy a 18650 Primary? Just curious about this situation.

Doubt very much I would buy one. I hate disposable batteries. Prefer to know I can charge mine back up and be ready to go again in a few hours, not having to stockpile or wait for a new delivery before I can use my lights.

What would be the benefit of an 18650 primary over a re-chargeable?

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The benefit would just be more waste for the recycle bin if one went that route, i also like to know that my batts are charged and ready to use when leaving my home.

tolkaze

Enlightened
Depends on the end voltage and capacity I guess. If they put out a nominal 3.7v and had better capacity, I would try them, if they had the same capacity as now and a higher voltage (6v) I would consider them also. But I think that if it was a 3V cell, unless it had exceptional capacity, I wouldn't bother with it. Having said that, a 2xCR123a pack for quick swapping suits me fine at the moment

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
They used to make pack of 3 B size cells as a 4.5 volt version.
Not exactly 18650 but pretty close size.
There are no demands for these type of primaries these days.

Last edited: