18650 really a battery or just a sngle cell?

JackDD

Newly Enlightened
Ni-cad's and Nmhd's are 1.25v/cell but I've read that Li-ion are 3.7v/cell. If that's true, how do they make 1.5v AA Li-ion rechargeables? Confused.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a single cell. But people call them batteries just like they call AA's batteries

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ni-cad's and Nmhd's are 1.25v/cell but I've read that Li-ion are 3.7v/cell. If that's true, how do they make 1.5v AA Li-ion rechargeables? Confused.

They don't. They make 1.7V Lithium non-rechargables.....

Well... OK I guess there is a company that has now added a DC/DC converter to Lithium-Ion cell and adjusted the output to 1.5V ... so in a way they have done it ...

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Strictly speaking, an 18650 is a single cell. It produces the voltage of three NiMH or Nicad cells because the chemistry produces a higher voltage. But although there are 1.5V (1.7V, actually) lithium primary cells available, there are no 1.5V lithium ion cells.

BTW, 'battery' is one situation where the popular usage of the word has replaced the technical definition (another example is 'air conditioning', which used to include heating and ventilation along with cooling). People have been referring to single cells as batteries for so long that it is completely acceptable to refer to a single cell as a battery.

JackDD

Newly Enlightened
Why I ask....I recently bought several LED flashlights that can use 18650 or 3-AAA cells. I found that the 3-AAA's (Energizer Lithium Ultimate) will run ~1-1.5 hours on bright. At $5 each, that is $15/hour to run that light on 3-AAA's. I hated to spend the cash up front, but I did. I bought a charger (Intellicharger I4) and 6 Panasonic 18650, 3400 mah. Measuring amperage, I calculate this cell can run the same light on high ~ 6 hours...then I can recharge it and run another 6 hours. A dramatic change, both in runtime and overall expense. Probably, that 6 hours calculated is more like 3-4 hours actual due to circuitry losses, LED cutoff, etc.

I have two LED lights that are designed to run on AA cells. One a Army TAC-180 that runs on 3-AA's and the other a Minimag upgraded to LED that runs on 2-AA's. Wanting to use the same technology (Li-Ion) in these two lights, a search brought up Li-Ion AA's that are headlined as 1.5v, but in details/spec's. are listed as 3.7v. Thus the confusion. Link below is typical of what I found. I'm currently running both on Energizer Lithium Ultimates.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/1-5v-aa-rechargeable-battery-trustfire_1346691322.html?s=p

Last edited: