18650 room lamp?

sonomajoe

Newly Enlightened
When the power goes out - might be nice to have something like a hanging camper lantern that would be good to light up
A bedroom like a regular desk lamp
Or overhead fixture . So far I have just found those tiny pull up less or a rube with a diffuser on top. I usually use a large 3 18650 battery flashlight - thrunite that has a flat end so I can stand it up - my go to flashlights are the jet beam bc40 ( I have 3 of them from various years) -
I live in sonoma California -so winds and fires abd electricity shutoffs are a way of life

Thanks - joe

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Oh, check out the LT1: https://www.sofirnlight.com/product...ble-color-temperature-super-long-working-time

It is a really great lantern with 4x 18650 and tint ramping to get the color tint you want. And runs for a long time.

Also, surprisingly, the Olight Obulb MC is really nice add on for smaller rooms: https://www.olightstore.com/obulb-mc-multi-color-bulb-light.html
I have a pair of tiny 1x18650 lanterns that sport about 300 lumens output with medium and low and red modes that work ok. One has to consider how much light you need, what size room you have to cover etc it may be a single 18650 powered lantern would suffice otherwise multiple batteries would have to be considered. I've seen 3 and 4 18650 battery lanterns but the cost of these goes way up in price from about $10-$20 for single cell lanterns to $50-$100 and up for 4 cell ones. A long time ago when LEDs were rather limited in output when luxeon 1 had about 30 lumens output big fluorescent lanterns were king of battery lanterns and the bigger ones could do about 300 lumens for about 24 hours off 8D cells. a single 18650 lantern probably is good for about 4-6 hours or so and likely a 4 cell lantern could do close to that. If you need more than 300 lumens for days and days without a power source to recharge batteries you may have to stock up on them or consider even a gas lantern but likely the power outages don't last even a day I figure on average.

sonomajoe

Newly Enlightened
Oh, check out the LT1: https://www.sofirnlight.com/product...ble-color-temperature-super-long-working-time

It is a really great lantern with 4x 18650 and tint ramping to get the color tint you want. And runs for a long time.

Also, surprisingly, the Olight Obulb MC is really nice add on for smaller rooms: https://www.olightstore.com/obulb-mc-multi-color-bulb-light.html
Thanks fir the leads - the sofirn www site is not available - but Amazon has the lantern light - the olight bulbs would be great as a nightlight but need motion detectors to make them eirk
As nightlights . I use xiaomi Yeelight nightlights .. the older ones - looking at the lt1 looks like my flashlight woth a diffuser … maybe I should see if I can turn mine into a lamp !

Thanks !

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could probaly 3D print diffusers for the lights you have.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are several Energizer lamps that use a clear flat panel with holes (works as a diffuser) that run on AA//NiMH cells. They work well either as table-top or as hung lanterns, have a pretty clear cool white glow, and do a real good job of lighting up an area. The one I have now is about the size of a paperback book and does high/low. The larger one can use either 4 or 8 AA cells and has a true variable light level. My experience is that they work best when hung over the area to be lit.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are several Energizer lamps that use a clear flat panel with holes (works as a diffuser) that run on AA//NiMH cells. They work well either as table-top or as hung lanterns, have a pretty clear cool white glow, and do a real good job of lighting up an area. The one I have now is about the size of a paperback book and does high/low. The larger one can use either 4 or 8 AA cells and has a true variable light level. My experience is that they work best when hung over the area to be lit.
Those work pretty well, except for the oragnge rubber strap handle on the 4 AA "pop-up" lantern that always breaks. The bigger 4 or 8 AA version's kick stand seems like it will break easy too (I have not used the kick stand on mine very much) and it looks like it is not very water resistant. But the diffuser screens do work well.

bubbatime

Newly Enlightened
I have several Streamlight Siege lanterns and like them. You can get them in models that use AA, 18650, D batteries or built in rechargeable battery.

Gemster

Newly Enlightened
Not meeting your specs but the Milwaukee 12 volt lantern is my go to light for working in the garage, when the power goes out and most other utility chores around the house. It seems to run forever on a charge. And it uses the same rechargable batteries that all their cordless tools of the same voltage use.

Donald

Newly Enlightened
I agree with Showngo! Very good options. I like that since I purchased mine, they have now added a powerbank option to the LT1. It has so many options it can keep one entertained, but in a pinch hit the power button and ramp it up or down. Works just fine. As for the Obulb they are very versatile. They also stick fine to ferrous wallboard corner beads and are IPX7. Although the MC version may be fun I would lean towards the original for emergencies as the low supposedly has a longer runtime. The new MC version does get brighter though and runs for the same amount of time as the original. I'm still scratching my head on those times.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I'd like to suggest that you take a look at this Power Outage Thread there is a section that we compare some lanterns with beam shots to ceiling bounced flashlights. Very interesting reading.

In the Power outage thread, we pretty much agreed that MOST people will be happy with 100 ceiling bounced lumens, we didn't cover lanterns much. Most 3D unregulated lanterns will deliver between 70 and 110 lumens after the first six for 30 hours or more. IMO to maximize comfort, it would be good to have TWO of these lanterns so that even 30 hours into an outage, the combined output of two lanterns would still be over 140 lumens. Very... comfortable. :)

I was surprised to find that an alkaline D cell, has similar capacity as an 18650 cell, when the demand on it is low, at or below 1 Amp, it does even better at less than 500 ma. see here.

fuyume

Enlightened

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I'd like to suggest that you take a look at this Power Outage Thread there is a section that we compare some lanterns with beam shots to ceiling bounced flashlights. Very interesting reading.

In the Power outage thread, we pretty much agreed that MOST people will be happy with 100 ceiling bounced lumens, we didn't cover lanterns much. Most 3D unregulated lanterns will deliver between 70 and 110 lumens after the first six for 30 hours or more. IMO to maximize comfort, it would be good to have TWO of these lanterns so that even 30 hours into an outage, the combined output of two lanterns would still be over 140 lumens. Very... comfortable. :)

I was surprised to find that an alkaline D cell, has similar capacity as an 18650 cell, when the demand on it is low, at or below 1 Amp, it does even better at less than 500 ma. see here
Years ago before we got 100+ lumens/watt LEDs D cells and even CFLs did fine but when 18650s started to get over 2600mah and LEDs able to put out 300 lumens the reign of D cells was over. The first 3D rayovac LED lantern that sold and was popular few talk about these days. Personally I've gotten too use to guilt free lumens I have rechargeables in most every light I use and use them whenever I want now compared to a 8D fluorescent lantern I probably barely put an hour of use on it because the batteries in it cost about $10 to replace or more. Even 3D cells cost a bunch so if you use such lanterns enough the cost of batteries alone could pay for an upgrade to 18650 based lanterns.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Lynx_Arc,
I agree with you. Every light that I USE, has rechargeables in it. The cell I prefer is 18650. I have a bunch of them that are still at the 3.7 volts they were shipped at, and a bunch that are in lights, and others that are fully charged waiting to be put into a light as a replacement.

That however does not say that I don't have any D cells. I also have half a dozen 3 D cell lanterns. There is some beauty in alkaline cells. As they deplete, their voltage gradually drops. As their voltage drops, the LED output drops, and so does the demand on the battery. So as the light gets dimmer, the run time gets longer and longer. So if you need a light for a LONG time, and can get by with low levels of light, then an alkaline cell may serve you well.

I gave away, or threw out my CFL lanterns, they are more efficient than incandescent, but don't hold a candle to an LED.

Oooops! I just checked, I haven't replaced my D cell battery stash in years. I have a 4 pack better if used by date 2005! Next time I am at the Home Depot, I'll pick up a 12 pack of Rayovac D's. Guaranteed for 10 years, and only about a buck a piece.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Lynx_Arc,
I agree with you. Every light that I USE, has rechargeables in it. The cell I prefer is 18650. I have a bunch of them that are still at the 3.7 volts they were shipped at, and a bunch that are in lights, and others that are fully charged waiting to be put into a light as a replacement.

That however does not say that I don't have any D cells. I also have half a dozen 3 D cell lanterns. There is some beauty in alkaline cells. As they deplete, their voltage gradually drops. As their voltage drops, the LED output drops, and so does the demand on the battery. So as the light gets dimmer, the run time gets longer and longer. So if you need a light for a LONG time, and can get by with low levels of light, then an alkaline cell may serve you well.

I gave away, or threw out my CFL lanterns, they are more efficient than incandescent, but don't hold a candle to an LED.

Oooops! I just checked, I haven't replaced my D cell battery stash in years. I have a 4 pack better if used by date 2005! Next time I am at the Home Depot, I'll pick up a 12 pack of Rayovac D's. Guaranteed for 10 years

Back 15 or so years ago when first and second genertaion LEDs were the norm and 1 mode lights and lanterns were also the norm and no regulation was also the norm many people were in love with forever dimming lights. I was also in love with the idea of a light that could run for days off batteries in an outage as I grew up with incans and even fluorescent lights/lanterns still required one to ration batteries in an outage as they could not take advantage of battery power when it hit a certain point the light from them vanished.
Now we have LEDs that are 3-5 times or more efficient a 30 lumen light that takes once took a watt of power now only takes about 1/3 to 1/5 of a watt and many lights and lanterns have lower modes that pretty much the need to slowly dim a light from max to a firefly fart output is now becoming irritating as instead of slow forced stepdown we can just choose to run them at a lower mode to greatly extend runtime such that a single 3000mah 18650 lantern could in use match or beat that of a D cell LED lantern. You could now use a 3-4AA lantern now even instead of an old D lantern.
C and D alkalines to me are for the most part a waste of money in anything you use more than once in a blue moon.

To put it simply older lanterns compared to new ones may be a similar comparison to LED vs CFL lanterns.

Flashlightmaster2021

Newly Enlightened
When the power goes out - might be nice to have something like a hanging camper lantern that would be good to light up
A bedroom like a regular desk lamp
Or overhead fixture . So far I have just found those tiny pull up less or a rube with a diffuser on top. I usually use a large 3 18650 battery flashlight - thrunite that has a flat end so I can stand it up - my go to flashlights are the jet beam bc40 ( I have 3 of them from various years) -
I live in sonoma California -so winds and fires abd electricity shutoffs are a way of life

Thanks - joe
Get a lucy solar lantern or camping lantern for amazon

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put a nail in the wood of the ceiling, with paracord 275 I hung a Fenix CL26R and a CL09 exactly above my bed

Attachments

• IMG_0553.JPG
    IMG_0553.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 117

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forgot to add - Nitecore sells some L-series lights that are basically small lanterns that work great for area lights. I've got an LA10 that's about the size of a lipstick tube, with three light levels. One can use it as a kind of shotgun-style flashlight, but it also allows the user to extend the light an inch or so so that it acts lie a lantern. Has a magnetic base as well an a lanyard that can be used to suspend it over a table or whatever.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
You can buy diffusers for flashlights to turn them into lanterns then all you need it tail standing and maybe also a way to hang them upside down like in a tent or tree branch or from a ceiling light fixture.