18650 vs 17670 question

lateralus180

Newly Enlightened
The only rechargeables that fit my Surefire G2 LED are the 17670's, and it's a very snug fit. I would like to get a 400+ lumen drop in to replace the dated 80 lumen P60.

Will a 3.7v 17670 have the same output as a 3.7v 18650? They both have the same voltage so I don't see why not. The 17670 would have a lower run time though. :nana:

moderator007

Enlightened
The output would be very much the same. Some 18650's have a lower internal resistance than others. So it is possible that with high quality batteries you could gain a little more output. But its probably not enough to see the difference.
You could have the body bored out to fit 18650's. You would have alot more options with 18650's. Your run time would also increase as you said. Panasonic has 3100 mah 18650's. They are various vendors selling these with the protection circuit (pcb). They are proven to be good batteries.
They are various people at cpf that do machine boring on the body to fit a 18650. From what i saw they were resonable priced. Maybe a option for you.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you bore out a G2?

Is a heat generating 400L drop-in a good idea in a plastic flashlight, even with a metal bezel?

lateralus180

Newly Enlightened
The G2 is mostly plastic, with what seems to be a 0.5mm metal sleeve on the inside of the battery compartment that flares out to 1mm at the end.
Thanks for the responses

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
You won't be able to bore out an G2/G3 for 18650 because of the thin metal sleeve. The sleeve is needed to complete the circuit of the flashlight. If you run a high powered drop-in in this body, you'll have to be conservative with how long you run the light since the nitrolon body is not real good with heat conduction. You could destroy the LED real quick. I have a G2 and I love it. You can abuse the nitrolon body and it will still look brand new. The only thing I don't like is I can't use a high powered drop in with it, so what I use is high cri ssc p4 drop-in. Not much light but the color rendering is awesome and I can use it for relatively long periods of time without any reservation and plus have long run times despite having to use a 17670.