18650 vs. CR123A rechargeable bats

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
That right there pretty much solves the issue then! I don't really want to invest in a new tube for the light I have.

For $25 you can not only get a new "tube" which will work with an 18650 cell, but an entire working Surefire 6P-clone LED flashlight of very good quality, including Q5 or R2 LED lamp assembly, bezel with stainless steel lens retaining ring, 18650 cell, and carrying case... shipping included! I'm referring to the Solarforce L2 available from:

http://www.solarforcestore.com/servlet/the-18650-FLASHLIGHT/Categories

I just bought two L2s (6P clones) and a L2m (3P clone) and I assure you they are every bit as up to the job as the numerous Surefire models I have had for years. Today, Solarforce makes an exceptionally nice Surefire-clone for a remarkably low price. You can co-mingle/interchange any parts of the Solarforce L2 or L2m with your Surefire 6P parts. If you doubt the quality, do some research on this forum.

I'd sure recommend springing for the L2 - 18650 model, even if just for the tube with some great extra parts. Solarforce bezels have stainless steel lens rings vs. plastic on the SF 6P. And the Solarforce tube is excellent quality. If I were you, I'd get the L2 18650 flashlight and move your Surefire 6P tailcap over to the Solarforce 18650 flashlight, use the 18650 cell and never look back. $25 including shipping. For real. Check 'em out!

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
For $25 you can not only get a new "tube" which will work with an 18650 cell, but an entire working Surefire 6P-clone LED flashlight of very good quality, including Q5 or R2 LED lamp assembly, bezel with stainless steel lens retaining ring, 18650 cell, and carrying case... shipping included! I'm referring to the Solarforce L2 available from:

I just bought two L2s (6P clones) and a L2m (3P clone) and I assure you they are every bit as up to the job as the numerous Surefire models I have had for years. Today, Solarforce makes an exceptionally nice Surefire-clone for a remarkably low price. You can co-mingle/interchange any parts of the Solarforce L2 or L2m with your Surefire 6P parts. If you doubt the quality, do some research on this forum.

I'd sure recommend springing for the L2 - 18650 model, even if just for the tube with some great extra parts. Solarforce bezels have stainless steel lens rings vs. plastic on the SF 6P. And the Solarforce tube is excellent quality. If I were you, I'd get the L2 18650 flashlight and move your Surefire 6P tailcap over to the Solarforce 18650 flashlight, use the 18650 cell and never look back. $25 including shipping. For real. Check 'em out!

I really can't argue with that. The only major problem with the solarforce is the cheese reverse clicky on the tailcap that likes to cause problems and bind up on the body of the light and pull out of the housing. It's a fixable issue. having said that, even the reverse clickers are very reliable, and if you slap your Z41 from the stock 6P on there, with the bezel of your choice, your reliability compared with being on the stock 6P stays the same.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really can't argue with that. The only major problem with the solarforce is the cheese reverse clicky on the tailcap that likes to cause problems and bind up on the body of the light and pull out of the housing. It's a fixable issue. having said that, even the reverse clickers are very reliable, and if you slap your Z41 from the stock 6P on there, with the bezel of your choice, your reliability compared with being on the stock 6P stays the same.

I've had no problems at all with the tailcap switches on about six Solarforce lights that I have, though I am not a fan or reverse clickies. One of them being a Solarforce fwd clicky (the one with the soft, silent switch, which is actually pretty cool, though the tailcap itself is a bit on the large side.)

Have to say, though, that my favorite tailcaps of all time are the Surefire Z-41 momentary/twisty and the Z-59 momentary/clicky. Pop either one of those on the Solarforce L2 18650 (6P size) or L2m (3P size) and you've got a kick-a$$ light of awesome quality and top shelf reliability.

And to really frost that beautiful cake.... pop a Malkoff M60 lamp assembly into the head, an AW protected 18650 cell into the body, and you've got one of the finest flashlights you could ask for with outstanding output and beam, very long runtime, graceful decline of output, and awesome reliability. Recharge the 18650 at will for guilt-free lumens galore. Solarforce L2 $25, Z-41 or Z-59 tailcap $40, M60 $55 = $120 and never look back.

Last edited:

michiganstud

Enlightened

This light looks great!! I wish I would seen this before I purchased my Surefire. What I did was purchased a Xenon Surefire, tossed the xenon and dropped in my Q5 bulb from another light I had. Works great.

Sometimes I feel so dumb for asking so many questions on here, but everytime I purchase something I always find something better later after my purchase. :eek:

Do you happen to know if the outside diameter of the tube is the same width as the Surefire? One of the reasons I went with the surefire brand name is because I could easily find a belt holster in high gloss leather for my duty belt.

I'm considering buying the tube and bezel replacements.

michiganstud

Enlightened
DHart....do you know what the run time is of either the Q5 or R2 running on either 123a's or the 18650's?

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
michigan... the L2 should fit whatever case you can fit a 6P into... unless you get the crenelated lens retaining ring, which makes the light a little longer.

Sorry, I don't know the runtimes. But you're going to have the longest, for sure, with the 18650.

Sounds like you just need to get yourself an L2 18650 from Solarforce and a charger and a couple of 18650's and see what all the fuss is about! ;) You won't be buying more batteries for quite a while (unless you buy more lights that need 'em!)

Last edited:

notsobrite

Newly Enlightened

dhart- how long did it take for shipping to the states?

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok...this is kinda off target but what brand of 18650 / and charger set-up would you guys recommend!?! Battery station has a huge supply but I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for. It would be for my Fenix TK10.

I sometimes use an AW 17670 in my TK10 for longer runtime. It flickers a little on high but runs fine on low.

You can find runtimes here: http://www.light-reviews.com/fenix_tk10_q5/

thospress

Newly Enlightened

I am amazed at the quality of the Solarforce L2 (in all of its variations and itereations) and agree generally with your recommendation. I am puzzled, however, why you suggest using the Surefire 6P tailcap (a twisty) in place of the Solarforce clicky. Clickies are much handier and even if the Solarforce tailcap fails (and its never happened to me or anyone I know), the cost of replacement is under $10.