18650XT

StagMoose

Enlightened
Welcome abroad the XT train. They are fantastic. Just recommending another friend buy one at this very moment. Really a great light, and with the 5degree diffuser is basically like a standard hound dog with the smoother beam.

Hope you spot some bears

thermal guy

Flashaholic
The XT is a great light. And yes it still surprises me every time I use it. Low punching way out as well.for such a small compact light it's got some guts!

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spending lots of time with my XT as well. I really love this light. I'm a massive thrower fan and this is the exact size format of my preference and of standard use.

Regarding the beam, initially before use I was worried about the "rings" I have heard on this light and was concerned about having to use a diffuser. I know in particular the CSLNM1 White 1 really can be a nasty bugger behind optics, but I am MOST impressed with how well controlled the artifacts are in this beam. It's almost reflector-ish in it's fading off on a white wall. In use it's not noticeable as a sort of "ring" but rather just a slight spill outside of the hotspot- which is ideal for me.

Really fantastic light. Perfect balance of candela and throw for a light this size. This is a great practical "farm" light or for anyone with a decent sized property to leave by your back door.

Lemurian

Newly Enlightened
Is there a preferred way to access the battery?

Also, the tailcap spring makes noises when I go to lockout, so does likewise accessing the battery from the head.

Accessing the battery exclusively via the tailcap seems bad. Later, I tried loosening the tailcap a wee bit, then going to the head and that seemed reduce tailcap spring noise.

There is a slight ring at the tailcap battery end. Is this concerning (at least at some point)?

Advice/knowledge is welcome. Thanks.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Never from the tail. Change the battery from the head. That spring is so tight and sharp it will drill a hole in the end of your batteries like a drill bit after a short time. Trust me. Have lose a few 18500 and 18650's when I first started.

Lemurian

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, Thermal guy!

How thick is that business-end of an 18650? It did not take much for the "drill bit" to get going. Was it pretty obvious the cell was caput? I want my 18650 experiences to be boring rather than spectacular.

StagMoose

Enlightened
I've used a small pair of needle nose pliers and rolled the tip on a couple sharp ones. Makes a rounded end that doesn't drill.

I have not drilled too far into a cell to render it dead. If you are using protected cells the bottom may just be a covering. If they are non protected I would imagine drilling into one would be an exhilarating and dangerous experience.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
"And now the the lux has tripled!"

The Lux may have tripled but the total lumens output has dropped. The regular HD hits what, about 1000 lumens?

I love my 'regular' HD, it's just a perfect all around device.

For high lux, I have the Super.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, but the XT slaughters the Super in lux delivery, from a head that'll fit into a cargo shorts pocket. I really like the standard and 1860 Hound Dogs.

I haven't used the XT for a few weeks......I should remedy that.

Latest posts