18v Ryobi/Hitachi/Etc bulb upgrade?

AndyInNYC

Newly Enlightened
This has been asked in the past, but technology advances ...

I have a Hitachi flashlight that uses the drill's battery. The bulb is the standard (for these) 18v .6 amp. Same battery as the Ryobi P700

Is there a brighter than incandescent bulb that people are now using for these? The youtube videos I have seen show a bulb that will likely last longer, but really isn't better/brighter. My eyes are getting old, so I'm looking for an improvement, not just 'different for differences sake'.

Thanks for any input.

flash3b

Newly Enlightened
I have the same kind of light that came in a nice carrying case with a drill, charger, 2 batteries & room for some drill & driver bits. When the original incandescent bulb burned out on mine, I looked for an LED replacement bulb. They're available, for around $10. But then I saw that Hitachi sells a newer LED version of the same light for $14. It fits in the case just the same way & I think the reflector is designed for the LED, so it gives a better pattern than using an LED in the original light. My only disappointment was finding that it just has an on-off switch, so only one power level (very bright).

AndyInNYC

Newly Enlightened
Pity I jumped yesterday and just ordered regular and LED bulbs. I may have to do an Amazon return and replace the whole thing for +/- less.

Thanks for the answer.

Andrew

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've been using one of these for years now, and it's just like the most perfect Platonic ideal of a work light I can imagine.

I should really buy some more old Ryobi 18v hosts, because in both joy-per-dollar and utility-per-dollar, these things utterly rock.

Nothing Ryobi has to offer is as good as the old blue anglehead with that monster showerhead lamp, so far as I can tell.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened

I've been using one of these for years now, and it's just like the most perfect Platonic ideal of a work light I can imagine.

I should really buy some more old Ryobi 18v hosts, because in both joy-per-dollar and utility-per-dollar, these things utterly rock.

Nothing Ryobi has to offer is as good as the old blue anglehead with that monster showerhead lamp, so far as I can tell.
Confused, nothing in that page fits Ryobi.
"old blue anglhead" ?????

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Confused, nothing in that page fits Ryobi.
"old blue anglhead" ?????
ryobi_flashlight.jpg

It's something like four generations behind the state of the art, of which I gleefully enjoy one as a four-day power-failure light. But these boys had a big head that unscrews easily for a reflector-and-emitter swap, so…

The trigger is a forward-clicky mechanism, and the head can pivot by 90° if you'd rather hold it like a flashlight than an anglehead, or want to ceiling-bounce some area light.

AndyInNYC

Newly Enlightened
So, thanks to Amazon, I ordered a replacement bulb, a 10 pack of regular bulbs and then bought the new LED version. I never opened the 10 pack.

I have the Hitachi light which came with my drill set.
I bought this LED light: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FLLR2TY/?tag=cpf0b6-20
I also purchased the replacement Hitachi which is designed for LED and has a different reflector.

Here are 3 pictures taken in my otherwise dark basement.
One picture is both lights on at once - the new design LED is on the right.
I then took a picture with each light on independently.

While the pictures might not show it well, the new LED is much better - bigger focus and bigger overall lighting. The old light with the new LED isn't bad (and I'd likely be happy if I hadn't bought the new version), but $9 for a new bulb vs $14 for a new redesigned light doesn't make me want to save the $5.
Drill Flashlight Compaarison - Old w LED Lights.jpg
Drill Flashlight Compaarison - New LED.jpg
Drill Flashlight Compaarison - Both Lights.jpg

Reactions: xxo