Titanium L35 update

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
We get frequent emails asking for an update and things are coming to fruition now so I thought I'd post an update. I know it's taking a bit longer than you had all hoped for the L35 to come out but it's because we made some significant changes to the project. Right now we're in the midst of finalizing a few details, designing the packaging, and writing the instructions so actual production will begin quite soon - I'll update this post with an expected release date as soon as I am able; at this point I think June is realistic.

The L35 as, as many of you know, is more than just an N30 with a Lithium battery pack. As Daniel, who has been a FANTASTIC advisor, supporter and champion of this project has frequently pointed out, there's a number of other improvements in store.

Speaking of that battery pack though, you'll be interested to know that we've upgraded the capacity from the original spec to 5.6Ah. The prototypes are testing at about 1:48-1:52 run time - we were expecting more like 1:30 - while lowering the weight of the light by about 9oz. compared to the N30.

Because there has been significant N30 demand outside of the US the L35 will be offered with a 100-240V autoswitching AC adapter. Also, as a result of international demand the L35 will be CE compliant and we're working now to try and ensure ROHS compliant as well.

We've also developed a DC Car cord for the L35 so that it can be charged in a car or boat. The DC car cord was a bit complicated because cigarette lighter adapters output ~12V and the lights need ~15V to charge so we needed to develop a circuit to increase the voltage and a plug to hold the new circuit - the result is a very clean, compact unit that we're very happy with.

We plan to include both the 100-240V AC and the DC car cord with the L35. The multivoltage AC adaptor for the L35 is not compatible with the N30 but the DC Car cord is compatible and will eventually be offered for the N30 as an accessory.

The typical L35 will be slightly brighter than the typical N30 - the L35 will output up to 3500L. Please remember though that there's enough variation in HID bulbs though that one could theoretically have an N30 that's as bright as an L35 - but that would simply mean that the N30 had a really awesome bulb and the L35 a more typical one. On average though the L35 should be about 10% brighter.

Because we envision the L35 as a great entry into the HID market for law enforcement/security/military and tactical users the L35 features a very high grade of ABS plastic which makes it even stronger than the N30 - already a very strong light. We've also changed the ABS color to black and are finishing it with a low glare, high grip, rubberized finish which will cover every plastic surface of the light. The L35 with the rubberized black finish looks AMAZING.

We're still working on a few other details - I'll post more when I am able.

daveman

Enlightened
Congratulations, Matt, hope you can bring this thing to the market without a hiccup.

I do hope those nifty LEDs on top of the main gun will still be part of the L35? I find the LEDs a deciding advantage for the N30s over much more expensive lights such as Polarions and Beasts. It'd be a shame for the L35 to not take advantage of that.

Good luck with the project.

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
Whats the chance we'll get to see a pic of the L35 with this black finish soon? I'd love to check it out since I've bounced around the idea of trying to find a different finish to put on my N30. Just haven't figured out what color or what to use to do it.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L35 will have the LED's just like the N30.

Pics will have to wait a little bit as the prototypes aren't exactly camera ready.

Pricing is not yet set but we're trying to keep it as reasonable as possible, also.

Patriot

Flashaholic
heh - we're working on it!

You would not believe the million little details that need to be covered...

Matt, I've kinda lost track of what has transpired over the last 6 months with the L35. Is its design still roughly based on the N30 still or is it a completely different animal?

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I look forward to purchasing my first HID! The L35 sounds like a winner(as does the N30)

:popcorn:

Mayo

Last edited:

TallNHairyDave

Newly Enlightened
I was tempted by the N30 - good price point, good rep, not too silly money to purchase and get shipped to the UK, but I think I'm going to wait for the L35 to come out before I decide!

Sounds like that's going to :rock:

Dave

Patriot

Flashaholic
Basically it's the same mold as the N30.

Ok, thanks for the hint Matt. At least we know the size range and that it's based roughly on the N30 chassis. I'm really looking forward to it. The decrease weight is a nice plus to the extra performance.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Matt,

Do you anticipate eventually producing a flashlight-configured light?

Brightnorm

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's timely that you ask - we've been talking about that...we're also tossing around the idea of a very high end 'L35' in an Aluminun HAIII chassis that's highly water resistant, etc....ala Polarion but at a more earthly price point. :)

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
Matt has done a great job of finishing up this project.

One thing I will say so that he does not have heart ache when the L35's ship is to remember the HID's have a break in time before they reach full brightness.
The reason this is important is because if you compare a brand new L35 with a properly broken in N30, the N30 will more then likely look brighter until the L35 has gone through it's break in period.

Most people that own N30's that I know use them a LOT so this is why I am mentioning this information. Matt has worked very hard to pick up the pieces that Wayne left hanging with the manufacturer and he certainly will not need people with a new L35 and a well broken in N30 calling and complaining that the L35 is not bright enough.

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.