[GUIDE] Mag623 Build w/pics

299792458m/s

Newly Enlightened
**While posting in another thread about my Mag623 build, I received several PMs about how my build was going, etc. So, I decided to post a pic by pic guide on how to build a Mag623.
***All pics are thumbnailed, so click on them for the full version. I have added notes to the pics to clarify my instructions.

>>>2D Mag623-The sexy beast that punches you hard in the wallet, but makes a decent batman signal on cloudy nights.<<<

I. Preparation

Materials needed:
  • A Tri-bore 2D Mag Host
  • Osram 64623 (or 64633) bulbs
  • An aluminum reflector
  • A glass lens
  • A High-Temp Switch mod or switch replacement
  • A 15.6V battery pack from LuxLuthor
  • A Universal Smart Chager
  • **Optional: An FM3V-2 replacement head (has alum reflector and glass lens)
  • **Optional: AW's MagD Incan Driver (switch replacement)
  • **Optional: A voltage meter or e-station (VERY useful-removes battery resting guesswork)
  1. A tri-bore 2D Mag host. If you have someone who can bore it for you, then any 2D Mag will work. Otherwise, I recommend using Jesus Hernandez right here on CPF. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/156080
  2. You will need to find an Osram 64623 (or 64633) bi-pin bulb. These can be found anywhere. Several members of CPF can get them for you, or you can go to ebay, amazon, google, etc.
  3. You will need a new aluminum reflector and glass lens. (The stock plastic ones will melt in seconds if you do not replace them.) Here is where Mag623 builds can diverge. You can keep the standard Mag head and get a new reflector and lens from CPF Member FiveMega from here: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=163470, and it will work fine; however, if you have the extra cash to spend, I (and others) highly recommend FiveMega's alternative FM3V-2 from here: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=174247. The FM3V-2 head is superior to a stock head because it is lightweight, has a smaller bulb opening, is capable of throwing a wider beam, and just plain looks good.
  4. You need a switch replacement. The stock Mag switch just sucks for what we are building. There are several alternatives around the CPF B/S/T board, but I highly recommend AW's Incan Driver found here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/177316. It is incredible. Besides the greatness of soft starting, you will find yourself using multi-mode more than you think. If you are going for a budget build, though, another board member, Kiu, offers a cheap alternative. The high-temp switch mod found here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/171607
  5. Lastly, you will need some juice to power this beast. Look no further than CPF's own LuxLuthor. Go to his thread here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/191890, and order a 1500mAh 2/3 A Cell 15.6V (13 cell) battery pack. There are alternatives to getting the juice you need, but there is no need to list them as Lux's stuff is top notch for a great price. Both budget and high-quality builds will want this pack. Check out a few of his recommended sites or your local hobby stores to get a Universal Smart Charger for your new pack.
Here are some pics of what you will need (the dremel is optional, but is much easier than sanding or chiseling):

II. Assembly

This is a relatively simple mod considering what you get out of it, so don't get apprehensive about tearing up the new mag. This guide assumes that you have already had the body tri-bored and are replacing the switch (since Kiu has his own guide for the high-temp mod).

1. First remove the head and tail cap from the mag body. Also take the spring from the tail cap and toss it aside. We won't be needing it.

2. Next, we are going to remove the switch from the body. Pinch the rubber button cover so it will pop out. Then, insert a 5/64 allen wrench into the button opening. There is a set screw about 1.25-1.5 inches deep inside the button. Once you feel the allen wrench slip into place, turn the wrench counterclockwise to loosen the switch. Remove the allen wrench, and the switch will now slide out the rear of the mag body.

3. Now, we need to remove the anodized coating from the inside of the tailcap so the batterypack can make contact. To do this, you can use sandpaper, honing stones, a chisel, a screwdriver, or any other number of crude methods--as long as the coating is removed. I prefer to use a dremel as it gets the job done quickly and provides a nice clean, smooth surface.

4. Now, we can begin reassembling our new creation. Take your switch replacement, and slide it in the rear of the mag. It is a slightly tighter fit, but should slide in with ease. If you are having difficulty getting it into place, ensure the set screw (used to lock the switch into place) is loosened. It must be flush with the side of the switch or slightly indented. If it is still too tight to fall into place, use your battery pack to gently push it into place. Line up the switch and tighten it down using the same method you used to take it out. The set screw for AW's Incan Driver is just above his button. Replace the rubber button cover, and you are off to the next step.

5. Now that you switch is secured, you can place a bulb into the bi-pin socket. REMEMBER: The oils from your skin can damage a Halo bulb, so open the bulb packaging only half way, starting from the end with the pins, and try not to touch the bulb at all. If you open the package only half way, you can put the bulb into place with the plastic seal still on, then remove the plastic. If you happen to touch the bulb, wipe it off with alcohol or acetone and let it dry before use.

6. Ok, we are almost done. All the hard stuff is out of the way. Next, replace the reflector and lens if you are keeping the old mag head. They simply drop in place. Then replace the head. If you went for FiveMega's FM3V-2 head, then just screw it in place.

7. Lastly, place Lux's battery pack in place, and replace the tailcap. (But don't forget to let it rest, and if you overcharge it, use your e-station/AW's low setting on the switch to discharge it to around 17V. Anything more than that will likely flash your bulb unless you sprung for the 64633. Incidentally, Lux's "Destructive Incan Bulb Test" thread is a godsend. It is found here:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=179748. Use it. (I've included a picture of my first charge to drive home the usefulness of a voltage meter/e-station. If I had popped this in right off the charge, I would have fried one or more $4 bulbs.)

Congratulations! There is your finished product (compared to a 3D Mag in the second pic and both a budget and pimped Mag623 in the third pic.)

III. Performance and Afterthoughts

A few of my favorite things about the 2D Mag623 build is its versatility and performance. A Mag623 can cost you less than a Mag85 build if you really cut corners (and outperform one by a wide margin), but the 2D Mag623 can also stand out from a collection if you have a few extra bucks to throw at it. Another added bonus is: because it compact enough to look like a normal Mag, but powerful enough to out-shine spotlights, it will scare pedestrians when you turn it on. Now go out and impress your friends and frighten your neighbors. You've earned it.

>>>4D Mag623-A portable sunbeam that will detach retinas at 10m without draining your checking account.<<<

******BEAM SHOTS COMING SOON. RAIN DELAYS :sick2:*******

******4D Mag623 MOD COMING SOON*******
******By requests, I'm going to make the 4D mod a budget build to demonstrate ballpark prices of each******

Last edited:

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
good job!;)

I think you have to say that the mod you did is the smaller but you can also make a MAG623 with a 4D mag...still using LUXLUTHOR high quality battery packs (AA cell type)...:wave:

299792458m/s

Newly Enlightened
good job!;)

I think you have to say that the mod you did is the smaller but you can also make a MAG623 with a 4D mag...still using LUXLUTHOR high quality battery packs (AA cell type)...:wave:

It's funny you mentioned that. I had a back-and-forth with Taboot in another thread about the 4D mod, and now I'm probably going to convert one of my 4Ds to a 623 as well. :laughing:

I'll update the thread when I get done with it. :naughty:

Tarlach

Newly Enlightened
For a newbie, can you please add a few quick numbers to the end of your post to give an idea of what is accomplished?

i.e. Runtime and est lumens, mayabe a outdoor illumination pic (or some way of quantifying output) :confused:

I have a 6D ROP and I think it's time to step up a level. I'm a bit worried about terrible runtimes from a 'shorty solution' and I have no idea what the 'real world' difference between the ROP and a 623 (or similar).

Otherwise, thanks for spelling it all out nice and simple :thumbsup:

299792458m/s

Newly Enlightened
I plan on posting some beam shots (hopefully) this weekend. It's been raining non-stop here since last week sometime. But, if you want a reference sheet as far as 'holy crap, that's bright', then you can take a peek at "Lux's Most Powerful Maglite Mod List" thread found here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/177171.

The predicted lumen output for your standard ROP Low is 1503 @9.6v charge, and the predicted lumen output for your standard ROP High is 2030 @8.5v charge. Comparatively, the predicted output for a Mag623 is about 8535 @16.5v charge, and it is around 10,194 @17.8v charge if you use a 64633 bulb. If you want some reading material on bulb output, then you can check this thread: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=179748.

You can also calculate run time using the above thread. I'm assuming you're using 2500mAh batteries for your ROPs, but for example, let's say you are. 2500mAh batteries can give you 2.5A/60mins. The ROPs only need 2.37A and 4.84A (respectively) to run optimally. See the correlation below. If you need twice as much current, then you cut your runtime in half. It is an inverse relationship. The Mag623s need 7x as much current to light up optimally, so their run-times are 60(mins)/7. You can also find more information on this here: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=194040.

Model...........Charge...........Lumen..............Runtime.....
ROP Low ......9.6v ..............1503 ............~50-60mins
ROP High ......8.5v ..............2030 ............~25-30mins
Mag623 .......16.5v .............8535 ............~9-10mins
Mag633 .......17.8v ............10,194 ..........~8-9mins

**I should also note, that the times I quoted for the Mag623 are times for 1500mAh battery packs. You can get slightly longer run-times if you throw a little extra money into the batteries (i.e-1700, 2000, or 2500mAh). Using 2500mAh packs on a Mag623 would boost your runtime from ~8 to ~12mins.

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think you 'll never get more that 1000 lumens with a ROP HIGH...you must count voltage drop.....

Tarlach

Newly Enlightened
I'm assuming you're using 2500mAh batteries for your ROPs, but for example, let's say you are. 2500mAh batteries can give you 2.5A/60mins. The ROPs only need 2.37A and 4.84A (respectively) to run optimally. See the correlation below. If you need twice as much current, then you cut your runtime in half. It is an inverse relationship. The Mag623s need 7x as much current to light up optimally, so their run-times are 60(mins)/7. You can also find more information on this here: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=194040.

**I should also note, that the times I quoted for the Mag623 are times for 1500mAh battery packs. You can get slightly longer run-times if you throw a little extra money into the batteries (i.e-1700, 2000, or 2500mAh). Using 2500mAh packs on a Mag623 would boost your runtime from ~8 to ~12mins.

That's my concern about these short mag mods. I run my ROP on 6D 9500mAh NiMH. Giving me 2 hours runtime (calc as above). The 8-12 minutes of a shorty is not really long enough to use for anything much in a real world situation.

It is enough time to blow a few peoples minds, but I wouldn't ever want to have to rely on one in an emergency (and it's not even a good :twak: like the 6D is)

299792458m/s

Newly Enlightened
I think you 'll never get more that 1000 lumens with a ROP HIGH...you must count voltage drop.....

I used the predicted lumens since lumens are a perceived measurement anyhow. That's why I pointed him to Lux's threads. I'm not going to step into anything more than ballpark at this point. :laughing:

Thanks for pointing it out though. I took for granted that tidbit.

Last edited:

299792458m/s

Newly Enlightened
It is enough time to blow a few peoples minds, but I wouldn't ever want to have to rely on one in an emergency (and it's not even a good :twak: like the 6D is)

I'm waiting for some parts to come in so I can complete a 4DMag623 mod. The run-time doesn't really change, but it is a good :twak:. And, since it looks exactly the same as any other 4DMag, it scares people when you turn it on. It's good for a WOW-factor or temporarily blinding small animals at moderate distances.

Rayne

Newly Enlightened
That Mag623 is one sweet mod!! I'm tempted to put one together but I think my ROP and Mag85 would get jealous. :whistle: How's the 4D version coming along?

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well the whole point of these mods is to pack maximum output into minimum size, isn't it. Practicality is not the name of the game - it's about shock and awe :)

Taboot

Enlightened
Just an FYI for 623'ers. I have used my 4D 623 (lux 13 cell pack) hot off the charger probably 15 times now and I'm still on the original bulb using AW's soft-start.

Mike

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's my concern about these short mag mods. I run my ROP on 6D 9500mAh NiMH. Giving me 2 hours runtime (calc as above). The 8-12 minutes of a shorty is not really long enough to use for anything much in a real world situation.

This is why we need some better D-Cell sized LiIon cells with high capacity, preferably in safe chemistry like LiMnO2 (Emoli). Packing AAs into a D-Cell light leaves a lot of wasted space -- and NiMH are lower energy density to begin with, not to mention good battery adapters can be quite expensive. Right now one of my most used lights is a Philips 5761 in a 2D, with Kaidomain 5Ah LiIons, and an AW 3-level switch. On high I get about 45 mins, medium nearly two hours, low about 3 hours. Heat buildup isn't as much of a problem on low levels, either, so it can actually be run for extended durations.

This is from a "bad" LiIon with fairly poor energy density, and an overbearng short circuit proteciton which prevents it from being used in anything drawing more than 6A. But even then, it's still cheaper than buying 6 Eneloops and a decent battery carrier, and provides nearly 3x the runtime.

Assuming someone doesn't come out with a good D-Cell in the near future, I may consider actually getting 4 of the Kaidomain D-Cells, stripping away the crappy protection circuits, and wiring my own pack with protection board and balancing taps to drive a 100W incan lamp like the 64138. Runtime woudl be more than double what I could get with 4xEmolis or a NiMH pack.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
That is an excellent guide. Very few people give the full documentaion so others can seen how to do it....so very great to see all your steps.

Again a real contribution to the commuinity. Thanks! :thumbsup:

jcvjcvjcvjcv

Enlightened
Sweet..:naughty:

Why shouldn't we use the stock MagLite switch? Will it melt? Or too much resistance? (I don't care about that last thing.)

Would it be possible to use the crappy $1.49 KD 3AA > D adapters with Elite 1700 AA's? Or has every electric contact to be extremely fat?

Just an idea:
Maglite 6D
7x3 Elite 1700 AA
Osram 64657 24V 250W :devil:

Last edited:

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
... Or too much resistance? (I don't care about that last thing.)
You don't care that the flashlight you just spen $200 outputs significantly less than half of what it should, and is outputting a dull yellow color? That's what you can expect with a stock mag switch, even the philips 5761 is severely affected by the switch resistance, I nearly doubled output on mine by switching to an AW hotdriver switch, and this was with other resistance mods (bipin socket, copper wires to bypass tailspring etc) already implemented. The build you are suggesting is even higher current, therefore even more sensitive to resistance.

Not to mention that on a cold start, you will be able to hear audible arcing everytime you activate this switch. Essentiall, you're cerating a big fat arc that will gradually destroy your switch each time you use it.

Would it be possible to use the crappy $1.49 KD 3AA > D adapters with Elite 1700 AA's? Or has every electric contact to be extremely fat?
Short answer: no.

Just an idea:
Maglite 6D
7x3 Elite 1700 AA
Osram 64657 24V 250W :devil:
Those Kai reflectors have been known to melt running builds that draw less than 5 amps. The build you suggested is over 10 amps. Power dissipation in a resistor is proportional to the square of the current, so you'll be dissipating more than 4x as much power as necessary to melt them.

This by the way is why power companies run high voltage -- high current is a huge PITA to mess with as it requires heavy gauge wire and fat contacts in every part of your system.

Latest posts