1st post here.. wanna get a Pila GL4.. hear your opinions

Tessaiga

Enlightened
A Little Red Dot 1 degree North of the Equator
Hi guys.. as the title says.. 1st post here.... thinking of getting a Pila GL4, seems to be a brighter and more affordable alternative to SF... what do you guys think??

is this a good light.. will it hold up to use??

any other alternative in that price range that pumps out 300 lumens??

diesel_dad

Newly Enlightened
Welcome. Might want to search this forum -- same question was answered recently.

I really like my GL4. I use with with a Lumens Factory EO-9L bulb and 2 X 18650 rechargeable batteries. I get 40 minutes or so of 450 lumens -- bright, white output with an excellent beam pattern. Next to my Mag85, this is my favourite light.

I used the light during the winter on a dark night in the country. At 100 meters it was more than bright enough to find scouts trying to hide in the snow :)

I also like the LED tailcap for times when 450 lumens is a little much.

luigi

Enlightened
I have a GL3
Pila's are awesome, very very tough and very bright.
And Pila is soon going to lunch a CREE drop in for their lights and a
module called CODEX that adds signaling, strobe, fades and many other nice features.

IMHO you have a good eye

Luigi

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
A D36-size Cree? Now that's getting interesting.

Or could it be even wider? I think the newer GL4 uses a 48mm head, vs. 45mm for the old model.

Troop#26

Newly Enlightened
TessaigaJust a quick reply to your questions. I just purchased my GL4 and received it a couple of days ago. I am using it with 2 Pila 600P's and a Lumens Factory 380 Lumen bulb. It is my first "real flashlight", and replaced a 3D Mag Light I was using before. It is simply an awsome light. The build quality is amazing. It is a tank. I will be posting a breif review of the light shortly if you can hang on a while. The only thing I might caution you on slightly is that this is a larger light than you might first think. It was described to me as "kinda a club"... and while it is significantly smaller than the light it was ment to replace I understand the mind set as when using it with its tactical switch quite a bit of the light sticks out the front. I got mine with a Red Led switch out the back which has come in quite handy.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me!!

Stephen

"EDIT: Diesel_Dad please find a PM commin' your way!! Thanks"

Last edited:

Dorky1

Newly Enlightened
I own a Pila GL3 and find it's just the right size to fit inside my work vest pockets. I also have an older Pila G4 (same as the Wolf-Eyes M90X). I find the 3 cell lights work the best for me for carry and use when I inspect vehicles at work. The Pila's I think just look dead sexy, while WE's and SF's are more form follows function. I find Pila's looks, ability to use 18XXX rechargeable batteries and price are hard to beat. I'm converting some of my SF's to use Leef bodies that can take 18650 batteries. For the price of 1 Leef body you can purchase a complete new GL3!!! SF's are lighter, have the ability to change bezels, tailcaps, body extensions, have 3rd party parts compatibility, and tend to hold their value better on resale. I would love to have a GL3 that could take the GL4 D36 sized bulbs. I think the WE Raider can do that, but it just doesn't look as sleek as a Pila. When in doubt......buy both !!!

Dave Huck

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF! What do you want to use the light for? I have a GL4 which I always have in my bag on fishing trips, but my EDC lights are an ORB Raw in my pocket and a Surefire P6 on my belt (where appropriate).

The GL4 is an outstanding light when you need LOTS of lumens, particularly considering the low cost and high build quality. I only use primaries in mine as it's an emergency light.

HTH

Dave

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dorky1 said:
I would love to have a GL3 that could take the GL4 D36 sized bulbs. I think the WE Raider can do that, but it just doesn't look as sleek as a Pila.
I don't know whether the Raider with a 42mm Wolf Eyes bezel can accept that D36. As many of us know, it is too shallow and too narrow to accept a D36 from Lumens Factory. There is a Wolf Eyes 2x150A (3x123A) body that can: The Cobra, which uses the same 45mm finned head as the 4x123A Rattlenake. PTS does not sell the Cobra, but you can find it elsewhere. The original Pila bodies included a Cobra twin.

Tessaiga

Enlightened
A Little Red Dot 1 degree North of the Equator
I want the Pila for a bring on tour kind of flashlight to light up areas like around the cabin/lodge/hut that we are staying in or inside the place when we first step into it.. so it needs to be bright... an hour run time should be plenty for my purpose..

those of you that have it... does it really give an hour and at 300 lumens???