1xAA for 7 year old kid

Kingnog

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a 1xAA light for a 7 year old kid as a birthday gift. The 3 requirements are:

1: 1xAA
2: Must have strobe mode
3: Lanyard attachment so it doesn't get lost

Obviously since it's for a kid, the cheaper the better. I was looking at the Klarus ST10 but apparently it's discontinued, and my next choice was a ITP SA1.

jimmbo

Newly Enlightened
I just bought an Olight TC15 SS from shining beam that is my new favorite light. Beautiful light, and it has a high quality weighty feel to it. Came with the lanyard and a diffuser packed in a nice case. Low, medium, high, and strobe.

Sent from Droid X2 running CM7 Beta

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
MUST have strobe? Dang. The $13 Auto Zone Duramax 1-watt critter would be a great choice otherwise. Its clip can't be reversed, but is perfect for clipping to a sturdy hat. No strobe, just on/off.

Mag-man

Newly Enlightened
Lucky 7 year old. Try a TerraLux LightStar100. If it was my kid, I'd just give him/her a Solitaire Mag and call it a day. The kid will probably just lose it anyway :duh2:

Kingnog

Newly Enlightened
MUST have strobe? Dang. The $13 Auto Zone Duramax 1-watt critter would be a great choice otherwise. Its clip can't be reversed, but is perfect for clipping to a sturdy hat. No strobe, just on/off.

Yeah, strobe (AKA 'dance party' mode) is his favorite feature of my Thrunite 2A :shrug:

Lucky 7 year old. Try a TerraLux LightStar100. If it was my kid, I'd just give him/her a Solitaire Mag and call it a day. The kid will probably just lose it anyway
duh2.gif

Yeah...maybe if he "loses" it I'll get to use it
wink.gif

The TerraLux looks promising.

Last edited:

Kingnog

Newly Enlightened
I just bought an Olight TC15 SS from shining beam that is my new favorite light. Beautiful light, and it has a high quality weighty feel to it. Came with the lanyard and a diffuser packed in a nice case. Low, medium, high, and strobe.

That actually looks like a pretty nice light. I saw it on a few other sites as a set bundled with something else and it was pretty expensive. Shiningbeam's price is pretty good.

Last edited:

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gave both my kids Quark AA2's. My son (9) still has his but my daughter (12) traded hers back to me for a Xeno E03.

jimmbo

Newly Enlightened
That actually looks like a pretty nice light. I saw it on a few other sites as a set bundled with something else and it was pretty expensive. Shiningbeam's price is pretty good.

Excellent light. I can't comment on the longevity because I just received it last week, but I think a 7 year old would love this light. Correction to my post before; there is no low. There is a med, high, and strobe. It's also a really floody light.

Sent from Droid X2 running CM7 Beta

AmperSand

Enlightened
I gave my 10 year old a Sunwayman V10A, only because he was so impressed with my V10R Ti. More a post just to share as I know you are looking for a strobe mode which the V10A does not have.

Fastandbulbus

Newly Enlightened
I'd be reluctant to give a young child anything worth more than 10 bucks (lose, drop, etc.), but... the 4Sevens Quark Mini meets your requirements. (Admittedly with hidden strobe, so that might be a good thing or a bad thing.)

moeman

Enlightened
I know I am late to the party, but I cannot believe no one mentioned the LRI Photon Proton Pro. Another great AA light and you can get them for less than $40.00. Has ramping, a red LED, and the signaling modes too...

wut85

Newly Enlightened
The streamlight pro tac comes in 1aa and is a clicky with three modes (high, strobe, low). You can get it under $40 online and streamlight has a good warranty.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
If you'll consider a non AA light the PALight "Survival" model is robust (rubber casing in sevaral different colurs), has strobe (and Lo and Medium and "Locator Glow"), and can run on used smoke alarm 9V batteries for "free" lighting.

ericjohn

Enlightened
I know of a light (unfortunately it's chinese made). It doesn't have strobe, but at least it is cheap. Takes 1 AA, and has a bright LED. Nebo makes it and they sell them at Batteries Plus. They cost around $10. The only bad thing about them child wise is they have a strike bezel similar to the Sure Fire Defender. Maybe not a good idea for a 7 year old boy, but I will let you decide that.