1xCR123A/RCR Round-up Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, & more!

revmarktx

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone compared the Romisen RC-N3 Q5 (On a RCR123) from shining beam to these lights? I would like to know how this light compares to the the P2D and some of the other lights.

Selfbuilt, thanks for the Great reviews!

Reverend Mark

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Added some comments and discussion of the Jet-II PRO to first post. :)

I have to say though that the one surprise for me was reading about the Horus... I didn't know what to make of this light when I first started reading about it and thought that they were quite nervy to make a Titanium light as their first offering (that I could tell) but the comment you made about beam pattern and the fact that it's right there in the pack with its performance was a pleasant surprise.
The Horus light is definitely well made, but lack of primary CR123A support really limits its general appeal for many. I'm looking forward to the release of their continuously-variable circuit - and will update this review when they send me one.

Excellent review! I'd also be interested in seeing a few of the cheap dx lights in just for kicks, and a little perspective, thanks.
A good point - but I haven't been buying the cheap DX lights lately. With such high quality offerings as these, it's hard to justify spending the time or money. But I have generally been impressed with the build quality of the various Romissen lights (for the price - still doesn't compare to most of these).

FYI, I have tested the 11074 drop-in for P60 lights (18650-only), and it's output, throw and ramp sequence is virtually identical to the my Jet-II/III IBS lights. So far, runtimes appear to be not quite as high, but close. I'm planning to update my Jet-II/III review thread with some comparison details soon.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't believe there's only one "winner" here. ;) But not to worry, the EX10 will be added to this review, just as the D10 and LF5XT will be added to my 1AA round-up review. Just waiting on the vagaries of the postal system - likely won't be for a few more weeks, I'm afraid

But a point to keep in mind about the EX10 - based on the specs, max output is kept to 130 lumens, which is comparable to the E1B,120P, Incendio, but less than the P2D, Extreme, and Jet-II.

Oh, and my new Jet-II PRO review is up. I'll update this thread in a few days.:whistle:

Thanks for the update - I'll be waiting :D

There's never a real winner :crazy:, but at some point I've got to pick one, and the EX10 looks to good to overlook.

130 lumens coming from nitecore makes it comparable to the NDI. I'd prefer more, and wish nitecore had put some more in seeing as getting more out of a 14500 shouldn't be a problem, but I think I can manage. Besides, it's for 80 minutes :thumbsup:

The JET-II PRO was kind of disappointing to me. Except for clip and regulation in low modes, everything was worse. Is there any chance of you reviewing the smooth version? Despite the drawbacks, I'm always eager to learn about a new pocket rocket king :D

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
130 lumens coming from nitecore makes it comparable to the NDI. I'd prefer more, and wish nitecore had put some more in seeing as getting more out of a 14500 shouldn't be a problem, but I think I can manage.
I think the problem is not getting it out of the battery - it's getting rid of the heat generated. In small form-factor lights without a lot of heatsinking (like the EX10 and D10, but also the Incendio, etc.), heat is probably your biggest concern with running too high. This is why the Extreme is so overbuilt looking in comparison (i.e. fins near the emitter, bigger heatsink, etc.).

The JET-II PRO was kind of disappointing to me. Except for clip and regulation in low modes, everything was worse. Is there any chance of you reviewing the smooth version? Despite the drawbacks, I'm always eager to learn about a new pocket rocket king :D
I don't have the smooth reflector, but from comments around here I gather it doesn't added much throw. And as for the output/runtime difference between my two samples, that's likely just luck of the draw for emitter-circuit interactions. It's still the best thrower you will find in this size (although again, I think its over-driven at 100%).

jag-engr

Enlightened
In my opinion, the Fenix P2D is the clear winner.

Size: The P2D is almost the smallest light - an important consideration for EDC. Only the IncenDio is smaller, but it doesn't perform nearly as well.

Cost: I believe that the P2D is among the cheapest, if not the cheapest light, in the lineup. (I could be mistaken on this point)

The only negatives, IMO, are the lack of a low low and that it doesn't do well with rechargeable cells.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the excellent review! 1xCR123 is probably my favorite form factor, so I especially liked reading your review. I still absolutely love my E1B (been EDCing it for a few months now) but have my eye on that Nitecore Extreme.

Just for fun, could you post a pic of the NE head on the E1B body?

Thanks again for the review.

Robert

digitaldave

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the excellent review! 1xCR123 is probably my favorite form factor, so I especially liked reading your review. I still absolutely love my E1B (been EDCing it for a few months now) but have my eye on that Nitecore Extreme.

Thanks again for the review.

Robert

It's not quite an E1B, but there are some shots on a couple of different Surefire bodies here. I think the shorter one is an E1L, so very similar to the E1B.

Dave.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Selfbuilt, you wouldn't happen to have an LM33 you could toss into the mix, here, would you? Just about to order one, since I liked my LM31 so much, so I was kind of curious.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
FYI, I'll update this thread in a couple of days with my NiteCore EX10 results. :)

I'll try to remember to, next time I'm taking some light pics.

Selfbuilt, you wouldn't happen to have an LM33 you could toss into the mix, here, would you? Just about to order one, since I liked my LM31 so much, so I was kind of curious.
Sorry, don't have one. I would imagine its performance relative to the lights here would be comparable to the LM31 compared to others in my 1AA round-up (see my sig for the link). Basically, max output would be lower than most the newer CR123A/RCR lights (due to the older SSC emitter), and low mode would be less efficient. But the LM3x series are really meant to be easy-to-use budget lights, and they serve that function well.

Grateful Ned

Newly Enlightened
selfbuilt do you happen to have a P1D Q5 that you could add to the above comparison? Most interested in the diff btw that and the EX10. I realize the mechanisms are different but brightness, beam and runtime data would be interesting for these two mini-powerhouses.

Keep up the great work ! :thanks:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
selfbuilt do you happen to have a P1D Q5 that you could add to the above comparison? Most interested in the diff btw that and the EX10.
I had the original P1D-CE once, from first batch sold here (the first mass-produced Cree light - caused quite a sensation). I've long since given it away, but my runtime tests on Hi and Med were basically the same as the P2D with the original P4 Cree head. So I would think you could use my P2D-Q5 runtimes here as a good comparable for the performance of the P1D-Q5.

Haven't had time yet to update these round-up threads with the new lights, but the EX10 results will be coming soon. In the meantime, here's the EX review link.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Just updated the main post with photos, beamshots, runtimes, and brief discussions on some of newer additions:

Spartanian II, NiteCore EX10 (Cree Q5 and GDP versions), ITP C9

Whew, this round-up is getting pretty big ... and always more to come! ;)

DM51

Flashaholic
It is excellent to see these new additions.

This is an extremely useful thread for those trying to decide which light to choose from among the best of the currently available single-cell lights.

I have added it to the "threads of interest" sticky in this section.

paintballdad

Enlightened
Howdy folks, stumbled on Fenix lights and CPF from the sigforum. My experience with LED flashlights have been with Inova Microlights and X0. I thought these were bright compared to my Maglites. After reading some post @ sigforum about Fenix lights I bought a Fenix E01 about 6 wks ago to test the Fenix waters. Well to say the least I was impressed. So 10 days ago, I picked up a P2D-CEQ5. WOW! Now i'm really hooked. And after reading Selfbuilt's CR123 roundup, I think i'll be starting my own multi mode 1xCR123 flashlight collection. So far the list looks like this:

Lumapower Incendio
Nitecore EX10
Olight T10

Any other lights that would fit this size/form factor for under $70? Any input would be appreciated.
And thanks to Selfbuilt for showing me the light.:twothumbs

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
And after reading Selfbuilt's CR123 roundup, I think i'll be starting my own multi mode 1xCR123 flashlight collection. So far the list looks like this:
Lumapower Incendio
Nitecore EX10
Olight T10
A good start. :) FYI, MattK at batteryjunction has sent me Olight T10 to review, and it's next in line for my lightbox after the current light I'm testing (Olight M20 Warrior). I'm curious to how this new 2008 model T10 compares.

Another choice to consider in the ~$50 range is the ITP C9, which is continuously-variable and uses the exact same SMO/OP mixed reflector as the Olight T10. And I haven't added it to this round-up yet, but the 2-stage EagleTac P10C has just been reviewed (also ~$50)

If you are willing to go a little higher (but still under the $70 cap with discount), I'm quite partial to the Jet-II myself. Best throw in this form factor. Also one of the brightest overall lights in this class (along with the NiteCore Extreme and EagleTac P10C).

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any other lights that would fit this size/form factor for under $70? Any input would be appreciated.
And thanks to Selfbuilt for showing me the light.:twothumbs

The LumaPower D-Mini Digital is definitely worth looking at. While slightly larger than some of the other 1 x CR123A lights it uses a larger, deeper reflector that offers exceptional throw and more than adequate spill.