2 D Cell Maglite Mod Idea...

Doug

Enlightened
Ok, here is the Idea, take a Maglite 2 D cell flashlight, put in 2 3v lithium D's, remove the reflector, put in a pc board with AS MANY of the brightest, NARROW beam LEDs are you can fit in there. The extra space between the batteries, and the board could be used for any electronic voltage/current change you need to do... or, HECK, just do it ala Expedtion, with a spacer to take up to gap. Maybe, make the light with some narrow (in the middle) and some wide (on the perimeter) angle LEDs... Hmm? How many LEDs do you guys (gals? ...Echoooo...) think will fit in there? How much do you think all theses LEDs would cost? How bright do you think this light would acttually end up being? I just want to get the BRIGHTEST freakin' light I can, using LEDs. It's tempting to get, something like a SureFire M6 ... but 20 minutes of battery life?! Yikes.... The Expedtion I have (Trek-7) is reasonably bright ... BUT I WANT MORE
smile.gif
!! MUHAHA! Ahem...

Dou

Brock

Flashaholic
Me too, Ed built a nice one in a 3 D cell Mag light, check it out at

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000066.html

I really want to build the same thing in a 3 C cell Mag but still haven't go around to doing it.

I think a 3 cell light is the way to go rather than 2 3v D's, no resistors to mess with. Maybe you can convince Ed to start building them and selling them to us, I know I would buy an origional Edwood sun blaster
wink.gif

Brock

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Saft 3v D cell sold by REI is around $17. I have seen it as low as $12 in quantity. You might want to take that into consideration.

------------------
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man"
-Nordic proverb