2 things, safest way to fully discharge a li-ion, and safe to recharge another?

GrimCreaper

Newly Enlightened
One of my flashlights had been giving me a bit of an issue, the light would constantly flicker which wasnt normal and didnt used to. I assumed a wire was slightly lose or something in the led pill or possibly needed to tighten the tailcap innards.

Well, i was going through my batteries to see which ones needed charging and found that the 2 Li-Ions in that light were at different voltages.

1 was sitting at 3.13 volts. This is one i want to know if its still safe to recharge.
I am planning on replacing this one with another solarforce protected cell, or possibly an AW if im feeling a bit spendy.

The other was sitting at 1.05 volts. I want to fully discharge this one if possible for recycling. Any ways to do this? I have some old 5mm leds sitting around and was considering hooking one up to the battery but wanted to check and ask here first.

Unfortunately, both of these are unprotected cells. they were the first 2 i bought ages ago when i got my first high powered flashlight (i still love my gunmetal colored solarforce L2 :D) I rarely used these particular cells as i know unprotected are a lot more fickle (and potentially dangerous) than protected cells. Both were fine after my last recharge on them about 2 months ago.

Last edited:

TranceAddict

Newly Enlightened
load it with a 1.5v incandescent bulb until fully depleted and send for recycling. actually 1v is quiet safe, energy stored is almost empty at that voltage, just drop them into recycle bin will do actually.

Last edited:

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recycle LiCo cells that are 3 Volts OC, or less. There is so little stored energy left in the cell at this voltage, that they really present little danger.

Dave

Latest posts