"2009" CandlePower Knife ??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Many CPFers have accounts on BladeForums as well. A folder could still be possible. However, George would need to get solid commitments (and C.C. numbers) up front. Also, forget about a run of 40. Perhaps a run of about 10 would be more realistic.

Few CPFers would end up with an '09 CPF knife. But such a knife would still be out there, and 2009 could still be counted as a success for George on CPF.

With the neck knife idea, more would be made. Giving more CPFers a chance to enjoy George's work. And once again, there would be a run of '09 CPF knives.

Both are viable. I hope George posts soon as to any decisions having been reached on his end.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Did you guys see the EDC forums knife project??? They kept the price realistic , and the little thing looks awesome in orange G10. Maybe this is the route the CPF 2009 should take, does not have to be this design but gives you an idea...

http://edcforums.com/index.php?topic=25541.0

What do you mean by "realistic?" :thinking:

A folding knife from a skilled BladeSmith will typically run about $400 at the low end of the price scale.

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do you mean by "realistic?" :thinking:

A folding knife from a skilled BladeSmith will typically run about $400 at the low end of the price scale.
I know , but given we are nowhere near the 40 interest list Tichbourne needs to make this happen, maybe we should get REAL and try for something less exotic...If this is going to be a CPF branded item we should go for quantity for everyone to enjoy not a uber exotic knife with the CPF logo that just a handfull of people are going to own. This should be left for a knife specific forum not a flashlight forum.

Last edited:

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Normally, I would agree. But once again, CPF has a ton of members who also have accounts on BladeForums.
Indeed , most of us have , me included. What I mean is that we are proposing a very high caliber knife to the wrong crowd, yes most of us are knife enthusiast too willing to shell out the cash , but some are not... $500 for a CPF branded Mcgizmo, sure :paypal:?? $500 for a CPF branded knife?? :thinking: . See what I mean ? Wrong crowd...

george tichbourne

KNIFEMAKER
Gentlemen,
George and I have left this thread alone for a while to see which direction it would take.

Robocop I feel is fairly accurate in his post, as is Monocrom, Cusco custom knives of high quality take time and cost money. Our prices are REALISTIC and we have been clear right from the start that a 2009 project would reflect realistic costs unlike last year where the price was indeed lower than it should have been.

Any of you who have followed the thread should have noted by now that I have offered a high end folder or fixed blade and a lesser expensive neck knife (no less in quality). I felt that by offering two seperate styles for 2009 it would cover off many members choices. However, there just has not been the interest there was last year.

As was stated by one of the members we are not about to put our name on something of poor quality just to run a massive order, we have worked long and hard to build a solid reputation of quality and good workmanship, something we are not about to risk just to get a possible order.

One thought of mine that I have shared privately with a few members is that it is conceivable to me that seeing as last year was the first CPF knife and there were pictures and narratives along the way and the knife something new to everyone as were we that it was an interesting and fun project for all involved. OK, those involved have been there, done that and now it's not really all that interesting because they now have a pretty good idea how knives, well fixed blades without guards/bolsters are made that it's not really of that much interest. Everyone is ready for something "new".

Of course I could be mistaken but that is the impression that I get.

Some of you have come directly to us and had knives made to your specifications and I believe have been very happy with the end result.

Personally I don't know what else we can do here, we have offered what I feel is something for everyone, we could even open it further and offer a neck knife with helpful suggestions from Robocop, a nice little fixed blade for others who still prefer that style and a folder that yes will run around $500. Quite frankly I would be more than willing to ride herd on three projects simultaneously if you folks are interested. There would be something for everyones price range, and purpose. You cannot say that we have not tried to offer a variety of style and price. Each of good quality, and each to suit the customers preferred choice.

To this end, unless we get a resounding YES from a number of members this is the last you will hear of a 2009 project from us. I'm sorry I am not going to plead with you for an order, you know what we can offer, you have worked with us before you know we follow through and you do in fact get what you order so I don't know what else to tell you.

Nothing was ever written in stone that George was or is "The" CPF official knifemaker. If you can find something somewhere that suits your needs and everyone is happy with it ~ go for it. George and I had a blast last year. We became acquainted with a number of great people and enjoyed our time with all of you immensely.

Any of you who have something you want made or would like to purchase you know where to find us. Our door is always open and we'd enjoy working with you again.

Take care and God Bless, Carol & George Tichbourne :wave:

george tichbourne

KNIFEMAKER
Cusco, one last thing before I go ~ there was a large post of yours that I had missed ~ appreciate your comment about George's quality, "Thankyou"

I would like to point out to you that last years knife was designed by a fellow forum member, the choice of handle material was a group choice that it had to match the colour of the CPF logo.

As to George's folders - many sell in the $1200-$1500 range and are classed as Men's Jewellery. Tacticals and heavy duty are now part of his line up with the G10 scales, you haven't seen them because they are coming on stream now and are for serious heavy duty situations.

Carol Tichbourne

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carol,

Yes, your prices are in-line with the cost , craftsmanship and quality of skilled bladework, there's no question about it and you have been mopre than clear. What I meant with saying "realistic" is that a blade in that price range and the quantities that you require to make it happen are not in-line with the interest shown so far. No one is suggesting you to put your name on a low-budget/quality knife, my suggestion above was to contribute to the pool of ideas, and try to make this a reality. Again NO question about value, quality and craftsmanship, I know how much a quality folder can go up for.

Last years process was indeed a fun thing to read, and a learning experience, we thank you for letting us inside the shop with all the pictures and narrations. It was more than awesome, and a joy, THANK YOU.

BTW: Who's Cusco?? :D

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carol,

If this goes forward or not, I want to add my voice that I agree that your prices are well withing reason for custom knives, and last year was a complete steal. I love my 08 knife, and it has gotten some nice use (as I believe blades should). Look forward to seeing some of George's heavy use folder, as I am in the market for one.

SL1

george tichbourne

KNIFEMAKER
Look forward to seeing some of George's heavy use folder, as I am in the market for one.

SL1

Smokelaw it shouldn't be too long I hope :ohgeez:it was supposed to be last fall but there have been several obstacles. A new piece of equipment just arrived from Montreal today that George has been waiting for so we are hopeful that very soon I will have something to photograph and get in the market.

As soon as it's ready I'll let you know :)

Cheers, Carol

aj1985

Newly Enlightened
OK ,I have been watching this from the sidelines and want to comment on what I think is the loss of interest in the 2009 CPF blade by Mr. Tichbourne. First of all I am no blade expert, but I just don't see myself spending that amount of money on one of the blade styles offered by Mr. Tichbourne. Not questioning his quality work and craftsmanship, its just that his traditional blade styles are not my cup of tea. Im sure there's a lot of traditional (antique??) blade style fans in here that love George's work, and will pay the sum for a folder, but I bet most of the crowd here is waiting for something "tactical" looking and wrapped in orange G10 ( or blue), than the fine mother of pearl and stag bone George is used to work with..or am I wrong?? Sorry to say we will have to look elsewhere. Mr. Tichbourne himself has stated that he is fairly new to the folder scene and his traditional way of making knifes translates into his current offerings. I'm sure he will be more than pleased to accommodate the crowd to whatever we choose, but unless a prototype is made that sparks the interest of the silent lookers, the 2009 CPF blade by Mr. Tichbourne will remain vapor until then. I dropped out of the 2008 blade list when I saw the final design and materials, and I will dare to say most of the guys in the list bought it for the collectible factor, the CPF stamp and the numbering.

Did you guys see the EDC forums knife project??? They kept the price realistic , and the little thing looks awesome in orange G10. Maybe this is the route the CPF 2009 should take, does not have to be this design but gives you an idea...

http://edcforums.com/index.php?topic=25541.0

I know , but given we are nowhere near the 40 interest list Tichbourne needs to make this happen, maybe we should get REAL and try for something less exotic...If this is going to be a CPF branded item we should go for quantity for everyone to enjoy not a uber exotic knife with the CPF logo that just a handfull of people are going to own. This should be left for a knife specific forum not a flashlight forum.

Indeed , most of us have , me included. What I mean is that we are proposing a very high caliber knife to the wrong crowd, yes most of us are knife enthusiast too willing to shell out the cash , but some are not... $500 for a CPF branded Mcgizmo, sure :paypal:?? $500 for a CPF branded knife?? :thinking: . See what I mean ? Wrong crowd...

Hey bro hope all is well

Many of the comments you made are exactly the kind of comments I receive when I carry a custom folder or when someone happens to find out it's price. I have a few knives about $600-$800 and.

Truth be told I happen to know George and consider him a good friend. (Now let's begin) :D

Many comments you made are generalizations, and your speaking for a community as a whole. While I agree this is a flashlight forum we are all pretty much the same individuals. (People that have a passion for something)

I lump all the below collectors, users, accumulators together, because they usually try to find higher end pieces of other tools while collecting their own specific one.

Knives (custom & production)
Guns
Jewelery ( Starlingear, Bill Wall, Steel flame, Drapers)
Flashlights
Gear ( Tad )

I'm not a flashlight junkie so you will have to excuse me. I'm more of a knife whore. :D

To me a flashlight is just a flashlight. Something you buy which will give you light when you need it; no more no less. After discovering knives I started looking at all the above mentioned tools closely, and found that there are some awesome tools to be had within the industry.

I would love to spend $1000 and buy a Spy 007, because I know it's a wicked light due to the overwhelming response by the knife community as well as the flashlight community. (One day I will too eh) We are all inherently collectors of high end tools which are not just limited to one specific type of tool.

I have a passion to collect high end knives, and because of that passion I understand your passion in collecting Highend lights. You some how do not share the same opinion when you stated that this is a light forum and why are we doing a knife.

I like to think about knives in a different nature. Look at all the below things which make a good knife, and what George offers.

Steel
Handle Material ( choices )
Heat Treating
Amazing Grinds
Fit & finish
Lifetime warranty
Free lifetime Sharpening Services

Most importantly I buy the maker and then the product. Life is to short to give money to someone you don't respect or care for, no matter how good the product. Many knife nuts will tell you that a knife community is very small and almost everyone knows each other. Everyone helps each other with designs to materials to just overall support, because everyone wants the other to succeed. A custom knife is a different animal. A maker has countless hours of blood, sweat and tears into his craft. I wholeheartedly believe that each custom handmade knife has a bit of the makers soul in it, and each is unique.

I agree within this recession most people can not afford a high end folder, and would prefer a fixed blade. I do agree with the knife being affordable enough so many people can grab a piece of CPF.

Possibly a skeleton fixed blade. Could always be used in the field to something in the kitchen.

Discuss the price
Discuss the length
Discuss the shape of the blade and the Grinds
Discuss the sheath systems
Discuss Coatings and such

Ultimately last year the knife offered was a true steal. Cut's like a laser, and for the price you could not go wrong.

take care bro and lets get together and make it happen eh.
aj

p.s I do remember an old design of George that might be perfect for this. I will talk to him and see if he can bring it out from the past. :D

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the project has "died" for this year. Perhaps we can get enough interest (and consensus on what we want/ can afford) for 2010.
:p

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Did this project die?

Unfortunately, it's dead.

Damn shame, I'd love a re-issue of the last CPF knife.

The last one was a limited edition project. George actually undercharged those of us who jumped in. A re-issue was never in the cards. It got as far as possibly two different knives for 2009. A folder, and a fixed blade neck knife. Both were to be similar overall designs, with the neck knife being less expensive. But that's as far as it got.

If you want one of the 2008 models, there's a list of those who bought them, over at the Official 2008 CPF knife thread. A couple of them have shown up at the MarketPlace. #27 was put up for sale. As for me, I'm never parting with my #8.

george tichbourne

KNIFEMAKER
We're back !!!! :)

A little update on the past several months. In June of this year George was nearly killed in a serious shop accident. (some of you may know this already but for those who haven't heard I'll make it the abridged version)
Something he was polishing flew off the grinder at 40mph hit him in the chest, started an internal bleed we were unaware of until the following morning at which point he had bled out approx 50%. The first 4 days in the hospital they kept telling me he wouldn't survive. Day 5 things started to turn and day 7 after the announcement that they had given him a hospital infection I signed him out and nursed him back to health at home.

Our business was closed for 4 months. All the blood that filled his chest cavity and anywhere else it could go now has to be re-absorbed back into his system. A long uncomfortable process. He is 3/4 the way there, by Christmas should be all gone. And for the most part he is now fairly comfortable.

We are now back to work, no surgery, grateful to be alive and together working harder then ever.

During the time we were off we initiated some changes into our manufacturing process and now are able to do as much work in 3 hours as we used to in a full day. Three main changes, Bella no longer has full run of the shop - we used to spend at least 25% of our time chasing her down and retrieving whatever was in her mouth. I now work out in the shop full time doing all the grunt work if you will while George does the skilled technical stuff ;) AND lastly, every night I make up a "To Do" list that is followed to the letter. It takes alot of time but saves serious time during the day. Simplistic but extremely beneficial.

So we are back, we're working, we've missed you folks, would LOVE to do another group order but that's if the interest is there. I'll have to read back and see if there is any interest. The last time I was on here I left it I believe that if you could get enough people together and were willing to pay market value we could start another project. There was even the option of two different knives running at the same time.

Look forward to hearing what you folks think about another CPKnife.
We have a Vintage Style knife "Old Scout" that is running a special offer, it may be of interest to some of you for a project.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Holy smoke I had no idea George had such a close call and good luck with his recovery. I have to say you sound like a very classy person bearing the brunt of the workload just to keep your passion for knives alive.....very hard work and something more people these days should strive to be like. I am sure George appreciates such a dedicated partner.

Maybe we can all find a way to make the best of this situation however it sounds as if you are off to a good start. Very nice to hear that George is recovering and that is what is most important here....of course a cool custom knife just for us goons here is always a close 2nd...:D

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, I had no idea that happened to George, I just assumed posts stopped because of disinterest.
Very sorry to hear of his injury, and I'm glad he's recovering.

as for this project, I'd be interested in a folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.