DEFT Aspheric Shootout - Part 2 Now Up !

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
DEFT Shootout Part 1 - The Clear Lens

In some ways, this DEFT shootout is a followup to my previous Aspheric Mag Shootout here.

Let me start this review with the money shots, then I'll add some other details in 2nd post.

I used this field, but mainly the 865' backround trees, and dirt infield.

I used these lights, with their abbreviations on each photo:

lights.jpg

In all outside shots from left to right are in the following order (but not all lights used in every shot. Yes, 2 lights in above image are out of order used outside):

• XeRay - 75W HID "BarnBurner"
  • KD - KD drop-in Q5 with KD Aspheric Lens. Buck Boost w/ 4xAA
  • Mac - Cree Xre P4 with DX Aspheric Lens. Direct Drive w/ AW 18650-P
  • Led - Ledean Cree Xre P4 with Melles Griot 01LAG123. w/ AW C Li-Ion
  • Deft-R - DEFT with R2, clear lens, w/ 4xAA
  • Deft-Q5 - DEFT with Q5-WC, clear lens, w/ 4xAA
  • Ellie - Elephant HID (FiveMega) WA Solarc HID w/ 3 x 18650
  • MaxaB - Gen 3 MaxaBeam High & Low beams used
Canon Powershot S45 used in Daylight White Balance with exposure times between 1.5 to 10 seconds and F-Stop between 5.0 & 8.0. I further adjusted brightness in Paintshop for better viewing, since this shootout is intended to be simultaneous comparison with other lights.

As always, beamshot images do not capture actual appearances, but this shootout was designed to give relative comparisons. For example, the cooler/blue colors do not look that blue or strikingly brighter. Note the detail of the tree leaves on blowup of various lights to see amount of actual illumination projected. It appears to me in images, and in person that the R2 is not as bright as the Q5-WC, but the R2 has a slightly warmer color which contributes to this result.

I did not take any shots with diffusion lens, as I thought I would see what feedback/questions these shots raise. I may be able to try other shots on another night. It was about 30 F last night, and at some point, my fingers said "ENOUGH!" Also, if some of you are astutely looking at my image file naming, the missing numbers were too underexposed to use or duplicates. Most of these were shot with 10sec, F-8, ISO 100, AWB-Daylight....but that was wayyyy too little exposure, despite camera LED displaying captured image as looking good. Hence, I had to use Paintshop brighten tool so you can see relative comparisons within an image.

Lights shining at baseball infield dirt to show colors, focus, sizes of patterns:

All lights focused on far tree line. Note that KD/Mac/Led Aspherics barely visible on trees. These show the best comparison of DEFT vs. old Aspherics:

DEFTs Alone & vs. MaxaBeam
(far right image is MB High Mode)

BarnBurner Rains on DEFT Parade:

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Re: DEFT Aspheric Shootout

DEFT Shootout Part 2 - The Diffuser Lens

This post now reviews the DEFT components, overall features, & new comparisons when diffuser lens is used. The diffuser lens puts the DEFT in a more conventional flashlight category.

Again, let me put the money shots up front, and DEFT features will be at the end of this post. I used the same setting and camera location for all shots. No adjustments have been made to these photos from one light to the next.

Camera Info: Canon Powershot S45 Manual Mode, AWB-Daylight, ISO-100, Exposure-5 sec, Aperture-F6.3, Resolution-2272x1704 (no optical zoom).

Light images are in this order below. All DEFT's are with diffuser lens. All Mag Mods are with tightest hotspot focus & minimal artifacts. Lights directed at trunk branches just below evergreen needles. Main evergreen is 18 yards (16 meters), and back fence is 24 yards (22 meters) away. All images are clickable thumbnails.

1. DEFT-R2
  2. DEFT-Q5-WC
  3. DEFT-MC-E
  4. DEFT-Q2-5A
  5. DEFT-Rotating Gif of all 4 above pills
  6. Mag85-FM's 2" Deep Reflector in 3D Mag, direct drive with 3s3p 17500 Li-Ion
  7. Mag66-MOP Reflector in 1D Mag. AWR Hotdriver regulated @ 12.58V with 4s 14670 Li-Ion
  8. Mag1331-FM's 2" Deep Reflector in 1.5D Mag, direct drive with 3s 17670 Li-Ion
  9. SF-M6 stock with MN-21 bulb & 6xSF123a cells
  10. Mag66-FM's 2.5" Turbo Reflector in 1.5D Mag. AWR Hotdriver regulated @ 12.58V with 4s 14670 Li-Ion
  11. Mac's Mini-Mag with P4 warm U-bin Seoul LED, direct drive with 1 x C Li-Ion. (Tailcap Switch).
  12. Elephant HID. Original model with 10W WA Solarc Ballast. Made by FiveMega & Mac
  13. JetBeam III Ti Pro LED on maximum
  14. SF-L2 LED on high mode

The Parade of Lights in Post #2

The 4 Pills of DEFT:

Rotating Gif of 4 DEFT Pills:

The DEFT Diffuser Lens Competition:

Overall DEFT Features/Review:
Initial size impression upon receipt is the DEFT looked like a 1D Mag with an original FM Elephant 3" head. Body, tailcap, & head are all matching black, with minor knurling/grooves that are more cosmetic than useful. Fenix strap attached to build-in tailcap recessed eyelet. I have a concern about the Fenix thread/loop being strong enough for long term use, so would recommend being careful or replacing with heavier duty strap. It stands up smartly on its quality custom carbon fiber extended bezel, giving about 1/4" of clearance of lens surface from countertop.

It has a nice weight/balance in the hand. Actual weight with batteries is 1lb 2oz (0.5kg). Simple thumb on/off rubber booted switch with reliable feel. Black coating appears as a simple type of HA coating on aluminum tailcap, body, & head. No defects or scratches are seen.

Carbon fiber extended bezel is essential to avoid scratching this optical grade epoxy if stood up. Do Not Try To Save $$$ By Skipping The Carbon Fiber Extender !!! The carbon fiber is apparently glued to stock aluminum bezel, and on careful inspection this is much higher quality work than I expected. You can see the seam, but only if specifically looking hard to find it. The weaving is symetrical and even. There is a heavy duty outside coating that will hold up to a lifetime of ordinary use.

The entire light fits in a typical winter jacket or sweatshirt pocket, but I wish it had a soft cap to fit over bezel to give extra dust/scratch protection for lens. I will likely apply some of my Pachmayr "Pac-Skin" around body to give better grip and insulation from cold winter, as stock surface seems a bit slippery.

My first real concern before getting light was about the quality/clarity/durability of the optical grade epoxy lenses. I had an image in mind of those K-Mart plastic toy magnifying lenses, but these are suprisingly better than I had expected. While obviously not comparable to optical-grade, quality glass lenses, the extreme magnification function of DEFT setups forgives its limitations (as evidenced in above shootout images).

Close inspection and holding lens up to a light source reveals a few, very tiny (< 0.5mm) suspended air bubbles, and a few minor skuff/superficial scratches on underside of clear lenses. I emphasize that these are VERY minor and do not appear to have any effect whatsoever on the projected beam (not even on a whitewall). Overall on gross inspection, the lens looks almost like glass.

This epoxy is not a soft or impressionable type plastic. It actually feels quite hard & durable, but not as strong, clear, or polished as optical glass. Remember, this was a cost/availability, intentional tradeoff, and I believe it is more than acceptable, with one caveat--Be careful to not scratch, abrade, or damage lens surfaces, as it is not glass.

Since I have two sets of lenses for each light (one clear/one diffuser), I am going to look for some type of soft protective pouch for storage of spare lens. The diffuser lens has a very fine frosted surface pattern on base side that looks like a frosted/etched glass panel.

The battery holder is one of the higher resistance, cheap plastic type of 4xAA holders with both +/- contacts on inside end of holder. With a regulated driver, I don't have a big concern with this holder from a resistance standpoint. The tailcap does not make any battery contact, and it threads on smartly to hold battery pack in place.

The driver assembly uses battery holder contact points with simple springs (similar to the the cylindrical spring in a ball point pen), and should be adequate for long term use in this low amp LED application.

The pill design is one of the strong points in the DEFT. Given the power of the aspheric clear lens throwing result, the changeable pill and/or diffuser lens are unexpected bonuses. In other words, when you see just the clear lens aspheric throw, I feel that makes this worth the price alone.

These additions give an easy way to upgrade/re-configure your light as technology changes. 4 metal screws hold copper heatsink in place, and JST type 3 pin connector (1 pin is ignored, but helps with alignment and gripping) is easy to remove/replace with needle nose pliers. It took me 2-3 mins to interchange the pills. The parts are well machined and wires secured. I'm not sure if the bare copper will oxidize over time, but that would likely be a cosmetic issue.

One of my few valid criticisms of the DEFT is the shallow threads between body and head. Unscrewing that joint is extrememly difficult, and most will prefer removing bezel and lens to get at LED pill. Part of the problem is that saabluster used a slightly large O-Ring that makes the joint very tight and even more difficult to reconnect head and body. It will be very likely that you will damage these few, shallow threads by frequently separating the head from body. The work around is to remove the bezel instead.

I was also reminded of why I have switched exclusively to St. Claire's Nano-Lube when getting the black/gray lubricant all over my hands from unscrewing pieces. First thing I did was clean it all off and re-lube with the nano oil. This O-ring and aluminum contaminated lube also gets all over the white spacer ring that is above the lens (see photos below).

I suggested to saabluster that he consider spraypainting this plastic spacer ring with some black enamel so it didn't look so dirty upon inspection...whereupon he told me it had glowpowder coating on it. Indeed it does, but I do not believe that idea is worth the effort or appearance. Most of the glow comes from the LED mounting epoxy.

I should remind everyone that I am very picky, and look at all the small details more than most people. Overall, the only issue of all the points above that impacts functionality in a significant way is the bad threading/fit of body with head.

None of the other things I mentioned above is a significant, practical issue that affects what you want the DEFT to do. There was a conscious choice to keep costs down, so while this does not have the total package top-to-bottom quality maching of something you would expect from Mac, McGizmo, Data, etc., the DEFT leaves you feeling like you got more than your money's worth.

I made my impression and appreciation known by immediately ordering a third light after getting these two. Excellent overall performing, functional, and adaptable light, saabluster !

Size & comparisons to other lights.

Last edited:

choppers

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great pictures Lux!! Thank you for taking the time.

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow! You are putting it up against some heavy competition. That maxabeam is just unbelievable. Can't wait to see the rest of the pictures and get your comments on it all. Thanks for your hard work!

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

OK, let me pause after having all of initial set of photos for questions, feedback. If I did another set of shots using the Diffuser Lens, it would give a more apt comparison vs. Incans/Ellies? I do have some other LED lights, M4, M6, etc.

Saabluster, I used the one you sent me with clear lens and R-2, and then with other DEFT, I removed the MC-E and Diffuser, and put in the Q5-WC & other clear lens. I was thinking the R2 would have been notably brighter. Both had freshly charged same brand AA NiMH's.

DM51

Flashaholic

Just found this thread. It is a great comparison, Lux - an amazing line-up. I think for most people, the important shots are the Defts vs. the "old" aspherics, and the Defts are easy winners there.

I'll move this to the Reviews section.

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for this thread Lux. For a while there I couldn't understand what all the hype was about regarding the Maxabeam.....now I get it :bow:
Simply amazing.

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the in-depth review Lux!

In this shootout, The DEFT is CLEARLY the longest throwing LED Flashlight. You never mentioned anything about the fit, finish, craftsmanship of the DEFT as compared to others, it is truly one-of-a-kind.

choppers

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the in-depth review Lux!

In this shootout, The DEFT is CLEARLY the longest throwing LED Flashlight. You never mentioned anything about the fit, finish, craftsmanship of the DEFT as compared to others, it is truly one-of-a-kind.
I have the Black HA and the CF Bezel is a seemless look/fit. Mike trully did a fantastic job on this light. I am looking forward to the many other products the he offers here. (The Black Tie);)

Last edited:

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow, great comparison :thumbsup:

Before now the barnburner was just a thought in the back of my head. But wow, that is amazing output!

The DEFT really does live up to the hype. It decimated the other LEDs.

Patriot

Flashaholic

Lux does it once again! :cool: Great pictures and review. I've been very interested to see how the DEFT did against the 52mm aspherics and your pictures clearly demonstrate the difference.

P.S. If you happen to take a few extra pictures could you take a few close ups of the DEFT. I'm curious about what you think of the light regarding the build quality.

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

Thanks for comments. I really have not done the review of the DEFT details, workmanship, pro's/con's yet. I'll be posting it in reserved, 2nd post above, with photos. Wanted to first get the comparison shots up so people can see that it is quite the thrower, and a much different combo package than the Mag Aspherics.

Was pausing after first volley to see if it looks like I covered the beamshot comparisons that people have wondered about. There is only one place you can get this, so if you are interested, you may want to get on his list.

Honestly, in a hand held package I never thought you could outperform the various Mag aspherics which are already quite unique. There are a good number of those Mags out in people's hands, so you may think you "have the aspheric base covered" -- but you don't.

The DEFT is in a whole other cateogry of throw...but the interchangeability of clear/diffuser lens, and LED pills makes it a much more practical, powerful, variable, and future proof photonic tool.

I have one of the MC-E pills, but its 4 panel LED is not ideal for clear aspheric lens throwing. Interchanging it with the diffuser lens, and it suddenly becomes a whole different package. Also have the Q2-5A pill but didn't use it in first tests because Saabluster is out of stock.

It only takes a few minutes to interchange the pills...which makes the DEFT thoughtfully versatile. I was thinking about doing another set of shots with the other two pills, & diffuser lens....comparing to some other lights (incan, elephant, etc.).

Last edited:

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well thanks to everyones support we now have to start a new thread as the original one was getting too big.

There are some important things to take note of. First if you have not signed up already it is too late as I am stopping production of the DEFT once I am through the current list. These take a really long time to build and get in a condition where I am proud to have my name attached to it and to be honest even though these are not the cheapest lights ever I am not making enough to make it worthwhile.

. . . Don't worry too much if you are not on the list for the DEFT this go around as it likely will return sometime later in 09' with some innovation added to the mix.

Lux, it was pointed out to me in that thread that he is no longer taking names, that the DEFT ordering is closed at this time. I missed the boat too since I'd been hoping to get one when I went back to Texas for the holidays.

-LT

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

Lux, it was pointed out to me in that thread that he is no longer taking names, that the DEFT ordering is closed at this time. I missed the boat too since I'd been hoping to get one when I went back to Texas for the holidays.

-LT

End of 1st paragraph mentions another run in 2009, so that seems to contradict earlier statements. It's like any custom project in terms of labor intensive production time required....so if indeed these are all that he is doing, count yourself fortunate...or try to get one on BST.

Last edited:

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

End of 1st paragraph mentions another run in 2009, so that seems to contradict earlier statements. It's like any custom project in terms of labor intensive production time required....so if indeed these are all that he is doing, count yourself fortunate...or try to get one on BST.

Just was trying to clarify that there is no list on which to put oneself currently. It's not that there might not be one in the future but for now it is closed. I'm hoping for an "early" to be added to his "in '09" statement myself.

Question about your beamshots, it looks like the R2 actually has better color rendition. Is that the case or is my monitor playing tricks on me?

-LT

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow! I never thought a led could throw like that. And yet the (how many years old now???) MB is still the most incredible throw machine I have ever seen. Thanks for showing us regular people what the next....or next, next level of lighting is!

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just was trying to clarify that there is no list on which to put oneself currently. It's not that there might not be one in the future but for now it is closed. I'm hoping for an "early" to be added to his "in '09" statement myself.

Question about your beamshots, it looks like the R2 actually has better color rendition. Is that the case or is my monitor playing tricks on me?

-LT
Not to sidetrack this thread but I have rethought some things and the list is one of them. So check back on my thread for more.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not to sidetrack this thread but I have rethought some things and the list is one of them. So check back on my thread for more.

[trots over to other thread to sign up before Michael comes to his senses]

Lux, forgot to ask it also looks like the die projection sizes are slightly different. Are they the same size in use or is there a noticeable variation?

Thanks,
-LT