.22 rifle for hunting

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cy has a good idea with the right kind of air rifle. The Crossman 2100 classic (at the full 10 pumps) is at LEAST as powerful as a .22 short and probably good for small game up to about 10 lbs. At the minimum 3 pumps I have used it in my apartment before (with an appropriate pellet trap of course).

If you are set on a .22 though I'd second the Marlin 795.

guntotin_fool

Newly Enlightened
what is your price range?

under 150, one of the marlins or a used decent remmy used,

I happen to prefer tube feeds, as they seem to feed smoother.

200 or so, a ruger 10/22

300 or so the Marlin 39A lever or a better grade Remington bolt.

500 one of the Anschutz or Kimbers or Sako's

1000 Cooper.

cy

Flashaholic
Re: My 2 cents

already got a nice Browning .22 and Remington lever .22. both shoot pretty nice.

the mossbery model 46 really impresses me, after seeing them used in boy scouts. been wanting one for a bit...

IanJ said:
I also have a Mossberg Model 46 (I think that's it), which I really enjoy. The US Army used them as trainers in WWII, so they have a nice solid feel to them. It's tube-fed though, so maybe not what you want, but I really dig mine. They're available used for around $150, but if you can spare the $50, the CZ is probably better for what you want.

magic79

Enlightened
Might I toss out the idea of a .410 shotgun with #6 or #7 for squirrel as well as rabbits? Very light recoil, compact shot cloud, making a "head shot" possible without too many pellets in the body. I usually put the bead on the nose if the squirrel is presented broadsides.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Another couple of options - Remington 504-t

Or if your really crazy - a 504-c

and if your REALLY nuts

Model 40-XRBR™ KS

J Smith

Newly Enlightened
The only .22 I have now is a SS Ruger 10/22.
I have installed the new version fiber optic sights,extended mag release and flas hider.I can easally hold a 2 in group at 50 yards with it.
The Marlin 39A is a fine shooter.Really want another one.Back years ago I could pop the balls off sweetgum trees at 30yards with 22 shorts.
BTW I have not ever had any trouble with Ram line,Buttler Creek or Eagle high caps for the 10/22.

vtunderground

Enlightened
Well, I stopped by the gun shop to check out their .22 rifle selection. The one rifle that really impressed me was the CZ 452 American. Aside from the cheesy stamped trigger guard, the design and construction seemed very, very good. Unfortunately the only one they had in stock was left-handed.

guntotin_fool

Newly Enlightened
I was at my buddies house today and he has a cooper 57LVT rifle. I think he paid 2 grand for it. it was not windy today and shooting from his bench in the back of the garage I got five rounds of .22 lr into .45 inch at 100 yards He has a 6-18x leupold on it and I think a good shot could maybe get a .25 group out of it. Shooting eley ten-x match. I got four grackles within ten minutes, all head shot at between 80 and 100 yards. If you have the money or a spare kidney to sell, this is the gun for you...

Danbo

Enlightened
While I own tack driving bolt action .22s from both Remington and CZ, I prefer to hunt with my pet Marlin Golden 39A lever action. Plenty of accuracy and it just feels right.

Rando

Enlightened
I have a J C Higgins bolt action .22 that's probably at least 30 years old. I got it used from a gun store about 12 years ago for $40, and it's one of the most reliable and accurate rifle I've ever owned (and there's 14 sitting in my safe right now).

Can I ask what you don't like about tube mags? The one on the ole Higgins is reliable, easy to load, and holds something like 25 or 30 rounds.

MrThompson

Newly Enlightened
I'd go for the 1022.

If you want a high end and reasonable airgun, consider the 9 shot, lever action, 22 cal Career 707. None of the spring induced vibration of the R1 types. They can shoot 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards and pack the punch of a standard 22LR. MacOne modifications and drooper scope mount are recommended.

One more plug for the airgun. With all accuracy and all the rounds you can shoot your skills will improve at an alarming rate.

adnj

Enlightened
If you want great accuracy out of the box, get an Anshutz. I shot them competitively for years. The CZ is a nice rifle also.

If you want a nice hunting rig, stick with the 10/22. It has acceptable accuracy and can always be upgraded later if the itch hits you. I shoot 50 yard groups of 10 that are about the size of a nickel from sandbags with my handbuilt 10/22. A nice rig out of the box is about $300 with scope and rings.

Spend a few hours online and $1000 and you can get some sweet rigs that shoot near-championship groups out of the box also.

vtunderground

Enlightened
Rando said:
Can I ask what you don't like about tube mags?

Eh, it's just a personal preference... I like the ease of being able to unload quickly (by just dropping the mag and emptying the chamber) if I have to negotiate tricky terrain.

I won't know how much I have to spend until the end of the month, but I expect I'll be looking at $400 or less. Which is too bad, there are a lot of bolt-action .22's that've been making me drool (like the Anschutz's, and the Remington 504).

bigcozy

Enlightened
I have a 10/22 with a folding stock and Remington 572BDL pump .22. The Remington has an extremely long barrel and is very quite with light speed loads. As a kid, if I didn't bag six squirrels a morning, I felt like I had failed.

The 17HMR is different animal, it is a necked down .22 Magnum and is both different than a .22LR and fairly expensive to shoot. That said, it is one of the most impressive rounds I have ever shot, and I purchased a rifle just to shoot it. I live where there are lots of "critters" (coyotes, raccoons, possums, bobcat, skunks, beaver, muskrat...blah, blah, blah) and that 17HMR is EFFECTIVE. It allows me to step down from a .223 (much louder) for varmint duty, which sometimes is daily. Not to be consfused with the 17 Mach II which is a neck down 22 LR.

Lots of 10/22s in pawn shops that can be had pretty cheap and it is one of the most versatile guns on the planet. If I were buying a new 22LR rifle, I would be very tempted to purchase the new Walther G22 bullpup rifle.

waltherG22_black_lrg.jpg

Last edited:

Sharpdogs

Enlightened
Rando said:
I have a J C Higgins bolt action .22 that's probably at least 30 years old. I got it used from a gun store about 12 years ago for $40, and it's one of the most reliable and accurate rifle I've ever owned (and there's 14 sitting in my safe right now).

Can I ask what you don't like about tube mags? The one on the ole Higgins is reliable, easy to load, and holds something like 25 or 30 rounds.

I had one of these. It used to be my grandfather's. In a moment of complete and utter stupdity I sold to a friend who refuses to sell it back. I own/owend an AR-7, 10/22, Marlin 25n, Marlin 7000, Marlin Crown Prince and a few others I cannot rember right now. None were as fun or accurate to shoot as that JC Higgins.

Vee3

Enlightened
MrThompson said:
I'd go for the 1022.

If you want a high end and reasonable airgun, consider the 9 shot, lever action, 22 cal Career 707. None of the spring induced vibration of the R1 types. They can shoot 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards and pack the punch of a standard 22LR. MacOne modifications and drooper scope mount are recommended.

One more plug for the airgun. With all accuracy and all the rounds you can shoot your skills will improve at an alarming rate.

The 22 cal Career does not "pack the punch" of of a standard velocity 22lr, even with the heaviest pellets at the highest power setting that MAC-1 modifies it to. I'm sure someone has shot a 1/2" group at 100 yds with a Career, but it would be a rare occurrance even in totally wind-free conditions, and would probably not happen with the gun set on its highest power.

Meanwile, my CZ 452 American is my most accurate 22 sporter, and I have about 15 22 rifles. The 452 is probably the best bang for the buck rimfire bolt gun around if you like old-world craftsmanship (Machined steel and walnut) and accuracy. The trigger isn't the greatest out of the box, but is easily fixed with a $15 Brookies kit and a half hour of simple tinkering.

452 (Bottom) and BRNO Mod 4...

DSCF0515.jpg

5 round group at 50 yds using Wolf MT in 452 with Weaver K4...

DSCF0518.jpg

vtunderground

Enlightened
Very impressive shooting!

Are those medium or high rings on your 452? I think I heard somewhere that the 452 needs high rings in order for the bolt handle to clear the scope, and was wondering if that's true or not. I'd just be using a Simmons 22 Mag 4x32.

cy

Flashaholic
here's my fav... R1 .22 with Leupold 3.5x10 EFR w/50mm obj and custom Macari stock.

r1 leupold.JPG