SuperFire W-3 Cree Q5-WC 230-Lm LED Bike/Flashlight.

pe2er

Enlightened
I would like to introduce my Bike-light, reworked from a SuperFire W-3 Cree Q5-WC 230-Lumen LED Flashlight. This light I use during my 1:30 commute on a Giant RS-2 GTX bicycle.

This is the light I used for my project:
sku155741.jpg

First, I disassembled the light. It unscrews easily. An aluminium sheet was cut to a 25mm wide strip, and two screws were installed to hold the head of the light.
creebikelight2smallp.jpg

Next, I glued the head to the strip using epoxy bond:
creebikelight3small.jpg

This is what the assembled head light looks like:
creebikelight4small.jpg

...as installed on my bike:
creebikelight6small.jpg

Above this light, is my older light, which I no longer use.

Power comes from four TrustFire Protected 18650 Lithium Batteries (2400mAh). Two pairs of cells are placed in series, so I get a 7,2/4800mAh power pack that can provide ~7 hours of light.

This is the battery pack in the making, showing one of the paired cells and the electrical connector:
creebikelight7small.jpg

Of course, the cell no longer fit the standard charger, so I modified it, to accept the battery pack's connector :)

creebikelight9small.jpg

creebikelight0small.jpg

This is what it looks like now:
creebikelight8small.jpg

I Still need to:
- Mount it under my luggage rack
- Add a red LED taillight to it

So far, I am happy with the light it provides :D

Last edited:

pe2er

Enlightened
Next thing on my list: Make the battery pack water resistant:

And mount it under the luggage rack:

Click on the pictures for more information (in Dutch...)

Need to find some black ty-raps to replace the white ones :D

mhuk

Newly Enlightened
Do you charge all 4 batteries at the same time? If yes, is that safe? Any possibility of overcharging a battery if it charges quicker than one of the others?

pe2er

Enlightened
Yes, I do charge all 4 batteries at the same time. Two batteries in parallel are connected each to a battery shaft of my charger. So the two pairs are no longer in series. It should be safe; the voltage on a single cell will never exceed 4.2V, because it is limited to that voltage by the charger (same as it would do for a single cell).
battckt.png

On top of that, the cells I use are 'protected' cells. A piece of electronic protects each individual cell from undervoltage and overcharging.

So far, no problems :D

Last edited:

pe2er

Enlightened
Exactly. A jumper wire in the connector on the wire harness connected to the lamp switches the two battery pairs in series.

I Use a different cable to connect the battery to the charger. This cable does not have the jumper wire, so each pair of cells can be connected to the charger individually.

pe2er

Enlightened
The tail light is almost complete...

Here are the parts.
dscf0004osw.jpg

The LED and driver are salvaged from a 1W RED Spotlight from Dx.
A common round Blinky is modified to take a Dealextreme SKU 1919 35mm Lens/Diffusor.

Star glued to the aluminum backplate.
dscf0005zqa.jpg

Lens and red reflector clamped over the LED (too tight as it turned out later :( )
dscf0006lzk.jpg

The - now cracked - lens during testing.
dscf0007o.jpg

The LED driver is housed inside the rectangular reflector base.
dscf0008vow.jpg

dscf0009e.jpg

Connectors added to the wiring. Sub-miniature D will connect to the battery pack, the small round connector will be connected to the head light.
dscf0010s.jpg

Last edited:

pe2er

Enlightened
Tadaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Finished.... (Almost)

Here is a comparison between my backup light (Planetbike Superflash), my previous 'best light' mounted to my rackpack, and the new 1W light with diffuser:

A Close-up of the mounting; the Superflash is normally inside the rackpack and only mounted in case my batterypack runs dead.

The new light:
- Has a larger lit area when looking from behind.
- Has better side visibility.
- Takes power from my main battery pack.

Last edited:

pe2er

Enlightened
Thanks!

Too bad it's springtime - in wintertime I need to ride in the dark in the morning and evening - now I only have half an our of darkness in the morning :crackup: But I am ready for the coming winter :twothumbs

Did a runtime test last week with both lights switched on. One charge of the batteries gives me enough power for two days commuting. Runtime is a little over 2 x 2 x 1.5H = 6 Hours

dhiris

Newly Enlightened
Pretty good idea on making the charger for the battery pack. Did you solder the wires in the battery pack? Are the batteries connected serially? How long do they take to charge? Do the LEDs on the charger still show when the charge is complete? I'm not very familiar on how the charging works.

pe2er

Enlightened
Pretty good idea on making the charger for the battery pack. Did you solder the wires in the battery pack?
Yes, I did solder wires to the batteries. That was before I read some horror-stories about soldering to Li-Ion cells on this forum. No harm seems to be done, so far the batteries are performing well.
Are the batteries connected serially?
Yes, when powering the light. During charging, they are not connected in series.
How long do they take to charge?
I mostly plug in the charger after I finish riding in the evening and the following morning charging is complete. I Never timed it. I Estimate that it takes at least 4.8 Ah (Battery capacity) / 1 Amp (Charger current) = 4.8 Hours.
Do the LEDs on the charger still show when the charge is complete?
Yes, they do.

Hope this is helpful ;-)

pe2er

Enlightened
The red reflector broke (actually, the red reflector separated from the black base and I lost it...)
dscf0009e.jpg

So I had to modify the bracket to accept another reflector like so:
dscf0030lqf.jpg

Just one drawback; the new reflector is kind of big and ugly :scowl:

pe2er

Enlightened
Finally got around to making some pictures to compare my bike taillight with that of a car (Fiat Punto, 2003):
Here it is, comparing my bike (Fiets) to the normal taillights.
dsc00135py.jpg

The following picture shows a comparison with the rear fog (Mist) light.
dsc00136wf.jpg

Pictures are ade with my cellphone cam, so apologies for the low picture quality.

The verdict: Brighter than car taillight, but car rear fog light is even brighter.

pe2er

Enlightened
Life is short. Especially for LEDs :D

After less than one year its time for an emitter upgrade. Just finished swapping the CREE XR-E Q5 for a brand new XP-G :thumbsup:
30ufuht.jpg

Also took the time to finally paint the aluminum.
282jhq9.jpg

Now let the cold weather go away soon, so i can ride the bike again :p