26650 IMR and others sources?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Folks,

Just started playing with lights again after a long hiatus and I've found that 26650-powered torches are quite a good thing these days. Just bought a Jetbeam T4 which I love, and ordered an Acebeam EC50 Gen II 5000K. I'd like to order some top quality 26650 cells for these lights and others and I see that AW is not shipping by air any more.

That said, where do you USA guys go now for the best IMR and high cap cells?

You guidance would be much appreciated.

Wilkey

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used Ricard at Mountain Electronics and he's a good guy.

I bought two Efest IMR 3500s a couple of years back for a DQG Tiny Triple and they've been fine. I need 6A, so I went with those despite their lower capacity compared to some others.

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=59_108

It's a single cell light and I don't need protected cells, or button tops, which you may want to consider.

Chris

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Chris. I've read here and there that unprotected cells might be a bit short in some lights to make reliable contact or contact at all. I've resorted to using neo-mags in one of my lights but would like to avoid it if at all possible. What's the consensus on this?
The light would have to have a low voltage cut to be able to use unprotected cells, right? Although with the Mn chemistry, this should be less of a critical concern?
Wilkey

Flash Foto

Newly Enlightened
Hi Ginseng,
I have also used Mountain Electronics for many items and batteries.+1

For my IMR26650 needs I have been happily using ILLUMN:
http://www.illumn.com/batteries-cha...teries.html?___store=default&battery_size=293

They stock my favorite cells that I'm using in lights including Jetbeam T4 Pro :
26650 KeepPower 5200mAh Protected High Discharge Flat Top
SKU:2239 Availability: In Stock AND ON SALE.
These are the newer, shorter version! They have the 'older- longer version' if you need, even cheaper. Free shipping over $50.

"We worked with KeepPower to bring in a batch that will fit the L6."
Can confirm use 2x in recently upgraded Convoy L6 Clear 5000K

KeepPower 26650 5200mAh High Discharge Flat Top
Specifications:
Nominal Capacity: 5200 mAh
Nominal Voltage: 3.7V
Discharge End Voltage: 2.5V
Max Continuous Discharging Current: 9.5A
Dimensions:
69.50mm (L) x 26.40 mm (D)

This battery also works snug without magnets nor a blob of solder in my favorite mini = DQG Tiny 26650 III - 7x XP-G2nw 2,500lm Pocket rocket!

Hope this helps.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brilliant! That is most helpful and most sincerely appreciated, Flash Foto!
Cheers,
Wilkey

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Chris. I've read here and there that unprotected cells might be a bit short in some lights to make reliable contact or contact at all. I've resorted to using neo-mags in one of my lights but would like to avoid it if at all possible. What's the consensus on this?
The light would have to have a low voltage cut to be able to use unprotected cells, right? Although with the Mn chemistry, this should be less of a critical concern?
Wilkey

Well, some of your points have already been addressed. In my experience, protected cells are generally too long, not too short, but I suppose being too short crops up from time to time, especially if the light is designed to specifically accommodate protected cells only?

Both of your lights that you reference, are single cell jobbies, so I would think that they aren't purpose built for ONLY the longer protected 26650, but I don't have either, so I can't say with certainty.

Magnets are generally meant for flat top cells and reverse polarity equipped flashlights, where contact cannot be made due to the design protrusions on the circuit board at the positive end. Anything's possible, however.

Many modern lights will step down as the battery dims and I guess some like Zebralight will shut down at what...2.85v and some yet will gradually dim if they're directly driven.

I don't worry about protected cells, unless in series, since I'm good at checking voltages often and I don't lend my lights out to granny next door, but we've all got different thresholds where risk/reward comes into play.

Good luck with your new cells and lights. I love my little DQG Tiny Triple NW from Richard at Mountain. My first one literally went up in smoke, but the replacement has been a lot of fun, in a small size; however, it's my only 26650 light.

Chris

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you, Chris. My risk level is reasonable, but my "bothering to deal with all sorts of fiddly stuff just to make light" threshold has gotten lower with the passage of time.

I used to build my own packs (soldering and all) and charge my lights' batteries with a DC-only Electrifly Triton charger hooked up to an AC-DC converter. Not any more :)

Think it's time to give unprotected cells a shot.

Cheers!
Wilkey

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've ordered a couple of Efest Purple 4200 mAh cells from Mountain for my new Acebeam...which I LOVE! So excited!
Wilkey

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've ordered a couple of Efest Purple 4200 mAh cells from Mountain for my new Acebeam...which I LOVE! So excited!
Wilkey

You'll be fine with those and if there's a problem Richard is good at taking care of his customers, as I've experienced good CS twice through no fault of M.E..

Chris

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast

Latest posts