Headlamp suggestion for trail running.

spyros

Newly Enlightened

carrot

Flashaholic
The Surefire Saint will run for 6.5 hours at the maximum 100 lumens. It is very comfortable to wear and well-balanced. I believe it to be well suited for strenuous activity.

The maximum is too bright on trails in my opinion, however, and with the knob that offers infinitely variable brightness you can dim it down until it suits you and will offer significantly longer runtime than the 6.5 hours if you choose to use it on a lower level of output.

A review can be found on my website, linked in my signature.

spyros

Newly Enlightened
Do you know if the part of the headband that is over the head is removable? I prefer it being only around the head.

Ajax517

Newly Enlightened
You can pretty much scrap anything that requires a rear battery compartment.

In my experience the throw of the Zebralight H501 isn't suitable for running. Great for task or hiking but you can quickly outrun the light.

Princeton Tec EOS or Remix
Petzl Tikka2

vaska

Newly Enlightened
I'm sure that the main component of specialized lamp for trail running, orienteering, rogaining etc is headgear like those from LUPINE, MILA and SILVA.
Headband, made of elastic strips is not comfortable for long-distance run.

thaflash_la

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I love my Saint minimus, but if I'm running I'll want an over the head strap so I don't need to tighten the eleastic. Unless you're wearing a hat that will keep the light in place.

carrot

Flashaholic
The over the head strap is removable, yes. So is the external battery pack if you wish to just use the light as a small forehead mounted unit.

Szemhazai

Enlightened
Sorry guys, but most of You do not know what means "to run" :ohgeez:

I suggest Princeton Apex or Apex Pro - it can be modded easy to Cree XP-G - you will have 250+ lumens for 6 hours.

csa

Enlightened
The minimus is a great light, but I don't known if it has enough throw for that application.

thaflash_la

Newly Enlightened
Not only does the Saint have enough brightness but the beam is wide enough to light up what's ahead as well as what's right in front of your feet and the edge of the trail.

Unless we're talking about trail sprinting, it should have enough light.

Jagge

Newly Enlightened
If you are sub 3h marathon runner or something like that, then it might be better to get something bright enough for you speed, like lupine tesla or magickshine - belt pack setup would keep head part weight about at 100g. Most serious trail runners I know have been lately going from the type of lights you listed to birghter slype setup. If you are hobby jogger and take it less seriously, then you'll do fine with those lamps, just slow down enough and you'll do just fine. But it of course depends also how technical those trails are and is there any ambient light (like summer nights at northern scandinavia), is it a 6h race or not and so on.

Ay-up is one alternative not mentioned above.

Last edited:

spyros

Newly Enlightened
I think these headlamps are a bit heavy for trail running. I am not sure if having them on my head for hours is good.

Jagge

Newly Enlightened
I think these headlamps are a bit heavy for trail running. I am not sure if having them on my head for hours is good.

Tesla's or magickshine's weight on head is same or less than some or most of the lamps you posted, like Petzl Myo RXP.

spyros

Newly Enlightened
Petzl Myo RXP is 175g, Lupine Tesla is 320g, almost twice the weight of the Myo. As for the magickshine, i don't know.

xcandrew

Newly Enlightened
Petzl Myo RXP is 175g, Lupine Tesla is 320g, almost twice the weight of the Myo. As for the magickshine, i don't know.

Jagge said "on the head" since you said, "I am not sure if having them on my head for hours is good." My Magicshine is 158 g for that part (minus battery pack and extension cable). The Tesla is probably a bit less.

Last edited:

spyros

Newly Enlightened
After a bit of search i see that the surefire costs almost twice as much as the rest of the headtorches :thinking: . Does the cable that connects the battery pack with the headstrap is long enough so i can mount the pack at my waist?

Last edited: