2AA light / multiple levels / FORWARD clicky recommendation

sween1911

As much as I like to think I know what lights are out there today, the general populace here is much more up to date than I am.
I have a pretty good idea of the lights I'd like, but I'd like to pick your brains...

- 2AA : I'd like to explore other options than CR123 primaries. I got a bunch of Eneloops and want to put them to good use. I like the 2AA form factor.

- Tailcap button on/off, modes through bezel twisting or selector ring or button OTHER than main on/off button on tailcap.

- LED : A nice warm tint, not the crazy blue/purple/green

- Multiple-levels

- Between $50 - $100

- Lumen level: a nice low-low to a high of 150 - 300 lumens. Strobe ok but not necessary.

- Doesn't have to be a throw-monster, but I'd like the ability to identify an object from 0 - 50 yards outdoors at night.

- FORWARD clicky : This is a big one for me...the ability to change the levels so that I can set the level and run it like a tactical single-level forward clicky with momentary without worrying about multiple clicks on the same tailcap that turns it on and off.

Right now, the Fenix LD22 seems to be the light. Anyone have any other suggestions? How does the level-setting work with the LD20? Not sure I'm on board with the button on the LD22, how does the level setting work on the LD20? If I were to find an LD20 in the marketplace and get a foward-clicky for it, would that be a choice as well? Any brands I'm leaving out?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

MichaelW

I think that Eagletac is in the process of updating the P100A2 to the xp-g2 neutral-white. I don't think it has been released yet.

Unless you need something with more than two modes.

jorn

I really like the quark aa turbo. Had a old warm version and used it alot when outdoors. Lost it.. And recently got 2 cheap ones from goingear with the old brand logo. Put some neutral xp-g2's in them, and im happy again.
Perfect for me when im someplace outddors. 2 modes is usually all i need. lo and high. Can momentary push all i want in a overhand grip without changing levels, and dont need to raise my hand and change grip to change modes when walking with my hands down. Normally i use a floody headlamp (h51fc), so somthing throwy that shares the same batt, fits me fine. Current controlled and headtwist to change between 2 modes is a winner for me.

reppans

Another vote for Quarks. (Sadly I think they're getting out the specialty tint business though)

Tactical XML for floody, XPG2 for throwy, and Turbo for even more throw.

TweakMDS

- FORWARD clicky : This is a big one for me...the ability to change the levels so that I can set the level and run it like a tactical single-level forward clicky with momentary without worrying about multiple clicks on the same tailcap that turns it on and off.

Not sure if these come in neutral white, but the Sunwayman M20A (3 modes) or V20A (variable) is quite nice with this. Magnetic control ring and a "regular" clicky with momentary. It's not as efficient on lower modes as a quark AAX2 or eagletac D25A2 though...
Sunwayman also has great machining so definitely a solid light that looks and feels very nice.

Last edited:

välineurheilija

The level setting on the LD20 is done by softpressing the button when the light is on.low-medium-high-sos and with the head tightened turbo-strobe if that helps :)

Sent from a mobile telephone

sween1911

As always, I appreciate everyone's input.

I've been researching lights in this range, and the Klarus XT2A seems to be pretty good, I like the tactical button where you are always assured high output.
Anyone have direct experience with it?

sween1911

Circling back, based on research on CPF and reading various reviews, I got a Klarus XT2A. Amazing UI on those! I first read about "2 buttons on the tailcap" and thought it would be cumbersome, but in actual usage it becomes second nature. The secondary mode button is just small enough to stay out of the way, but accessible when needed. Output is fantastic and it runs like a champ on Eneloops.

roadkill1109

Another vote for Quarks. (Sadly I think they're getting out the specialty tint business though)

Tactical XML for floody, XPG2 for throwy, and Turbo for even more throw.

Yeah looks like FourSevens has gone the way of the Maglite....same flashlight, different LED, but no longer coming up with cutting-edge next-generation lights.

But hey, their lights really work, and last. Still the best warranty (10 years) and the best customer support.

jorn

Dont need the warranty. I only got only one stock 4seven's with warranty. A preon 2 hi cri. Other than that, i would feel bad about claming warranty on any of my many 4seven's.

One of the reasons i like the quark turbos is it's not hard at all to open for a cutting edge ledswap:devil: The head is two pices that will uncrew when boiled. Nice buildt. It's whats inside thats counts, and like what i see when I dissect them :)

Last edited:

fractal

The Fenix E21 is a forward clicky, can press half way for momentary on, light with two modes set by twisting the head. All the way tight for high, loosen a little for low. It has a lot of throw for a small light. 50 low, 150 high.

I just got one today and it feels decent in the hand. My biggest objection to it is that it rolls. My second objection is it can't tail stand. Finally, unscrewing the tailstop to put the batteries in sounded like dragging chalk across an old chalkboard. But, it is at the bottom end of your price range.