2aa penlight needs led!!

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have a friend that has a penlight that he uses to look at maps etc, when he is on night duty with the power company. I told him i would build a bulb retrofit but when i plug it in to the 3v penlight the light is very dim.........any suggestions? the only thing that i could think of is to run lithiums but haven' actually tried that yet

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Check the batteries and make sure they're really putting out 3 volts under load.

What LED are you using? Most white LEDs have forward voltages greater than 3 volts, and the lower the voltage, the less current they'll draw.

Short Circuit

Newly Enlightened
What type of bilb does the penlight use? If it is one of the PR-2 or the screw type, then the nite-pearl bulb would work with it's built in inverter. There is a US supplier now at sinotone.com as well as for the pr-2 techass.com has them also.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mike, make him spring for a Luxeon, besides their bright output, they also make great map lights on 3V, and run forever on a set of batteries. I've got one in a Sears AA and keep it in the car just for such uses. No heatsinking required beyond small circuit card.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
thats a good idea ill talk to him about that and see what he says. might run off of three n cells and a spacer also.