2AA to 2D adapter

wquiles

Flashaholic
Welcome to the CPF's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I did buy a 4-bay AA Charger from one of our sponsors (JS Burly's) that came with 4 of these AA-to-D adapters, but I don't know who else might sell them.

Assuming that you are trying to use rechargable AA's in your light, since your light takes D size cells, why not instead use a high capacity D NiMH like the 11000mAH that are available today?

Tells us more about your project so that we can give you more ideas/suggestions.

Will

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
I already own a AA/AAA NiMH charger with a lot of AA batteries and for now I can't affort the price of a new charger and new batteries. This kind of adapter would be very nice for my needs so I was trying to find someone who already used them. A 3AA to 2D adapter would be nice too since I use a Diamond 2/3D regulated replacement bulb in my Maglite.

Thanks

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like you, WildChild, I'm standardizing on AA cells, even for any C-cell flashlights that I might buy. I've ordered a Propolymer 3C (10 LEDs) from a forum member. For this light, I have four AA-to-C adapters, which I purchased from the Hong Kong vendor to whose listing you've linked. They're made of polyethylene. You pry open the case like a clamshell, insert the AA, and snap the case closed. The AA-to-C adapter is a bit more straightforward than your AA-to-D, because the AA and C are about the same size; the AA terminals are exposed . I don't know what the D case uses as a filler to electrically connect one of the terminals to the end of the plastic case.

These adapters are a cool, clever solution that can make a 2C to 4D flashlight unbelievably light...especially with lithium AAs!

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered a set of two to try them. Anyway, they are not "too" expensive. I'll post a feedback as soon as I receive them.

MrTwoTone

Newly Enlightened
MCM electronics sells a neat AA to D adapter .The AA cell slides into the rear of the adapter and is held in place by collet type clamps.PM me if you want a couple to try-my cost was about 50 cents each.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
you could also find a tube the right length that fits the batteries adding a metal slug inbetween them to make up the difference in length and you could cut cardboard discs or wrap insulation around the tube to make diameter correct. As far as the spring you could use a metal washer and bolt combination instead of the center slug screwed into the bottom of the tube for a negative contact.

MrTwoTone

Newly Enlightened
The ones in the Ebay offering look like the ones I have from MCM(that guy on ebay sure knows how to double his money)!I have used these in M@gs.,work OK after modding the tail spring a bit.These are made so that the negative end of the AA end is flush with the end of the adapter.Let me know if you want to try a couple-2 for a buck plus actual postage.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the moment I ordered the ones I put in my first post to try them. I'll tell you if I'm interested with those you have.

Thanks!

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can also use this adapter to use 1, 2, 3 or 4 AAs connected in parralel.
4AA_to.jpg

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I wonder if that would fit most everything, could be nice to make a standard 2D gadget into a 2/4AA based item and save having to mess with D cells altogether.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem with this adapter is that my AA NiMH batteries are too big to put 4 in parallel in my Maglite. Probably I could only put 3. And I'm looking for 2 or 3 in serie since my LED bulb (Diamond 1W Regulated) is made for the 2D/3D Maglite. Also, I found nice 8AA to 2D regulated adapter I've seen on this forum (I haven't tryed it) but it doesn't works for LEDs. A 6AA to 2D regulated adapter (3.6V) would be really nice with the output current not pulsed like the 8AA to 2D so it could work with LEDs.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
If that adapter would fit tight fit D cell applications with 3 AA cells in it that would be fine as you could put 3 2500mah in it and have a 7500mah D cell or perhaps even a 4 cell 10000mah D cell for about the same price it takes to order or buy one of them online with the advantage of using fast chargers to replenish them instead of waiting half a day for a charger to get a 10000mah D cell back up you could get one in an hour.

David_Campen

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
You can also use this adapter to use 1, 2, 3 or 4 AAs connected in parralel.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this the adapter sold by an online store shipping from Singapore that needs some reworking to get it to function?

I am still searching for just this - a 4 AA parallel to D adapter. I want to use it with an emergency locator strobe light, the housing for this light has some extra diameter so it is not a tight fit.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Is there such a thing as a 2AA-C adapter? I know the diameter difference may be too large to work but it would be interesting to see.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here

Since these adapters will work with batteries with extended nipples only, with some modification you can use 4 of 14500 in parallel to direct drive 3 watter in a 1D M*g

PhotonAddict

Enlightened
WIth batteries connected in parallel with this adapter, would small differences in the batteries result in more current being drawn from some than others?