2C Mag w/ 2x18650: bulb options?

Flakey

Enlightened
/agree with dev on this one even at 4.5 amp draw (nominal pull from high bulb) that is 2.045C (repeating decimal) yep you are .045 over your limits with protected cells even withought startup surge. when the light turns yellow and dim TURN IT OFF. or if you dont trust yourself bring along a stopwatch =P

Kryosphinx

Enlightened
You probably don't have to worry about over-discharging the cells. It dims a lot and fast when it's time to recharge them. You can't miss it.
The ROP bulb package comes with both bulbs, so you can try both.
Also, the Deep reflector from fivemega does not work well with the ROP. It gives it a very underwhelming flood.

kennyj

Enlightened
I guess that if it's that noticable, I should be okay. I'll just have to make damn sure that I don't let anyone else touch or screw with my light.

So... any suggestions for 18650s to get, and where? I've heard very good things about the LG Chem cells, with a 2300mAh nominal capacity, but I don't know where to actually get them. On the protected side of the fence, Pilas have a good capacity (2200) but are really expensive... any other options that might be worthwhile?

Delvance

Enlightened
How about CPF member AW's LIon sales thread over in dealers corner ? 18650 2200mAh and he sells protected versions as well. I've got four of AW's unprotected 18650s, nothing wrong with them at all and they're cheap from him :)

The LG 2400mAh 18650s can be bought at www.batteryspace.com but i'm sure there are other sources too hrmm.

Flakey

Enlightened
I currently have 2X 18650's from AW heading my way. i have one of his cells in my u2 and its great, and damn cheap to boot! (great customer service too)

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Delvance said:
Incan lamps, when first fired up, draw massive amounts of amp to heat the filament up, then it drops down to the specified amp draw by the manufacturer. I'm pretty sure my ROPS draw over 10 amps on startup then quickly settle to ~4, so protected cells won't work.

Using tenergy protected 18650's from all-battery.com and they fire up the ROP HI fine. Supposed to be Fully Protected. :candle:

Delvance

Enlightened
!!!

That webstore is going to be out of stock very soon lol from owners of ROP LE 2C flocking in and buying them!

Thanks for the headsup Lips. This is the first time that i've actually read about someone being able to fire up the HI with protected cells. Alot of people have tried with various brands and failed.

Edit - These ones, Lips ? http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=558

Last edited:

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Couple of places have the same batteries.

More info and thread Link

Edit: Not them, same specs but 2200mah, $23.79 for 4

Warning: No one that I have seen has proven the protection in these cells so I am treating them as unprotected...

Last edited:

kennyj

Enlightened
Lips said:
Using tenergy protected 18650's from all-battery.com and they fire up the ROP HI fine. Supposed to be Fully Protected. :candle:

Anything you have to do to make them fit (aside from the cut spring, at least?)

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used a soft rubber hose from Lowes/Home Depot to keep battery centered. Brought battery and flashlight tube inside to get right fit. You can slice some out of the hose to help with the fit. Deanodized bottom of tail cap with a dremmel and use 3 tiny magnets (AW) (top,middle,bottom) for a perfect fit. No spring...

AW

Newly Enlightened
Lips,

Can you take an Amp. reading of the protected cells that work on the HOLA ROP using the 10A setting of a DMM? If the protection PCB is working properly, you should read 0.00A. If you see 13+ Amp, these are not protected cells or the protection PCB is not functioning. Caution : Do the test very carefully and do not ' short ' them for more than 1 second. The reason I ask is because I have seen protected cells with fautly PCB will allow very high current draw and they'll behave like unprotected cells.

Regards,
AW

kennyj

Enlightened
Lips said:
I used a soft rubber hose from Lowes/Home Depot to keep battery centered. Brought battery and flashlight tube inside to get right fit. You can slice some out of the hose to help with the fit. Deanodized bottom of tail cap with a dremmel and use 3 tiny magnets (AW) (top,middle,bottom) for a perfect fit. No spring...

I was more concerned with the length, actually. Many people report protected cells to be too long to fit in that host.

Perhaps they have an unusual definition for the word "protection." AW's DMM test should be interesting, as would any attempt to test the overdischarge protection (which is what we really care about anyway...)

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kenny they measure 64.4 mm with a digital caliper. The unprotected measure 64.7 mm. Both fit and work in the ROP LE

AW is helping me with Dial settings on the DMM for a test. I am a novice with a DMM :ohgeez:

kennyj

Enlightened
That sounds kinda fishy... the specs for the batteries you linked claim a length of 68mm +/- .2mm. Is it possible that there was a mix-up of some sort?

Other protected cells, from what little research I've done today, seem to be at 68mm also. Come to think of it, to make the cell conform to the 18mmx65mm size with a protection PCB present, you'd lower capacity somewhat, and 2400mAh is the highest known capacity for 18650s, with 2200mAh apparently the standard for high-quality cells.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Test finished with AW's DMM help! Used protection glass, thick gloves/clothing etc

Checked again and they measured 64.4mm, a little smaller than the official unprotected ones, even by eye.

10amp test done and readings were all over the place because of quick touch. Many readings over 10, up to 15.9.

Maybe AW can expound on the test… Doesn't look like these are Protected after all…

AW

Newly Enlightened
With a 10 - 15A reading under 'flashamp' test, the cell you tested is definitely without short/ overcurrent protection. I doubt there is any overcharge/ overdischarge protection either. Please handle them like unprotected cells.

Regards,
AW

HammerSandwich

Newly Enlightened
I've used LG 2400s in my ROP for about 2 months now. It's a pretty simple build, detailed in plenty of posts around here, and the light kicks butt. My LGs came from 4sevens.