2C Mags: not popular?

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just have to look harder.:poke:

000_1383.jpg

It helps if you can sweet-talk a local anodizing shop.:)

I've only seen black for awhile now at Home Depot. Wish I had bought more of the purple ones when they were available. I've got a deal pending on my last one right now. If only I'd have known......... The black also seemed to be drying up last I looked. Might have to grab some of those.

GarageBoy, PM sent.

The one in the middle is a Pewter?
I'm still trying to figure out a clean way of getting 18650s in to it without the de anodize trick

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are very hard too find...

Our local exchange has like 2 left...but I prefer the C sized body for EDC...I running mine now with a stanard PR based 3-Watt led, but also have some PVC to run a 5 Cell magnum star xenon in it. The C Cell bodies may not be the best for "checking tires", but they'er definitely much more comfortable to carry.

Balog

Newly Enlightened
I just wish I could find the 5C's still. I missed out on them when they were in production. Anyone know a decent place to find one?

Also, Fry's online has 2C's for sale.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just wish I could find the 5C's still. I missed out on them when they were in production. Anyone know a decent place to find one?
They show up in the Marketplace and eBay occasionally.

FlashlightKing still had some as recently as a year or so ago, but that doesn't help.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
3C P7 top, 2C Mag LED module bottom.
3Cvs2Cmag.jpg

Front row L to R: Shining beam L mini, Dereelight CL1H v4, MTE P7, Elektrolumens EDC P7, common 2AA flashlight, Fenix L1T v2, L0D CE.
Back row 2C.
EDCP7size.jpg

Alex K.

Newly Enlightened
I went to Home Depot yesterday, and they do not have any 2C Maglites anymore. The employee I asked didn't even know if they would ever get more in. He said it took 6 months to sell the display of 15 flashlights. I bought five of those Maglites at Christmas.

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
C Mags were at one time very popular where I live, back about 10-15 years ago. They are not seen in stores anymore and I think I know why: I bought 2 of the 2C version for the wimminfolk to keep in their cars, thinking they could wield them better than a D Mag, but in use they turned out to be very unreliable: for some reason they fade out after a few minutes to seconds, or sometimes don't come on at all until you pound the head against something. So we relegated them to backroom storage, where they might become useful if there's a natural disaster situaton- C cells are observably among the last to sell out in stores. It never occurred to me in those days that it might be possible to fix the reliability situation so if anyone has a suggestion I'd like to hear it!

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW's extension ring?
I have a physical handicap with my hands and the Mag springs are rather strong. Rather than pushing with my arms and body risking cross threading, I tried the AW rings. The springs still reach the batteries (just) so I left them on.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, what is the going price for a 5C Mag donor body?
I don't know if they show up frequently enough for there to be a going price. I thought I remembered seeing one show up recently on the marketplace, but I can't find it now.

ProofTech

Newly Enlightened
My favorite flashlight to use outdoors is a 2C that's been converted into a 18650 powered Mag74. I just love its size, the amount of throw it has, and the fact that I can adjust the beam like a stock mag. However, unlike a stock mag, this light only produces a very small donut hole when it's adjusted to the "flood" setting.

Alex K.

Newly Enlightened
C Mags were at one time very popular where I live, back about 10-15 years ago. They are not seen in stores anymore and I think I know why: I bought 2 of the 2C version for the wimminfolk to keep in their cars, thinking they could wield them better than a D Mag, but in use they turned out to be very unreliable: for some reason they fade out after a few minutes to seconds, or sometimes don't come on at all until you pound the head against something. So we relegated them to backroom storage, where they might become useful if there's a natural disaster situaton- C cells are observably among the last to sell out in stores. It never occurred to me in those days that it might be possible to fix the reliability situation so if anyone has a suggestion I'd like to hear it!

Funny you mention that. I never experienced the fade out problem you described, but larger C-Cell Mags always seem to have problems turning on for me. I always have to smack my palm with the body of the flashlight. However, it only happens to me in the larger C sizes. The 4 and 5 cells being the most problematic. I have never handled a 6 or 7 cell, so I could not speak to that. I think the springs become weak with time. A friend of mine has an early 80's 5C, and you ALWAYS have to hit it on something to get it to work. However, my 2 month old 4C Mag is already experiencing this problem. I would call Mag and talk to an associate, maybe you could make a warranty claim, or at least get some ideas from them.

DIY Lumens

Newly Enlightened
...turned out to be very unreliable: for some reason they fade out after a few minutes to seconds, or sometimes don't come on at all until you pound the head against something.

I haven't had that problem in a C Mag, but every 3, 4 and 5 D Mag I've had in the past 10 years has had that problem. I have actually thrown some of them away in frustration, usually without bothering to turn it off since it wasn't working anyway.

737mech

Enlightened
This thread inspired me to go out and get a Black 2C Maglite. I made a PVC battery spacer, modified the tailspring a bit, and threw in 3x CR123's. Added a FM bi-pin adapter and a Magcharger bulb. Completed it with a KD MOP cammed aluminum reflector and a UCL lens. Fun, easy build and nice and bright.

I was thinking of trying out a Magnum or Xenon bulb. Anybody care to recommend a good potted bulb for this cell configuration? I have read were people say the 5 cell bulb or the 6 cell bulb....
:popcorn:

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have actually thrown some of them away in frustration, usually without bothering to turn it off since it wasn't working anyway.

Please don't throw away any more non-functioning Maglites. Instead post about the problems here and the CPF members can either diagnose the lights or buy them from you. I'm confident that broken Maglites are never truly "broken."

It's probably just me but I never throw away anything in frustration if it doesn't work properly. I was taught to fix things that don't work.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to use a 2C black with magnumstar xenon bulb for spotting addresses at night. It was the perfect compact size for that, didn't really need the heft of a 2D Mag. It had good throw and didn't light up the whole front of the house like my 1mcp Vector Sport Spot. I liked the switch on the C better too, it was smoother and lighter while my D's always had stiffer switches. C batteries don't last nearly as long as D's though. I might have to pick a 2C or 4C up again now. Maybe sand the inside a bit and throw some IMR26500's in there. :D