2D Mag goes regulated HID! (lot of pics & now w/ beamshots!)

Nereus

Enlightened
Re: 2D Mag goes regulated HID! (lot of pics!)

smurf_boi said:
great moD..i wish i could do that to my 2D mag...and...can it work on alcalines as well?
Yes it can. Due to the step-down converter the light is not sensitive to input voltages. You can use nimhs, nicds, alkalines or primary lithiums. The input current is some 1 amp so only good alkalines should be used.

-N

BVH

Flashaholic

I removed the outer glass from my Mag2HId W/A lamp before I sold it. It worked fine. I left a small piece of outer glass in place to facilitate installation and removal. My eye could not tell if there was an increase in brightness.

Nereus

Enlightened

Ken_McE said:
Beamshots please. Just give me a time and I'll go outside and look north.:grin2:
I'm going to the countryside this weekend for beamshots. Have a look on northern sky saturday evening at 21:00 EET. Watch for weird looking aurora borealis, that's me and my maghid! :D

-N

Aepoc

Enlightened

Nice light. Its good to see pics of what others are doing. I like how you used pencils to align the batteries.

Can't wait for beamshots.

r3d33m3r

Newly Enlightened

Impresive work and some extensive knowledge of electronics. GOODDDD!!!!

Regards.

Nereus

Enlightened

Thanks for your comments! :) Now it is time for beamshots! The beamshot competitors are below, standard 2D Mag and Mag HID...

P3030336.jpg

First one indoor beamshot... I guess I don't need to tell you which one is Mag HID? :D

P3030338.jpg

Standard 2D Mag and Mag HID side by side, close distance:

P3030350.jpg

Next some far distance beamshots. First, here is the benchmark to show you that it was almost "quality dark". I took the benchmark pic from exactly the same position using a stand than the following beamshot pic so compare it to this pic:

P3030355.jpg

The distance to the shed is some 200 m (checked with a map). Poor std 2D Mag could not throw that far...

P3030346.jpg

There was another shed there, this time the distance is some 300 m (again, checked with a map). First a benchmark pic...

P3030364.jpg

...and here you can see the shed (the same stand position than in the pic above). And again, poor std 2D Mag could not throw that far...

P3030351.jpg

Nice after glow isn't it? :D

P3030343.jpg

A bit different angle:

P3030344.jpg

This is where the glow is coming from: the bulb socket is surrounded by green glow powder + epoxy mix:

P3030345.jpg

Okay folks, do we have a winner in the std Mag 2D vs. Mag HID beamshot competition? :D

-N

Last edited:

Nereus

Enlightened
Thanks guys for the positive feedback! :) Can you believe that the cheapest (and still very far from cheap!!!) way to buy Welch Allyn B10N008 ballast + bulb in Finland is to order UKE Light Cannon 100 from Brightguy and disassembly it! :green: A friend of mine is professional diving teacher and he almost started to cry when he heard that I never used the LC100 for its intended purpose but instead I disassemblied it immediatly after getting it out of the box and used only 2 parts from it and threw the rest to trash bin... :grin2: Well, he is not the only person who thinks that I have gone crazy when modding flashlights! :D

-N

Last edited:

Nereus

Enlightened
I went to countryside this weekend and made some throw tests... Can you believe that maghid has no problems illuminating a detached house from a distance of 700m?!? (Checked the distance with a map) This makes me think that the practical upper limit for throw is some 1 km. That's incredibly much from a 2D mag!
smile.gif

I tried to take some beamshots but I am a beginner and unfortunately I can not provide you with pics of the far distance performance of the flashlight.
frown.gif

-N

Valolammas

Enlightened
WOW, that's amazing!! And here I was thinking of modding my 2D Mag with a lowly 6V 5W GU4 bulb... Oh well, I'll still do it, got to start somewhere. But now you got me thinking of those 12V MR16s, since it apparently IS possible to stuff 12 AAs into a 2D. Hmm...

(The reason I was going to use a 5W bulb is that I don't have a metal reflector, so if you happen to have extra ones laying around that you'd be happy to get rid of, drop me a PM. :))

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nereus said:
I finished this mod 2 years ago, but now that I have learned to post pics it is time to report about this mod to fellow CPFers......... -N

I' d like just to say that this is my favourite MAG 2D mod I have ever seen!!:drool:
:wow: very very good job nereus (and very good pics:grin2: )

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice mod nereus. :twothumbs
It's amazing how you fit 12x cells AND a step-down regulator in there.

Nereus

Enlightened
I got an interesting PM from CPF member Ra: what happens when input voltage drops when batteries get empty?

I asked about the converter behaviour from a National engineer 2 years ago. Even though the LM2670 is a step down converter, it doesn't go to direct drive when input voltage sags. It regulates the output voltage with PWM and maximum duty cycle for it is 91%. This means that given the fixed 11v output voltage, 13,2 volts is the minimum input voltage that keeps the converter in full regulation. If input falls below that, output will drop accordingly. (You can not find this info in the datasheet.)

13,2 volts means 1,1 volts per cell. Usually nimh cell is almost empty if its voltage drops this low under relatively light ~1 amp load. And keep in mind that the output dies very fast, within one minute, when batteries get empty. That's why it can be said that the time there is less than 1,1 volt average cell voltage is very short. Hence, the risk of cell reversal is quite little.

-N

Bushman5

Enlightened
great mod, i'm getting inspired to venture forth into some soldering now.