2x123 with tight white beam?

GrayFox

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I am seriously looking for a "throw baby" I would prefer a 2x123 setup to minimize the different kinds of batteries I use.

I currently have a L4, great flood but not much "throw".
In addition I have a McLux-PR with a 5 watt LS driven by a 700ma badboy , much better throw than the L4 with a lot of flood.

The 5 watt LS's seem to generate about 65 lumens ( from what I have read). It is my understanding that they do not have a super throw because they are basically not a "point" source like an incandescant.

I also have a KL1 and a LSH-P these are 1 watters and are said to generate 17~22 lumens and are overpowered by the 5 watt models.

I don't know how hard the KL1 and LSH-P are driven...

It has been suggested to me that a McLux-PR with a Luxeon III driven to 700ma or more will have a ( significantly? ) greater thrown that my McLux with the 5 watt led ( although with a lot less total light being generated).

Has anyone had any experience with such a construct? Any beamshots?
Hard numbers? Will the 5watt McLux still overwhelm the Luxeon III?

Should I wait for the L5? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

--Jerry

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
The KL1's are driven around spec of 350mA. The Arcs are driven at 333mA.

The McLux PR with a 1W or 3W led driven at 700mA will outthrow the McLux with the 5W but it still puts out less light overall. I suspect the L5 will have a similar reflector size as the McLux which means similar throw. Can't tell for sure until they come out but the pictures seem to indicate so. I can post beamshots of a 1W driven at 700mA through a Pelican reflector (it's hosted in a KL3) later this evening if you're interested. Tell me what you want it compared against.

CM

Sproing

Newly Enlightened
I received a Slim McLux-PR with a Lux III and a downboy 1000 from McGizmo a couple of days ago. I've only played with it for 2 nights but I definitely like the throw of this light. Compared to a Pelican M6 with a 5W McModule, this light throws significantly further but with less flood light than the 5W. For close up work I would say the 5W would be a better choice but for anything past 20-30 feet, I would definitely choose the Luxeon III.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tight white beam with 2x123? Sounds like MN03 to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mark

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
dont know about the mclux or the L5, but, my streamlight TL2 LED throws very well. my tec 40 is only a little brighter.

Bob

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a stock 2x123A light, a Pelican M6 sounds like what you're looking for unless you're insisting on an LED option. It has the greatest throw of the stock 2x123A lights I've tested.

GrayFox

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info...

I have a MN03 but I am really hooked on the led solution.

CM: a beam shot against a L4 or E2E/Mn03 would be appreciated.

Hmmm, what about E2E/McLux Pack + E2C + KT1 TurboHead + 5W LS?

--Jerry

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
GrayFox said:

Hmmm, what about E2E/McLux Pack + E2C + KT1 TurboHead + 5W LS?

--Jerry

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Jerry,

If you're willing to go to a light with a Turbohead, you really need to look at this light, or even this one, or even...

IF you don't mind the larger size. I regularly light up a line of trees over 200 yards away behind my backyard, and with the 11,530-lux job I can still make out the hotspot on a tree from a known and measured half-mile away...

GrayFox

Newly Enlightened
I took my E2E/MN03 and 5 watters out into the cold this evening. It appears that the MNO3 is the current throw champ amongest my meager collection.

Rats...

--Jerry

Hey, I just noticed, I just became a Flashaholic, cool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think theres a Pelican PM6 LED light due out soon...maybe this is what you're looking for.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a PR head with a R2H HD driven by a DownBoy 700 (thanks Giz!) on top of my L4 body. For a small LED light it is a good thrower. It out throws my E2e / MN03. Though the hotspot is smaller.

Alan Hsu

Enlightened
I was wondering how does Fraen LP in MuLux compare to Mulux-PR in throw if I don't care for side spill?

carmel

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
GrayFox said:
I took my E2E/MN03 and 5 watters out into the cold this evening. It appears that the MNO3 is the current throw champ amongest my meager collection.

Grayfox,

I too have an E2e and L4: the Dorcy Spyder (2 for $27. at Costco) has a much longer throw than the E2e with MN03. It's not up to the Surefire quality of craftsmanship, nor is the beam quality anything to write home about (although it's pretty white), but it throws an awful lot of light a very long way. It's not much larger than the SF lights, and also takes 2 CR123's. Might be worth looking at. . .

jaws