3 Piece Rock Bands

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

What are some of your favorites & who have you seen in concert?

Off the top of my head I'v seen:

Primus
Violent Femmes
fIREHOSE
Meat Puppets

circa '86
Brave Captain from fIREHOSE (saw them several times)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Jr Brown
Reverend Horton Heat
The Police
ZZ Top

First time I heard Rush on a record the guy who introduced me to it says "that's 3 dudes man huh huh huh", I replied "no way dude huh uh huh huh". It was when 'all the worlds a stage' first arrived. We had been smoking bannana peels.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
52907e184f756b6f351f7b87acd7005a.jpg

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Omg I've reported you to Facebook you asked about 3 peice bands yet you didn't mention triumph or rush. !
+

Listed bands I saw live,,
hopefully Facebook doesn't come to my house lol

Would have loved to catch Rush back in the day.

Last edited:

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
True three piece bands that I've seen live (sometimes/usually with added touring musicians)...
A-Ha
The Beastie Boys
Nirvana
Rush
Sleep
Skinny Puppy
Love & Rockets

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
What was it with Porl, or Pearl? He left Easy Cure, yet appears on The Cure's debut album not as a member, then returns to the lineup, leaves again, returns, and finally left.

Not in the power trio list so far, in no particular order:

Dinosaur Jr
Sleater-Kinney
Hüsker Dü
Sugar
Urge Overkill
The Presidents of the United States of America
The Outfield
Nada Surf
Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Buddy Holly and the Crickets
Green Day
Motörhead
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Emerson, Lake & Powell
Concrete Blonde
The Jam
Goo Goo Dolls
Everclear
Silverchair
Sebadoh
Ben Fold's Five

imagine a small New Years Eve gig
I saw Love and Rockets at the Syria Mosque, along with, uh, The Bubblemen, which was very weird. All I can say is I really dug the opening act, The Mighty Lemon Drops, and bought two of their records.

But speaking of a small show, Pgh, 7 October 2000, everyone's bored, and I'm scanning the local music tabloid for a show. I'm the one always suggesting we go listen to someone play, no one ever wants to. I couldn't believe my eyes, Superdrag was playing at the 31st Street Pub. No one believed it. But we went, just in case. It was them, fulfilling their end of a benefit concert that the promoter completely failed to promote. No one was there other than a handful of the bar's regulars, a 4-piece local band that came to see them (Manifold Spendour fwiw), my cousin and a few of our friends. It was like they were playing at your birthday party. I asked John Davis, who was having a beer at the bar after sound check, if I could tape the show, and he said he didn't care. I worked with the sound guy to mic the amps, kick and snare, and it turned out to be the best sounding bootleg (board2minidisc) I ever heard and a really high energy show, which was amazing considering the place was empty. Superdrag is also a power trio, but somehow they sound like more.

Last edited:

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw Love and Rockets at the Syria Mosque, along with, uh, The Bubblemen, which was very weird. All I can say is I really dug the opening act, The Mighty Lemon Drops, and bought two of their records.

Thanks for the video Orbital. They were really awesome live.

Here's the first time my wife and saw them together and it was The Dandy Warhols that opened for them then.

Attachments

• 4E810936-F7F3-4FD2-8754-C3370A6AEE1E.jpeg
    4E810936-F7F3-4FD2-8754-C3370A6AEE1E.jpeg
    284.4 KB · Views: 63