300,000 lumen rotating beacon on Freedom Tower/WTC

M

mega_lumens

Enlightened
I wasn't sure where to post this, but past couple of weeks the Freedom Tower/WTC in NYC has activated its rotating LED beacon on top of its spire. It's very bright and distinguishable. I see it from my window in another borough. I can't seem to find details and photos on the design of this beacon. What LEDs and how many did they use to produce 300,000 lumens? How does the design avoid blinding pilots? The rotation of the beacon is slow. I counted a flash of the beam every 13 seconds. I saw some photos of the mirror optics assembly and it looks very odd, but massive in scale!

http://www.allledlighting.com/author.asp?section_id=560&doc_id=559438

H

Hot Brass

Enlightened
I wasn't sure where to post this, but past couple of weeks the Freedom Tower/WTC in NYC has activated its rotating LED beacon on top of its spire. It's very bright and distinguishable. I see it from my window in another borough. I can't seem to find details and photos on the design of this beacon. What LEDs and how many did they use to produce 300,000 lumens? How does the design avoid blinding pilots? The rotation of the beacon is slow. I counted a flash of the beam every 13 seconds. I saw some photos of the mirror optics assembly and it looks very odd, but massive in scale!

http://www.allledlighting.com/author.asp?section_id=560&doc_id=559438

Hi: I did not see any lux figures.....gotta be up there! HB

I

inetdog

Enlightened
The lux figures depend on where you measure it. Hopefully somewhere that the beam intersects the ground or a building.

R

rice81

Newly Enlightened
Did nobody else see the comment about it costing $1000 per day to run??? Seems to me that at only 50 lumens per watt, for example and $0.10 per KWH running 6 hrs per day would be about $3.60 but perhaps it is being run by the federal government so they allow for some lack of efficiency.

P_A_S_1

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Noticed it for the first time a week or so ago, while going westbound on the LIE, pretty cool. It's like the Fire island Light House on steroids :grin2:.

S

SemiMan

Banned
Did nobody else see the comment about it costing $1000 per day to run??? Seems to me that at only 50 lumens per watt, for example and $0.10 per KWH running 6 hrs per day would be about $3.60 but perhaps it is being run by the federal government so they allow for some lack of efficiency.

The comment was an estimate by the author that was obviously wrong.

Semiman