My SF G2L Survived a 60 Foot Fall to Concrete! (With Pics)

nbp

Flashaholic
This is why I have Surefires:

My folks and I went on a hike in a small state park near my house this afternoon. In the middle of the park there is a huge wooden lookout tower that you can climb to see the lake and surrounding woods and area. We climbed to the top, and immediately it occurred to me that it would be a great time for a bit of a torture test for a flashlight. :devil: I had a G2L and a Ra Twisty 100 with me. There was no way I was trashing a prized and discontinued Twisty, but I had no problem chucking a G2L off the top. It's a Surefire, it'll survive, I was sure. Here's an opportunity to prove why a Surefire is a good investment. And they're not very expensive to rebuild if it breaks, thanks to lego-ability.

Here's the tower. It's 60 feet tall with three platforms evenly spaced that you can stand on and look around.

img0365bm.jpg

I had my choice of surfaces to drop it on: mud, gravel, or the concrete supports at the bottom of the tower. I was sure this light would not care about the mud, and even the gravel seemed like not much of a challenge, so I determined that the concrete would be the only way to go. Go big or go home, right? :naughty:

Here's the concrete block at the bottom.

img0368h.jpg

My parents went to the bottom of the tower to see what would transpire. My first drop was lame as I didn't account for the outward tapering of the tower and it simply fell 20 feet, bounced off a railing, fell 20 more feet and landed on a platform. :thumbsdow I ran down and grabbed it. No problems. I may as well just have dropped it in a pile of feathers. Clearly two 20 foot drops is not enough to frighten a SF.

So I tried again. I leaned out farther and dropped it. This time it fell the full 60 ft and smacked the concrete. The tailcap popped off and batteries flew out and the body/head section skidded the other way. Good thing I had eyes on the ground. :grin2: My mom and dad picked up the cap and batteries and told me the tailcap was cracked. But they put the cells in and screwed the cap back down, and pointed it at me at the top of the tower. "It still works!" they shouted. :thumbsup:

Yup, the cap cracked, and there were a few scuffs on the head, but basically it was fine. I fully believe that if it had fallen on the side of the light or even on an angle instead of squarely on the tail, it would not have cracked and there would be no real damage at all. And despite the crack, the body threads are unscathed and I can still screw it down well enough and the light functions perfectly! I pulled out the P60L and the cells and everything looks great. I will pick up a new tailcap on the MarketPlace, but until then, I intend to keep using this baby. Now it's got a story! That's why they call them Surefires. They are Sure to Fire up. :rock:

Here's a couple pics of the damage and proof that it is still working as intended. :party:

img0370su.jpg

img0369cl.jpg

img0371pq.jpg

img0372ix.jpg

img0374vr.jpg

Last edited:

Danjojo

Newly Enlightened
Re: My SF G2L Survived a 60 Foot Fall to Concrete!

That's a nice long drop, thanks for sharing.

ddac

Newly Enlightened

No vid of the drop?!

nbp

Flashaholic
A camera phone video of it would have been a blurry unintelligible mess. I think the pics tell the story pretty well though. ;)

notinthedark

Newly Enlightened

Well, I suppose that is a test SF will be glad to hear about. I don't think I could do that to one of my lights but now I think my old 6P will be around for awhile longer. I have wondered about the G2 durability. Mine doesn't have a scratch in it after a number of years but it is not my EDC. Thank you for your cool test. Sounds like fun and would have been neat to try a few lights up top of the tower after sunset for some beam shots.

Last edited:

ddac

Newly Enlightened
A camera phone video of it would have been a blurry unintelligible mess. I think the pics tell the story pretty well though. ;)
Yes. But the sound of it landing would be awesome!

nbp

Flashaholic
You're welcome n.i.t.d. :)

It's definitely a durable light. If there is Any weakness in the design it is the Nitrolon tailcap it seems. Put an Aluminum Z41 on it and I really don't see how you could kill it.

I suppose I could send the story to SF. I'm not looking for free parts or anything as I did it on purpose, and I don't think even their great warranty covers stupidity, but they may get a kick out of reading it. :eek:oo:

dougie

Enlightened
Great story, but I can't see me doing it to any of my Surefires as Surefire lights are premium brand over here in the UK and getting spares a real pain in the a**e. Still, it is good to know they can take that sort of a beating..:)

nbp

Flashaholic
Well, I emailed my story to SF. I am eager to see what they say. Probably something like "Who's dumb enough to throw their flashlight off a 60 foot tower anyways?" :hahaha:

herosemblem

Enlightened
They'd probably say " Let's not set a precedent where we support customers' destructive experiments by replacing the parts for free."
:)
That being said, I have a g3l, a g2, a g2l, two g2xp's, and a 6pxp. Point is, they are a fairly good design.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow nice!

Pics of the lens please! Any damage?

I've got an all-nitrolon G2 that I occasionally use at work, and I have wondered how it would hold up to a long fall onto the concrete floor in my building.

Don't think I'll try it since the price on G2s has gone up!

nbp

Flashaholic
They'd probably say " Let's not set a precedent where we support customers' destructive experiments by replacing the parts for free."
:)
That being said, I have a g3l, a g2, a g2l, two g2xp's, and a 6pxp. Point is, they are a fairly good design.

I didn't ask for any free parts in my email. I just told them I wanted to share a cool story. Not that I'd turn down free parts.... ;)

Nice test buddy. Just shows how good Surefire lights can be.

Thanks Steven, glad you liked it. They are pretty solid lights, indeed.

Wow nice!

Pics of the lens please! Any damage?

I've got an all-nitrolon G2 that I occasionally use at work, and I have wondered how it would hold up to a long fall onto the concrete floor in my building.

Don't think I'll try it since the price on G2s has gone up!

No damage whatsoever to the lens. Like I said, it dropped straight down on the tail. I dropped it tail first figuring it would spin due to the heavier head and I was hoping it would land on its side. It didn't. :shrug: So the head took no damage other than ano scuffing. Maybe I need to repeate the test and try to get it to land on different parts of the light. :rolleyes:

nbp

Flashaholic
Monocrom said:
I knew it would survive too. :twothumbs

But actually tossing it off is just too much fun to pass up. :party:

Wonder what else I could drop off that thing? :thinking:

Today I put a little strip of duct tape around the tailcap to make sure it didn't wiggle too much and used the light to work on my car. Soooo, yeah. No problems. :)

Acid87

Enlightened
nbp said:
But actually tossing it off is just too much fun to pass up. :party:

Wonder what else I could drop off that thing? :thinking:

Today I put a little strip of duct tape around the tailcap to make sure it didn't wiggle too much and used the light to work on my car. Soooo, yeah. No problems. :)

I bet it looks pretty awesome. A bit of character I suppose?