3D, 4D,maglites, terralux diamond led

realitycheck

Newly Enlightened
Alright guys I know this is probably old knowledge but I have some questions. I looked at maglites website and it shows that the 4d maglite average lumens is 122, and the 3d is 76 lumens. I was told by the man at terralux.biz, that the 4d only stays at this 122 average lumens, for about 15 minutes then drops to about half that brightness which would be around 61 for about an hour, then continues dropping from there. So I am looking at the terralux diamond 3w led conversion. I just want a really bright flashlight. I am a newb at this, so I guess my question, is this information i have stated true, at least close to true??? What happens if you run the terralux led in a 4d maglite????? Is it worth the money to use this 3d maglite with the terralux led, compared to the 4d maglite???

I know this is alot of questions and i apologize im just trying to get a really bright flashlight for my money. Im really pleased with how bright my 4d is but if it starts dropping off just like that guy says then its not worth it to keep putting batteries in it. Thanks for your help in advance, realitycheck

dougmccoy

Enlightened
The Diamond 3 Watt LED for the 3 C or D Maglites is a great performer. The throw will surprise you but is rather lacking in sidespill for a utility light in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, the Diamond does have some sidespill but is more of a thrower than anything else.

You will be surprised by the length of time this module will remain lit but do remember that it doesn't stay at 100% brightness for very long. However, where it shines (please excuse the pun?) is how long it keeps going at around the 50% mark. All in all a very worth while dropin.

Doug

realitycheck

Newly Enlightened
So do you think its worth getting rid of the 4d, and swapping to the 3d with this conversion??
Will I be just as happy with it as the 4d? I know it wont be as bright as the 4d but is it bright enough??? I guess is what im asking.

LED BriCK

Enlightened
realitycheck said:
So do you think its worth getting rid of the 4d, and swapping to the 3d with this conversion??
Will I be just as happy with it as the 4d? I know it wont be as bright as the 4d but is it bright enough??? I guess is what im asking.

Yes, IMHO. Check this out: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/diamond_magbulbs3w.htm

Whether M/\g (why does no one spell that word, BTW?) will beat it with their upcoming LEDs remains to be seen. I don't think you need to get rid of the 4D, either. You can run the Diamond DB-3W in the 4D if you use a 3 D's and dummy cell.

realitycheck

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I read that review, thanks for your help. What happens if you put it in the 4D mag???

VWTim

Enlightened
In my single Lux3 3D mag I've been using a LDF lens from flashlightlens.com The diffusion film really helped to smooth out the light and give more sidespill. For me if I need to reach out and touch someone I use my Mag85, the LED is a utility/car light for me.

realitycheck

Newly Enlightened
Is the information I first put on here at the top about the 3d and 4d statistics true?