3D printed 18650 Battery Holster/carrier

richardhill5

Newly Enlightened
Since 3D printers are becoming more common, and owning one myself, I was surprised at all the useless stuff you can download and print. Given that I purchased my printer for the sole purpose of designing flashlight holsters and more importantly a 18650 battery holster/carrier. Because a flashlight is useless with dead batteries. Yes I did get side tracked and also have printer a mountain of junk (cool junk) I thought it was time to get back to the task at hand. After designing the carrier it was off to get quotes for injection molding. WOW.. 7k to 10k just for the mold. That's where my project ended.

Then I started thinking, why cant they be 3D printed? Will it be strong enough? Will it last? I tweaked the design over and over until I was happy with the finished product. Behold the 18650 Battery holster. It carries 2 x 18650 batteries secured by a stainless spring steel internal spring to stop any movement from the batteries and secure them in place. Let me know what you think. This was designed for my duty belt, as pictured. Richard

h1.jpg

h4.jpg

h2.jpg

h5.jpg

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do you remove the batteries if they sit so deep down where your fingers can't get a good grip on them?

Norm

Retired Administrator
Seeing you're a local Richard I'll be keeping an eye out for other great ideas from you :), I unfortunately don't have need to carry 18650s.

Norm

archimedes

Flashaholic
Not sure where that metal spring sits, but best to ensure no possibility of it shorting out either of those big batteries ... :eek: :poof:

richardhill5

Newly Enlightened
Not sure where that metal spring sits, but best to ensure no possibility of it shorting out either of those big batteries ... :eek: :poof:

The spring puts minimal pressure on the side of the battery. Each battery has its own spring which is about 3cm in length, there is absolute no possible way they can short out. :)

richardhill5

Newly Enlightened
The cost of the material itself is probably less then you would imagine. The ABS plastic is around the $30 a kg mark. I'm not at home at moment so I can't weigh it. At rough guess I would say about $1.50 in plastic. Plus in this case the two spring steel springs which at this stage I steal from a micro switch which cost me $4.50 each then plus 7 hrs of electricity. So my guess about $10.

How much does it cost to 3D print something like that?

BillSWPA

Enlightened
Nicely done. Very often, the value of a piece of gear is determined at least as much by how easily it can be carried than by the qualities of the gear itself.

One question: since it is open on top, are there potential problems if the batteries get wet?

richardhill5

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm, I am unsure. I could not imagine water would be good for them. But I guess it's just like all other equipment carried on a belt, providing its not submerged in water it should be ok. I don't know of anyone who likes standing in the rain, however accidents do happen and sometimes you are caught unaware. I'll follow that up with my battery supplier.. I initially started designing a carrier with a fold back lid, but moved away from that because I was not 100% happy with the durability. Because lids are normally the first thing to break. Maybe I could make a rubber bung to push into the top... not sure.

Nicely done. Very often, the value of a piece of gear is determined at least as much by how easily it can be carried than by the qualities of the gear itself.

One question: since it is open on top, are there potential problems if the batteries get wet?

richardhill5

Newly Enlightened
Hmmmm trying to work out a finish texture and or logo inverted painted or extruded / left black. The one on the far right is raw, straight from the printer. The one on the middle was hit with a sandblaster and then polished and the left one, all by hand, sanded and polished and the inverted areas painted. Thoughts???

h6.jpeg

h7.jpeg