3D quad bored host questions...

Delvance

Enlightened
Hey all,

I'm about to get my hands on a quad bored 3D [email protected] already have a 2D ROP and think it is a fantastic light, but alas...the lumen bug has bit again.

I know the M@g85 is brighter than the ROP, but by how much in real life ? The 1185 bulb overdriven is ~1300 bulb lumens, whilst the ROP overdriven is ~1150 bulb lumens. Is there a significant difference in using the two ? I've got most parts to build a 2nd ROP but will need to spend a bit of dollars to get parts for a M@g85, would the increase be worth it ?

When i got the quad bored host, i was going to drop in 4 18650's in 2 series 2 parallel and run the ROP HOLA, but after further thinking, how about 2 stacks of 3x18500's in parallel to drive a 1185. Under load, it should give 10.8V just like a 9aa M@g85, but i'm worried the initial voltage flashing the bulb.

What would you build if you had a quad bored 3D M@g ? The tailcap has been bored too so the spring sits further down for more room. I'd like to stick to the stock switch for the meanwhile until i get bitten again :laughing: (i have no problems with modding the switch though)

mdocod

Flashaholic
I'll tell ya what i am planning to do with my old 3dmag.

find AA NIMH high drain rate cells that can fit 4xAccross without boring
12AA - 3D Modamag-might do the hgh current mod, might not need to.
Kiu High temp bi-pin
switch resistance mod
Lensed MR16 35W or 50W from Bulbs.com

The bulb will be overdriven a bit if i can get cells that can handle the current well enough...

Delvance

Enlightened
Very nice mdocod :) . I would be all over a massive output M@g too, but after building my ROP 2D, i've come to realised firestarting 10 minute runtime torches aren't for me...so i'm trying to turn this quad bored 3D M@g into something with at least 40 minutes...~1hour preferable... bright light. Hence the initial idea of the ROP high and 4x18650.

Maybe i will build a firestarter one day :rock: , but atm, i'd rather spend my money on torches i can use in a wider variety of tasks. To me, a balance of runtime/brightness is king.

pertinax

Enlightened
Here's my scheme, as I too need longer run-time:

MM 12AA-3D adapter kit
Bored Mag 3D
12 NiMH cells
ROP HO bulb
Lens and reflector of course

I plan to modify the battery carrier to be series/parallel, giving 7.2 V but with double the run-time of a usual 6-cell ROP. Cutting the current demands on the cells in half should allow one to get full usage out of high-capacity cells (like 2600s).

Incidentally, my 9-cell Mag85 is a good bit brighter than my 6-cell ROP. It's a big step up in total output.

Beyond that, I'd like the PIR-1 regulator in a bored 4D light, running 16 AAs and an 1185 bulb. That would be big, but have a nice long run time. Throw in those Eneloop batteries, and finally there will be a trouble free hotwire mod, that's ready for non-hobbyist use.

Pertinax

sidpost

Newly Enlightened
pertinax said:
Incidentally, my 9-cell Mag85 is a good bit brighter than my 6-cell ROP. It's a big step up in total output.

Pertinax

Please tell me more about your Mag85. What is it like to use? How did you build it? Where did you get the parts?

Thanks!

litho123

Enlightened
Hi Delvance -

You have an excellent size for modding. Fivemega's quad-bored lights are very versatile.

RE: wanting runtime of 40 or more minutes, the 1331 run off the same battery platform (10.8v or 11.1v) but will deliver an hour or more of runtime.

Specs...
9.6v ... 1.93a ... 806 bulb lumens @ 10.8v

Another good bulb option is the 1166 bulb which runs off of 10 High-current nimh or 11 rested cells plus dumdum AA's in a 12AA holder.
Specs...
11.6v ... 1.97a ... 914 + bulb lumens @ 12.5v

You can pick some up here...
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/104895
or at Light-edge.com

pertinax

Enlightened
Sidpost,

It's just a normal Mag85-- LOP reflector, Fivemega's 9AA battery pack, coated lens, Fivemega bipin holder, bipin 1185 bulb.

I frosted the bulb, but otherwise, it's pretty normal. Very bright, and very useful.

Delvance

Enlightened
Thanks for the great replies Litho123 and Pertinaxm,

I think i might currently stick with the 4x18650's and a ROP hola. Should give over 40 minutes runtime easy and i already have the parts lying around, it being PR based is a bonus as i don't have any bipin sockets atm.

Also decided to build a 3D M@g85, in the true CPF way :laughing: (just get both!). If i stick in 9x2500mAh's, what runtime should i see, quick and dirty calculations say ~45 mins, but realworld ? Does a LOP go nicely with an 85 ? Thanks!

HammerSandwich

Newly Enlightened
When you get the ROP running with 4x18650s, please post your runtimes with both HOLA and LOLA.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
A LOP does in fact do nicely with an 1185.

BUT! A ROP HI bulb in a SMO reflector on 7aa has a brighter spot though with artifacts.
The 7aa in this case are Rayovac 1800. And they seem to get pretty well drained quick by the ROP HI.... After less than a minute, they went from 9.13V unloaded to 8.80.

At the end of the 7AA test the amp draw was 3.76. I've seen 4.13 with two unprotected 18650...

I bet the 2x6 (12AA) solution will be a good one!!! Ditto the 4x18650 solution!!!