4 Sevens (Lithium Primary) Moonlight Runtime Test

Zendude

Enlightened
Impressive!

If they make that little sucker in Ti I just might bite.

Funny thing is I was telling Kaichu not too long ago that I had no interest in AAA lights anymore.:shakehead (I think the lower than expected runtime of my MiNi AA might have something to do with it.)

scout24

Flashaholic
+/- 82 hrs. at constant brightness??? :bow: WOW... Makes me want another, or wait for the EO1 killer...:) Very impressive.

Darvis

Enlightened
Both Quarks at 96 hours (4 days continuous) with no changes to report.

I'll probably start to space these updates out @ 5 days between since I know these two will run long. Next Update at 10 days continuous unless there is a change to report

Darvis

Enlightened
+/- 82 hrs. at constant brightness??? :bow: WOW... Makes me want another, or wait for the EO1 killer...:) Very impressive.

In my opinion, this is the E01 killer. Take everything about this light, style, emitter, everything and just lose the modes. On/off w/one level that's it... bam! I wish I could program out the other modes on this puppy.

You want to go sub lumen? Even better!!! I mean, this thing already kills it at 82 hours, so tweak it to half a lumen of output and hit the magic 100+ hour mark. I'm not sure what runtime voodoo is at work at work here, but dang!!!

I love the whole bezel of this light, the open 5mm led of lights of old just don't cut it anymore IMHO... I love the beam pattern on this and it just looks brighter than a blue-ish 5mm led.

And stainless? Super excellent...

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Darvis- First things first- twenty minutes ago was 96hrs. with the 1x123 Quark, and 243 with the Matty on D cell... Matty is dimming, down to maybe 5-6 lumens. Still plugging along. I agree that the Revo is great, I'd love the low currently to be the high. .02 moonlight as a low would be ok, maybe one level below that?:) Just being greedy now, I know. 80+ at constant brightness is amazing, maybe that .02 is hiding in there somewhere... I agree that posting daily may be silly, I'll just check in time to time as well.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool Darvis! I took my SS ReVO with me on vacation. I started a runtime on low with it 1am on 9/13 with a AAA Duraloop. Well it lasted at least until 1am 9/14 as I was up then, butit rolled off the bed sometime last evening and with the loose threads it turned enough to turn itself off. I forgot about the light and the test until 1pm today and when I checked and found it under the bed not on I was disappointed. It never got dim even after I turned it back on. I checked the battery and it was still at 1.28v so it barely made a dent in it at the 24-36 hr mark. I was going to just start it back up but since I don't know when it turned off I didn't want an inaccurate test, so I fired up new new test starting at 1pm today with a freshly charged Duraloop. Hopefully the test will be completed before Friday evening when I head to LAX as I don't want to explain why I have a lit flashlight in my bag or on my person. It should be plenty of time since it would b2 72 hrs at 1pm Friday and it would be at 80 hrs right around the time I board the plane and I doubt it would last that long seeing it is a NiMH Duraloop and not a lithium that you used.

And now for the next installment of: "I'm going to watch the grass grow over the next few (many) weeks and see what time will tell us."

Here's my latest test... At 2pm ET today, I fired up 2 tactical UI XP-E R2 Quarks and for extra added kicks: a AAA ReVo (no real moonlight mode on this one)

One of the Quarks is a single AA, the other, a 2xAA.

Update: And now, a 1x123 courtesy of Scout24 running on a Surefire primary. Thanks Scout!! :bow:

The AA and AAA lights are running on Energizer lithium primaries (L91 Ultimates).

Why lithium primaries you ask?

Here's my rationale. After the last test, it became clear to me that the practical runtimes of these lights are far beyond most (repeat, most) anyone's needs.

We already know that a single alkaleak will get you close to 475 hours in moonlight, and covers most everyone's likely scenario: Storm= power out= I need a light, oh, here's what half used alkaline bulk pack I have in the junk drawer.

The rest of us most likely use the NiMh chemistry for EDC needs and we also know that they can do ~300 hrs.

(See those results here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/288379)

That leaves (and thus forms the basis of this test) the survivalist, the serious distance hiker and the rest of us BOB fanatics looking for long term, stable storage combined with lightweight and super stored energy in a primary: enter the lithiums

Yes, the SAFT primaries look mighty exciting, but they are ~5 bucks each and are not exactly available at you local super market or camping/hiking store

As with the last test (and based on how long that one went) I'll check the lights @ roughly 12 hour intervals and make updates here ~every 24 hours as I expect this to be a long one at the tail end when that 2xAA just keeps going and going.

I'll also update if anything changes...

Hope you enjoy this one as well folks, I'll get some pictures up later.

As with the last test, I also wanted to note (based on the recent banner warning against shilling) that I am running these tests for my own knowledge and to share with others in this forum. These were lights purchased with my own money for my personal use and I am in no way endorsing ANY brand of light, battery, accessory or dealer. Any of my opinions in this thread are my own, and you, as a reader, are free to form your own conclusions about the data presented here.

Regards,
Darvis

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Results
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Preon ReVo 1xAAA (Energizer Ultimate Lithium Primary) ~82 hours continuous to off

Quark 1xAA (Energizer Ultimate Lithium Primary)

Quark 2xAA (Energizer Ultimate Lithium Primaries)

Quark 1x123 (Surefire Primary)

Matterhorn D cell

Darvis

Enlightened
Beacon, most appreciated!!

I was going to run a duraloop test myself, but have just not had the time.

Let me know your results and I'll get them in the OP when you have them

D

Darvis

Enlightened
Guess I'm lucky to be a cool white loving dude. Just can't "warm" up to the warms and neutrals myself. I tried, but ugh!!! Hideous to my eyes for some reason. Yes... I get the color rendition thing. Richer browns, beautiful reds and shades of love...

Not me man. I want icy white brightness and the ReVo is mighty delicious!

The warms just remind me of dying incans for some reason, bad memeories of old 2D metal lights... I actually had a warm Quark that I gave to my Brother and he rejected it saying: "I got ripped off because the light was pink."

LOL!!!! I guess the hate of warms is hereditary.

Well, it WOULD be, if it came in Neutral-white tint !

:whistle:
_

Last edited:

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 billion!!!

I tried to like the Zebralight H31w but like you said the warm tint reminds me of incandescents from the 1970s, which ironically enough was the reason for LEDs in the first place a whiter white taking us out of the stone ages. It always seems like I had to squint to see anything with the warm color causing eye strain. A pure white white is where it's at.

Guess I'm lucky to be a cool white loving dude. Just can't "warm" up to the warms and neutrals myself. I tried, but ugh!!! Hideous to my eyes for some reason. Yes... I get the color rendition thing. Richer browns, beautiful reds and shades of love...

Not me man. I want icy white brightness and the ReVo is mighty delicious!

The warms just remind me of dying incans for some reason, bad memeories of old 2D metal lights... I actually had a warm Quark that I gave to my Brother and he rejected it saying: "I got ripped off because the light was pink."

LOL!!!! I guess the hate of warms is hereditary.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just an update on the ReVO SS running a Duraloop AAA:

At 7:30am @ 42.5 hours there is no difference to speak of. I will take a beamshot pic after this test is over to show the brightness should be the same due to the regulation of the light. Do we know if this light falls out of regulation at some point or does it just turn off? I guess I will find out soon enough barring some kind of mishap.

Here are the 2 beamshots:

14wsg74.jpg

2quoi6r.jpg

Stay tuned for the conclusion of this runtime test on low. Hope we break the advertised specs for low.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
At 9am it was off so I will call it at 8:30am or 43.5 hours. Still impressive as it is among the highest AAA runtimes I have tested. I turned the light off and back on and it would not light. Popped the Duraloop into the Lacross for a second or two to get the voltage and it was .88v then hit .89v and I took it out. Popped it back in the ReVO to see how it dims. It was sort of regulated initially but it dimmed gradually and in about 30 seconds it dimmed to off gradually. So for the runtime threads purpose the runtime for the ReVo is: 43.5 hours @ .89v

Darvis

Enlightened
At 9am it was off so I will call it at 8:30am or 43.5 hours. Still impressive as it is among the highest AAA runtimes I have tested. I turned the light off and back on and it would not light. Popped the Duraloop into the Lacross for a second or two to get the voltage and it was .88v then hit .89v and I took it out. Popped it back in the ReVO to see how it dims. It was sort of regulated initially but it dimmed gradually and in about 30 seconds it dimmed to off gradually. So for the runtime threads purpose the runtime for the ReVo is: 43.5 hours @ .89v

Nicely done Beacon!!! Right in line with what we've been seeing with the other lights when it's primary vs NiMh.

I thought this one sort of shut off since mine was on then off a couple of hour later, so I think folks can expect a sort of abbreviated warning with this light before it's time to change batteries (quick dim or flickering then off).

scout24

Flashaholic
Okay- 168hrs. with the 1x123 SF Primary Quark. Still doing great... 315 with the 1D Matterhorn for those interested, still brighter than the Moonlight low of the Quark, but not by a heck of a lot. Definitely a bunch more in a dark room, though. About halfway between the moonlight and "low" level on the quark. Since this started as bright as it did, I'm not terribly suprised it is fading. 336hrs. will be two weeks of constant on, not too shabby. Quark is at 1/3 of rated time...:tired: On another note, got my Valiant 1xAA body today, Arc AAA, Eiger, Matty and Sapphires all fit...:)

scout24

Flashaholic
This thread needed to be back on the first page... :) 10:15 this morning, 254 hours on the 1x123, 401 hrs with the 1D Matty. Photo with Ti 1xAA as Control, also on moonmode.

P1010300.jpg

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it just your camera/my monitor, or are all those LEDs turquoise?