4000+ Lumen Test & BridgeLux LED Review

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: .·´¯`·-> !! 4000+ Lumen Test & BridgeLux LED Review!! <-·´¯`·.

if you had a half elliptical reflector with the emitter at one focal point, would you put the lens at the other focal point or would you match the lens' focal point to the reflector's other focal point?

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast

if you had a half elliptical reflector with the emitter at one focal point, would you put the lens at the other focal point or would you match the lens' focal point to the reflector's other focal point?

If I'm thinking straight, you'd colocate the focal points to focus at infinity (i.e., maximum throw). But you'd probably offset the lens a little axially to defocus it for a broader beam, and most importantly to eliminate any dark gridding from the separate dies.

clint357

Newly Enlightened

Who knows where you can buy some generic lenses? I want to get some convex, concave, .ect and I was wondering if hobby lobby or radio shack carries stuff like that.

SQ40

Newly Enlightened

Would it be possible to Modify an existing LCD Data Projector Bulb Housing to use one of these bad boys?

bozola

Newly Enlightened

A wallflower chimes in:

On a whim based on Nessus's review, I decided to get a couple of the BXRA-C0800 to play around with.

Couldn't be as annoying as my HIDs. Naaah. Bright but not much worse than that...after all I am an experienced HID guy - nothing can surprise me.

So they came today. I rip open the box and drag everything down the the lab. Grease one to a huge chunk of cold iron I've got laying about and power it up.

Fiat lux, baby.

The thing's bright.

The thing's stupidly bright.

The bloody thing's so stupidly bright birds flying by outside burst into flames and pilots overhead report a nuclear detonation. Maybe I exaggerate, but the damn thing's bright.

HIDs just lost their appeal. Another LED evangelist is born.

Thanks, Nessus!

SQ40

Newly Enlightened

don't see why not...but the collimation's gonna be...:sick:

Hmm.. Wonder how I can make this work.. What If I use the built in Reflector of the existing bulb?

I realize that we are focusing the bulb through the aperture on the LCD.. so a tight beam is ideal, right? Or am i going to get one big hot-spot?

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm a bit dissapointed at how quickly interest seems to have died regarding these emitters.

I recently ordered a couple of the smaller 400 lumen Bridgelux; a warm-white and neutral-white for testing with some fixed lighting projects. Shipping with standard (cheap) US Postal took 2 1/2 days to the midwest.

Neutral-White emitter was perfectly neutral with zero tint, and matches my neutral-white Crees at the same 4000k color temp.

Warm-White was a gorgeous color, and again matched my best warm-white Crees. Reason I say 'best' is I have a variety of warm-white Crees and they all tend to vary in terms of minor tints, with the worst having too much green/yellow in them. Obviously unless you can get a specific bin-tint for Cree this is what happens. The warm-white bridgelux however was perfection.

So, for $18 I get a quickly shipped (U.S.A) 400 lumen emitter on an industrial grade star without having to screw around with guessing bin-tints or if it was the 'B' shift on the Asian soldering line. Me like.... lots.

I'm not a flashlight guy, but I played around with a couple large reflectors scavanged from dead incan flashlights and the lot, and with some finagling they produced a decent 20degree or so beam.

Rexlion

Enlightened

Who knows where you can buy some generic lenses? I want to get some convex, concave, .ect and I was wondering if hobby lobby or radio shack carries stuff like that.
surplusShed.com has a great variety of lenses at budget prices. Maybe something suitable there.

aljsk8

Enlightened

id like to see the photos on the first post but i cant see them on IE7 or FIREFOX

can anyone help?

clint357

Newly Enlightened

What is the maximum current you can give the 25 die unit and still expect to get your 50,000 hrs out of it? I think I'm about to put a couple of these in my offroad light enclosures and drive them with CCHIPOs.

Cheapskate

Enlightened

id like to see the photos on the first post but i cant see them on IE7 or FIREFOX

can anyone help?

From the tone of the Op's later posts, it would not be unreasonable to assume he took his ball (the pics) home with him in a huff.

BeachBoy

Newly Enlightened

so, anyone found an optic that could get a tight beam out of these?

jtr1962

Flashaholic

From the tone of the Op's later posts, it would not be unreasonable to assume he took his ball (the pics) home with him in a huff.
The pics show up for me. I suspect there may have been a temporary glitch with the picture hosting site.

dharmaone

Newly Enlightened

What's the CRI on these puppies? could they be used as photography or video lights?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am impressed at the sheer light output, but cooling these adequately is going to be a challenge.

I was thinking about what it would take to mount a 1200lu assembly as a fixed lighting system. 16 volts from their datasheet, plus 1.4 amps, is going to generate 22+ watts of heat. That's gonna require a pretty big slab of metal for passive cooling.

As a video light, you could do that, but you'd need a fairly big heatsink on the back of your light, and you might not want to run continuously at max power. PWM dimming would help.

dharmaone

Newly Enlightened

cool. Heatsink shouldnt be a problem. PWM dimming is something i only learned about recently - are there some ready modules for this?

Also for video I think having small high power point lights isn't ideal - I've been looking into ways of distributing the light.

Some innovative stuff I've come across for this are 3M Light Pipes and light distribution film

https://www.inventables.com/technologies/light-distribution-film

LightPipe1.jpg

basically i want to turn the bright point lights into a large area light - which will create more even light and soft shadows. I think a box with the leds in it, reflecting mylar on the other side (inside) and transmissive light distribution film on the other side would be ideal. Even light fibre that emits light to the sides like this could work.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...Applications/InteriorEnvironments/LightFiber/

I don't know what these products are called and where to get them though.. Any ideas?

snarfer

Enlightened

You can order 3M stuff through Digikey.

Just google "side emitting light fiber" for lots of other vendors. Here are a couple that looked interesting:

http://www.fiberoptix.com/products/largecore.html
http://www.meshtel.com/glow.htm

from the Bridgelux press release:

The arrays are rated at 400, 800 and 1200 lumens for warm white (3000K and CRI = 82), neutral white (4100K and CRI = 80) and cool white (5600K, CRI = 65). There is also a 2000-lumen part in cool white.

Pretty low CRI overall. Not good enough for professional film/video/photography.

NeSSuS-GTE

Newly Enlightened

Such a waste of time and energy that would be.

Optic-wise, I did discover that the 3-up Endor Star optic fits quite precisely on the 6-die emitter. That was a nice surprise. But that optic is still VERY wide and only helps control flood. It does much improve its usability, though.

I am anxious to find some other optic candidates. My eyes are peeled. :huh: