4D ROP with never before seen battery pack...

missionaryman

Enlightened
I recently did an exchange with a guy at work, I took his old table saw and in exchange modified his old beat up 4D Mag. Here's the results:

4D ROP, 60 minutes running on high
UCL lens
LOP cammed reflector
Switch resistance fix
Tailspring resistance fix
6 1/2D 4000mah stick pack
3854 High with low in the spare

Brighter than my 2C LE & my 6C Vintage ROP

You can see the spacer between the 5th & 6th cell
IMG_0969.jpg

Left: 2C LE, Middle: 5D to 6C vintage, Right: 4D to 6 1/2D
IMG_0965.jpg

Far right 4D beam is about 10% brighter than 2C and about 20% brighter than the resistance ridden vintage - this was before switch & tailspring fixing
IMG_0976.jpg

Last edited:

missionaryman

Enlightened
running it for under 2 minutes I melted the solder off the base ad side of the 3854H, the other 2 in the pics can run for 30 & 60 minutes without that happening.

Is this because too much voltage is getting to the bulb or there is too much resistance in the switch spring making it get hot enough to melt the bulb?

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have melted two 3854s. Both had switch fixes to include by passing all friction contacts and springs in the socket with jumpers. One light was 6D NiMh and the other was two 4x AA holders using Lithum 14500s, 2800 mAh total. Both were extended runs like yours. I just resoldered the bulb wires with a high temperature solder. One was a run time test on the Li and that even damaged the plating on the reflector. Both lights were so wired as to eliminate all the internal resistance problem areas so the circuit delivered the max volts at the bulb. One way to check up on things is to take the voltage at the bulb to see what you are delivering. I do not use the ROP highs any more, went to 1111 and 5761 for 7.2 volt applications.

Last edited:

missionaryman

Enlightened
waiting for the LiIon C's for the 5761, I think I'll unconvert my 2C LE ROP back to stock for KIUing and 5761ing.

I re-soldered the bulb and unfixed the switch so it should be more reliable now