4Sevens Maelstrom X10 (XM-L, 26650) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS and more!

Bwolcott

Enlightened
Thanks for the reply. Do you find the interface inconvenient for general non tactical use ? Is there any thing else made that matches the X10 in output for it's size ?

Bruce

Yea i don't really like the interface much

RBH

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Bwolcott

I'm still very tempted by the X10, but since my WP6 II doesn't do the 26650, I'll probably pass. I have two new Eagletac 18650's laying around, and the Nitecore EC2 looks like a rocket that might actually fit in my pocket. To me, the 26650 battery looks looks like the future platform for a lot of new innovative lights.

Bruce

Yea i don't really like the interface much

Bwolcott

Enlightened
Thanks Bwolcott

I'm still very tempted by the X10, but since my WP6 II doesn't do the 26650, I'll probably pass. I have two new Eagletac 18650's laying around, and the Nitecore EC2 looks like a rocket that might actually fit in my pocket. To me, the 26650 battery looks looks like the future platform for a lot of new innovative lights.

Bruce

I think your right about the 26650 a bunch of people have been getting into them lately, I have an ec1 and it does put out a long beam for its tiny size make sure you lock it out though if you leave your battery in it because the red led blinking will kill your battery

RBH

Newly Enlightened
That's not good.

I have an ec1 and it does put out a long beam for its tiny size make sure you lock it out though if you leave your battery in it because the red led blinking will kill your battery

jamesmyname

Newly Enlightened
I've had it for a week now and I'm really liking it. Great throw and brightness for such a small size.

My only gripe is that I can't seem to get the tailcap operation smooth enough. I've tried lubricating the O-ring and threads with Super Lube synthetic grease, but it seems to actually freeze up the operation. I've tried barely any, a whole lot, and somewhere in between (wiping everything clean in between tries). Am I using the right kind of lubrication?

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had it for a week now and I'm really liking it. Great throw and brightness for such a small size.

My only gripe is that I can't seem to get the tailcap operation smooth enough. I've tried lubricating the O-ring and threads with Super Lube synthetic grease, but it seems to actually freeze up the operation. I've tried barely any, a whole lot, and somewhere in between (wiping everything clean in between tries). Am I using the right kind of lubrication?

See my post No 65.

Fear not, all you need to do is to install a different oring that is a little thinner. Then you find it incredibly easy to activate your X10. Also you will need to put on more lube for buttery smoothness. If you would like more lux and lumens, then mod with a U2 :)

jamesmyname

Newly Enlightened
See my post No 65.

Well I just got back from my neighborhood hardware store and they had a similarly sized O-ring, but slightly thinner. That did the trick.

This may or may not be common knowledge, but I found an easy way to remove the O-rings (I initially tried to use a knife to delicately remove it, but that damaged it - duh). Just use your thumb and index finger to grab either side of it and push perpendicular to the length of the light. This will cause the ring to bump out and you can easily grab and remove it.

Anyway, now it's very easy to activate one-handed. The UI is much easier to tolerate this way. Think of it as a head-twisty but on the tailcap. You can activate it one-handed in an overhand grip just like you would activate a head-twisty in an underhand grip.

Southpaw1925

Newly Enlightened
Just ordered via goinggear and I'm excited! I've had my eye on this for a long time but wanted a light that would fit in a more of an EDC role, hence my ZL SC600. Love love love the Sc600. Obviously it will not replace my EDC but this will be more of a secondary/outdoor light that I will be keeping in my pack.

What I liked about it was the wide beam, decent spill, throw and the enormous output. 770lumens @ 24k lux? For a light that's barely 5.5 inches? Ridiculous ! I have a couple of protected 18650s so for now ill be using those until i get the 4sevens 26650 battery and charger. And for only $56? It's a steal. Get it while you can!

The x10 is definitely a great complement to my sc600. If anything it's almost the sc600 on steroids.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
4Sevens makes the green and blue jacket cells. The green cells are better.

Onearmed.Larry

Newly Enlightened
When I ordered by X10 from Going Gear a week ago they did not have 26650's in stock. They picture and description show the green batteries described as 3900mah.

As a long time lurker who up until now only owned bubble packaged lights I wanted everything NOW.

I ordered batteries from 4sevens-store.com which list their 26650's the same as Going Gear for $1.50 cheaper (no code).

What I received are green batteries labeled 4000mah.

Back to lurking!

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why do so many manufacturers install O-rings which make it difficult to operate their lights? At least half of the many lights I own have oversized O-rings. I had to remove the one on the X10. The upside is the action is very smooth on my light and I like the 26650 format. I like the light enough to buy one as a gift. Does anyone know if the $50 deal is still available anywhere?

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why do so many manufacturers install O-rings which make it difficult to operate their lights? At least half of the many lights I own have oversized O-rings. I had to remove the one on the X10. The upside is the action is very smooth on my light and I like the 26650 format. I like the light enough to buy one as a gift. Does anyone know if the $50 deal is still available anywhere?

Yep - going gear.com still has them at $50 with their discount code.

Southpaw1925

Newly Enlightened
My x10 came dead on arrival!!

Received my x10 from goinggear a few days ago and received the 26650 battery and charger from foursevens a few hours ago. Charged the battery til it turned green and put it in the light. Screwed it all the way tight and nothing happened. Fiddled with it for a while and nothing!!

I thought it was maybe the battery/charger so I charged an 18650 and the battery worked fine after it was finished charging. Heard the x10 can use 18650s and even that doesn't work.

What should I do now?!?!

hnupek

Newly Enlightened
guys, did you find any red filter that would fit Maelstrom x10 / MMU-X ? :thinking: