4Sevens Maelstrom X7 (XM-L, 2xCR123A/1x18650) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS and more!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Selfbuilt, from the graphs it looks like the X7 doesn't have the regulated drop off after ~3mins like the smaller lights using XM-L emitters. Does the larger head dissipate heat enough to maintain full output of the emitter over extended runtimes?
Thanks.
It may very well now - I don't know. I tested an early release version of this light. Over time, I have noticed that foursevens has added that step-down feature to many of their lights. The X7 may not need it, as it is not particularly heavily-driven. Check with them to see if it currently comes with that feature.

Last edited:

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to see the X-7 compared to the Eagletac G25 series since they appear to have an identical interface

breadmadness

Newly Enlightened
can someone confirm? my impression from other reviews as well as this thread, the g5 gives more throw and the x7 gives more spill?

i'm looking for more throw, so i'm thinking of going with the g5

Bwolcott

Enlightened
can someone confirm? my impression from other reviews as well as this thread, the g5 gives more throw and the x7 gives more spill?

i'm looking for more throw, so i'm thinking of going with the g5

his numbers show throw is similar but the x7 is brighter

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
can someone confirm? my impression from other reviews as well as this thread, the g5 gives more throw and the x7 gives more spill? i'm looking for more throw, so i'm thinking of going with the g5
Not really - peak throw is pretty similar. Generally, the X7 has a broader hotspot, and more light in the periphery of the spillbeam (although the spill is no wider). The G5 has a more sharply defined (and smaller) hotspot. This pic from the review might help you compare the beam profile.

G5-X7.gif

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Is Lux proportional to Lumens? Here you list the lumens at 450 and lux@1m at 12,450. David's claiming the new models with burst mode will go from 450 lumens to 900 - would that make the lux close to 25,000?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Is Lux proportional to Lumens? Here you list the lumens at 450 and lux@1m at 12,450. David's claiming the new models with burst mode will go from 450 lumens to 900 - would that make the lux close to 25,000?
In general term, yes, doubling the output should double the lux @1m. In practice it doesn't usually work out quite so neatly.

BTW, I do plan to directly review the MMX Burst model. Just waiting to receive the final shipping version.

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
In general term, yes, doubling the output should double the lux @1m. In practice it doesn't usually work out quite so neatly.

BTW, I do plan to directly review the MMX Burst model. Just waiting to receive the final shipping version.

Great news! ANSI numbers are taken at 3 minutes right? Are you still going to tell us how much lux you get with the Burst mode even though it doesn't last 3 minutes?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Great news! ANSI numbers are taken at 3 minutes right? Are you still going to tell us how much lux you get with the Burst mode even though it doesn't last 3 minutes?
Actually, ANSI numbers are for the peak output/throw in the period from 30 secs to 3 minutes. So yes, the Burst mode will be captured.

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened

C'mon David!! Ship the light to Selfbuilt already!! I wanna see the review! :clap:

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
I'm pretty sure you're already going to do this, but can you make sure to check the lumens of the moonlight level? I'm hoping it didn't go up!