4Sevens Maelstrom X7

Fluffy Ops

Newly Enlightened
Good evening Flashaholics,

I just checked my e-mail and found out that 4Sevens has launched its CREE XM-L L.E.D. G5 light, or X7, and added it to their Maelstrom flashlight series. Great news!

So for those who are interested in a 480 lumens G5 light, this is it! According to 4Sevens, the light is 30% brighter and has a floody 10 degree spot beam.

In case you are wondering, I published this post as a way of letting non-4Sevens.com or .ca customers know that such a light will start existing from now on. Also, I must admit, that because I just created this account after the CPF server crash (during which I grievously lost my account), I am trying to increase m ypost-count and hopefully minimize the time it takes for me to regain the "Flashlaholic" status. :)

Cheers!

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: NEW! 4Sevens Maelstrom X7

Only 6 days oin moonlight mode? The original Quark 1xAA gets better than this...

PCS

Newly Enlightened

I must admit to having a small crush on this light. However, I'm trying to figure out what to do with a pocket clip on a light this size.

And have you noticed the crenelated bezel is really a "strike bezel," and the cigar ring is actually a "combat ring". I think I want this light so much because I secretly want to get in touch with my inner 12-year old. I'd buy it without the strike bezel and combat ring. The thing is floody, bright, and it looks like a death ray. That alone should make my inner 12-year old very happy.

jugg2

Enlightened

I ordered one yesterday haha! With the intent of mounting it on one of my "pest control" rifles haha. Just FYI it is compatible with the G5's remote pressure switches according to the 4sevens rep I spoke with. We will see when it arrives...

Caleb Wilson

Fluffy Ops

Newly Enlightened

Very amusing comments here! :)

jugg2, please tell us how the light is when it arrives and you had had a chance to play around with it. Some beamshots would be nice too... if I'm not asking too much... :)

importculture

Newly Enlightened

I got my x7 in yesterday and I have to say it really impressed me. 4sevens really displayed how much they listen to us cpfers. The UI has been revamped with maximum now in both regular and special modes as per many a cpfers request. While I prefer a tight beam like the old maelstrom I have to admit the x7 posseses a much more usuable beam. It does well at both close and long ranges due to the extra spill and output. Maybe 4sevens is following surefires old philosophy of increasing or decreasing beam diameter to keep the throw distance relative across their line of lights. The main beam is about the same diameter as the nitecore ife1. I really expected a slightly brighter and diluted beam as compared to the old g5. But I was thourouly surprised by how much brighter it really ended up being. The output Is blatently obvious in a ceiling bounce comparison with the g5. Plus the new x7 ened up being abit shorter than the old g5. It really made me think back to the early days when the pinnicale of led technology was a 100 tiny led's crammed into the head of a flashlight. I remember thinking I would be satisfied if Surefire made a 2cr powered pocket light with a 1000 lumens. Now just over ten years have passed and it actually seems possible now.

Oh! And the maelstrom line comes with both a strike bezel a normal bevel a tactical grip ring and a flat replacement piece for those non tactical users. Everything is easily swapped out by the user.

Last edited:

PCS

Newly Enlightened

I got my x7 in yesterday and I have to say it really impressed me. 4sevens really displayed how much they listen to us cpfers. The UI has been revamped with maximum now in both regular and special modes as per many a cpfers request. While I prefer a tight beam like the old maelstrom I have to admit the x7 posseses a much more usuable beam. It does well at both close and long ranges due to the extra spill and output. Maybe 4sevens is following surefires old philosophy of increasing or decreasing beam diameter to keep the throw distance relative across their line of lights. The main beam is about the same diameter as the nitecore ife1. I really expected a slightly brighter and diluted beam as compared to the old g5. But I was thourouly surprised by how much brighter it really ended up being. The output Is blatently obvious in a ceiling bounce comparison with the g5. Plus the new x7 ened up being abit shorter than the old g5. It really made me think back to the early days when the pinnicale of led technology was a 100 tiny led's crammed into the head of a flashlight. I remember thinking I would be satisfied if Surefire made a 2cr powered pocket light with a 1000 lumens. Now just over ten years have passed and it actually seems possible now.

Oh! And the maelstrom line comes with both a strike bezel a normal bevel a tactical grip ring and a flat replacement piece for those non tactical users. Everything is easily swapped out by the user.

Wow. You convinced me. Your affection for both the hobby and the light are really apparent. I've been drooling a bit over the X7 since its release. Now I'm definitely ordering one next week.

importculture

Newly Enlightened

I'm glad to hear that you're going to give the x7 a try. David was a cpfer before he created 4sevens so he really listens to the feedback here. It's really nice to know that the owner of a company actually cares about what your thoughts are. I really hope you enjoy the x7 as much as i do. Big Thanks to 4sevens for taking the time to listen to us little people. As soon as I get my ipad2s paid up I'm buying more x7s. And David Ill let my officer friends and brother know about the x7 and the UI change. Although they may already know. Along with the g5 I've passed along a few of them purchased their own. Thanks for listening

Last edited:

jugg2

Enlightened

Nice to hear! I can't wait till mine arrives! I live just a few hours south of the 4sevens address so my shipping time is usually pretty short! Expecting it any day now...

Caleb Wilson

jugg2

Enlightened

Well I got mine today... All I can say is WOW! This is one impressive light!

I played with a G5 at a gun shop near my house and thought it was a nice light but I didn't really have any particular use for it so I passed it up. Since I was in the market for a few weapon mounted lights I remembered the Maelstrom so I figured I would give the X7 a try... And Im glad I did! This seems so much brighter than I remember the G5 being. I might end up with another 1 or 2 of them to mount on a few other guns...

Overall if you are wondering wether or not to pick one up I wouldn't hesitate a bit! Definitely a awesome little light!

Caleb Wilson

woofwoof

Newly Enlightened

Does anyone know if there is a difference in max output depending on type of battery used? The specs say it can use (1) 18650 or (2) CR123A.

Fluffy Ops

Newly Enlightened

Does anyone know if there is a difference in max output depending on type of battery used? The specs say it can use (1) 18650 or (2) CR123A.

I don't think so, but don't quote me on that. I assume that you will obtain different runtimes.

Flashlight_Bug

Newly Enlightened
The X7 is overpriced, especially when compared to the Lumintop TD15X which is a very bright and well made light. And the TD15X comes with a free extender so you get to use 2X18500 to make it even brighter. The tail-end is stainless steel making it more durable. Don't get me wrong. I have the G5 XPG V2 and it is a great light and definitely has better knurling than most other made-in-china lights. But the G5 is still way over priced compared to the TD15 XPG which is brighter and cheaper too. And with my G5, you have to loosen the bezel so much (until the head almost separates from the tube) to get the lowest setting. If you have the Lumintop, you will notice that the G5 and the TD15 share the same lanyard. Maybe all these chinese lights share the same OEM?

recDNA

Flashaholic
An XM-L T isn't a very expensive LED. I don't see why it should cost much more than a G5. We haven't even established what the drive current is. Is it higher than the G5?

trldad

Newly Enlightened
Just picked this one up. I really like it. great beam profile, nice UI.

trldad

Newly Enlightened
Sorry Fluffy Ops. I cant give you anymore than what is specified on the 4sevens web site.
Maelstrom X7
I just really like the wider spot/flood beam and the 1/4 turn UI works well for me.

trldad

justlux

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know the lux on max and if this has an excellent regulation using a 18650 2900 mAH?

PayBack

Enlightened

And "moonlight mode" is such a priority in a "big" flashlight...

***sigh***

A priority? No, but is it a big surprise that the runtime on moonlight is nearly 1/10th that of some 2xAA lights with half the output? Yes, it is. It certainly has me wondering why.

Moonlight mode for Quark AA = 0.6 lumens for 1277 hours
Moonlight mode for X7 = 0.3 lumens for 144 hours

It's nowhere near as annoying as those people making unneccessay sarcastic comments and sighs though.

Last edited: