r1gm1n

Newly Enlightened
PreonKR.jpg
:kewlpics: The Golden Yellow feels as good in the hand as it looks.:thanks:

Geode

Enlightened
Clicky question

Hi,

I would appreciate it if someone can tell me how the clicky works with the change in levels.

Is the default low when you click on, then use the twisting action to switch levels? Or is there a way to have it on high or medium when you click it on?

Thanks,

Jeff

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Clicky question

I would appreciate it if someone can tell me how the clicky works with the change in levels.

Is the default low when you click on, then use the twisting action to switch levels? Or is there a way to have it on high or medium when you click it on?

With the clicky switch in place - when turning on from cold defaults to low.

To change to the next level - one merely has to tap the clicky to get a momentary Off (the advice is to use pressure on the edge of the switch) -
or click Off then back On again quickly.

Twisting the head off then quickly on again will also work.

Sammax

Newly Enlightened
Awesome review and information. I apologize in advance if I missed the answer to my question but maybe someone could help me out.

In the picture the Preon 1 Titanium is longer than the other Preon 1's but the 4Seven web site shows them all at 2.95". What am I missing?

Thanks in advance.
(And a special thanks to UnknownVT/Vincent for such great information/review)

- Donnie

Sammax

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the picture by the way.

QUOTE=HKJ;3323823]In what picture?
Here is one of my pictures with them:

DSC_9999.jpg
[/QUOTE]

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the picture the Preon 1 Titanium is longer than the other Preon 1's but the 4Seven web site shows them all at 2.95". What am I missing?

Welcome to CPF -

As you've figured out, and other have posted - the difference in length is due to the titanium version having a clicky tail-cap, whereas the other colored Preons have plain tail-caps.

in the review just below the first set of pics:

".... one can get a clicky tail-switch as shown on the titanium version (that's actually 4Sevens' own personal light....) and on the red Preon 2."

Sammax

Newly Enlightened
UnknownVT,

Thanks for the welcome and reply. I actually read that clicky statement. In fact it is the reason that I ordered one. Looking at the picture again (post # 1), I think my mistake is that I failed to realize how much of the tail is actually tail and not the body.

Anywho, looking forward to getting the Preon 1 Titanium (with the clicky).

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Sammax

Newly Enlightened
Yep- thanks to his review comments I ordered the clicky when I ordered the light.

pee10755

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone advise what the hit is in brightness if you use standard alkaline batteries instead of rechargeable? One of the reasons why I want to buy this light is there is an endless supply of duracell AAA at work. Thanks.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone advise what the hit is in brightness if you use standard alkaline batteries instead of rechargeable? One of the reasons why I want to buy this light is there is an endless supply of duracell AAA at work. Thanks.

The brightness levels ought to be the same as the Preon uses a current regulated circuit (with very fast PWM to get the lower levels).

Although alkalines cannot sustain high current demands as well as NiMH rechargeables - but this should really only affect the eventual runtime.

GadgetGeek

Newly Enlightened
A Preon 1 lives on my keychain. It's an impressive little light. My only little niggle is I would have liked if they made the hole for the split ring protrude out a little further.

HKJ

Flashaholic
The brightness levels ought to be the same as the Preon uses a current regulated circuit (with very fast PWM to get the lower levels).

It might be current regulated, but not to a constant level. The brightness off Preon is directly proportional to the battery voltage. This makes a Preon much more friendly for alkalines than a constant brightness light.