4Sevens Preon ReVO 1xAAA (XP-E R2) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
OOOoooo...

i like VERY much that its almost the same size as the Jet-U

I love the size of the jet-u, just never really liked the beamtype or the modes.

Now to find some money for this....

Crenshaw

Hey Crenshaw. I had the Jet-u and really liked the style/size/quality. But like you, I did not like the beam or the efficiency. I think the Revo is what the Jet-u could have been and more.

carrot

Flashaholic
I'm quite surprised how little a reaction the Prevo got. I don't usually like AA or AAA lights but I snagged the Prevo when it came out and I was blown away by the utility and sheer awesomeness of this light. Another great review as usual, selfbuilt, and I hope you're enjoying your Prevo as much as I am enjoying mine.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Never heard of the Preon, let alone Preon ReVO, until I saw one at a show this afternoon. ...

Bonus question: Does anyone know the etymology (word origin) of "4Sevens"? Just curious.
Thanks for sharing your handling experience with the ReVO. As for 4Sevens' name, I believe that's been discussed several times, including in a recent Cafe thread. A search should pull it up.

i like VERY much that its almost the same size as the Jet-U
I love the size of the jet-u, just never really liked the beamtype or the modes.
Hey Crenshaw. I had the Jet-u and really liked the style/size/quality. But like you, I did not like the beam or the efficiency. I think the Revo is what the Jet-u could have been and more.
I agree. I carried the Jet-u for quite some time on my keychain (as the comparison pic will attest). ;) But I never liked the visible PWM or the overall efficiency. Glad to see this form factor back, with a very good selection of current-controlled output modes.

I'm quite surprised how little a reaction the Prevo got. I don't usually like AA or AAA lights but I snagged the Prevo when it came out and I was blown away by the utility and sheer awesomeness of this light. Another great review as usual, selfbuilt, and I hope you're enjoying your Prevo as much as I am enjoying mine.
I'm impressed enough that I am going to give it a try as a replacement EDC on my keychain.

Note that my 1xAAA keychain EDC doesn't get a lot of use, because I almost always have my main 1x14500/RCR EDC on my belt (currently a ZL SC50w+, formerly the LF3XT and Nitecore D10 before that). I've gone through a lot of 1xAAA EDCs (the IlluminaTI and LF2XT have done the most duty recently). We'll see how the ReVO holds up!

My only minor concern starting out is an aesthetic one - black HA doesn't tend to last long on a keychain, but I suppose the "rustic" look could have appeal to some. This is why I actually liked the old Jet-u coloring (or my Natural finish LF2XT - that one still looks new).

Last edited:

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've gone through a lot of 1xAAA EDCs (the IlluminaTI and LF2XT have done the most duty recently).

I tried EDCing an Illumina Ti for a while, but the PWM rate on my particular one was among the worst I'd ever seen for ANY light, especially on low! It was so bad, in fact, that I GAVE it away...it was THAT distracting! Shame, cuz aesthetically it was a VERY sharp looking light, but the PWM was just plain :sick2:

I really like my ReVO, especially since there's no PWM, and a L/M/H interface. The only downside is that mine has a noticeably off-center emitter...off center to the point that the beam is noticeably coming out of the light "crooked" by a couple degrees from center when I blow smoke through it. If this was gonna be a "white wall hunting light" it'd be going back for a replacement; but since it's on keychain duty and is strictly for "utility" use, I can live with it (...besides, I HATE waiting for replacements!). The only thing I find sort of "perplexing" about the emitter being off center is this: with the Quark series, people (including me...) raved about how perfectly centered the emitters were as a result of the centering device or whatever it was that 4-7's used to ensure the Quarks had perfectly centered emitters. I've read a few other posts from other CPFers who also claimed to have noticeably off-center emitters in their ReVOs; why were the ReVOs "left out" of the centering process for the emitters that the other 4-7 lights received? Just wondering...

PJD

Last edited:

njet212

Enlightened
Selfbuilt, today i was measuring my Revo SSand Maratac AAA current draw. The runtime Estimation ( Batt Capacity/Current ) for Maratac Hi/Med and Revo Preon is just about the same. Except Hi Mode for Revo SS. All lights using same battery Sanyo AAA, battery voltage shows 1,3 volt tested using Krisbow DMM Autorange.

Maratac AAA Runtime Estimation using Eneloop 800ma ( Batt Capacity/Current Draw )
Hi: 800ma/820ma = 58,5 min
Med: 800ma/230ma = 3 hours 47 min

Preon Revo SS Runtime Estimation using Eneloop 800ma ( Batt Capacity/Current Draw )
Hi: 800ma/1600ma = 30 min
Med: 800ma/160ma = 5 hours

I was wondering what's your regular Preon Revo current on high mode using fully charge eneloop AAA ?

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I tried EDCing an Illumina Ti for a while, but the PWM rate on my particular one was among the worst I'd ever seen for ANY light, especially on low!
Interesting, I didn't find my Illumnati TI so bad at ~900Hz PWM (certainly better than my early gen ITP/Maratac lights that used lower 200Hz PWM). But I am also sensitive to any noticeable PWM, so I eventually went back to the LF2XT (with its unnoticeable 7.8kHz PWM).

I'm currently trying out the ReVO ... no PWM is always prefereable! :thumbsup:

Preon Revo SS Runtime Estimation using Eneloop 800ma ( Batt Capacity/Current Draw )
Hi: 800ma/1600ma = 30 min
Med: 800ma/160ma = 5 hours
I was wondering what's your regular Preon Revo current on high mode using fully charge eneloop AAA ?
I haven't measured it, but would expect it to be the same as the SS version.

But I would point out that the Hi mode steps down ~20% in output within 3 mins after illumination. I think you'll find the current steps down significantly at the same time, which would explain the >60 min runtime I measured. This is why I don't routinely measure battery current draws - the actual output/runtime traces provide a lot more info if you are interested in runtimes.

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
I tried EDCing an Illumina Ti for a while, but the PWM rate on my particular one was among the worst I'd ever seen for ANY light, especially on low! It was so bad, in fact, that I GAVE it away...it was THAT distracting! Shame, cuz aesthetically it was a VERY sharp looking light, but the PWM was just plain :sick2:

Was that light with L-M-H or M-L-H interface?

But I would point out that the Hi mode steps down ~20% in output within 3 mins after illumination. I think you'll find the current steps down significantly at the same time, which would explain the >60 min runtime I measured. This is why I don't routinely measure battery current draws - the actual output/runtime traces provide a lot more info.

At 1.2 volt I measure 896 mA before step down and 688 mA after. But the light can draw up to 2 A. The current draw is less at higher voltage, due to the stabilization (Original Preon draws more current at higher voltage).

I believe that current measurement also provides a lot of information, but not exactly the same information as a runtime curve.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
At 1.2 volt I measure 896 mA before step down and 688 mA after. But the light can draw up to 2 A. The current draw is less at higher voltage, due to the stabilization (Original Preon draws more current at higher voltage).

I believe that current measurement also provides a lot of information, but not exactly the same information as a runtime curve.
Thanks of the info HKJ. I didn't mean to disparage all current draw data - quite the opposite, your detailed testing (and voltage/current graphs) are extremely valuable. :thumbsup:

I was thinking of the practice of taking a single tailcap current reading to estimate runtime. While understandable for those who don't have the setup to measure output/runtime, it is misleading here given the step-down that occurs.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Mine was the M/L/H interface, XP-E Q5.

PJD

Then it might have a lower refresh rate. Matt did never explain how the wrong batch get made, but my guess was that they were mounted with the ITP A3 circuit, instead of the IlluminaTi circuit (The A3 circuit has 200 Hz pwm and M-L-H sequence).

njet212

Enlightened
But I would point out that the Hi mode steps down ~20% in output within 3 mins after illumination. I think you'll find the current steps down significantly at the same time, which would explain the >60 min runtime I measured. This is why I don't routinely measure battery current draws - the actual output/runtime traces provide a lot more info if you are interested in runtimes.

When i read your review, sometimes i always wondering why you never provide current measurement. But after read your reply it makes sense why you never provide current measurement. Thanks for the answer :thumbsup:

HKJ, i also found at 1.3 volt my preon SS current draw up and down between 1600 - 1988 mA. But after few seconds it the current was getting stable between range 16XX-17XX mA.

HKJ

Flashaholic
HKJ, i also found at 1.3 volt my preon SS current draw up and down between 1600 - 1988 mA. But after few seconds it the current was getting stable between range 16XX-17XX mA.

It sound like you are measuring volts at the battery, not at the light. The meter and wires can easily drop a few tenths of volts.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Then it might have a lower refresh rate. Matt did never explain how the wrong batch get made, but my guess was that they were mounted with the ITP A3 circuit, instead of the IlluminaTi circuit (The A3 circuit has 200 Hz pwm and M-L-H sequence).
That would make sense - the Illuminati TI was always meant to have a different circuit (L-M-H, ~900Hz PWM) and emitter (XP-G R5). I suspect the circuit design and assembly was being done by ITP for TI (based on the output/runtime characteristics of the circuit), which likely explains the source of the mix-up on that batch (i.e. basically an ITP A3 in the Illuminati body).