4Sevens Quark Mini AA & 123 Review: BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIMES, PICS, and more!

caall99

Newly Enlightened
Why is it that the Quark Mini AA has a longer run time and brighter output when run with the 14500 3.7V lipo while the Quark Mini 123 has a shorter runtime AND lower output while running on the RCR123 3.7V lipo??? Doesn't make any sense...

AlexLED

Enlightened
Great review, as always, thank you very much !

Only detail I'm missing is reverse polarity protection (for AA), can anybody comment ? The foursevens homepage is not really clear in this neither.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Only detail I'm missing is reverse polarity protection (for AA), can anybody comment ? The foursevens homepage is not really clear in this neither.
Hmmm, I don't recall any mention of it for this series (but then again, I do look at a lot of lights). ;)

Probably best to check with Foursevens directly. In the absence of a definite statement, I would recommend always assuming there is no circuit reverse-polarity protection in any given light.

That have said, I have briefly reversed batteries a couple of times in my life, with no apparent ill effects except in one case of a cheapie discount light that blew its circuit. Of course, I don't recommend you try that on purpose (the few times I've done it, I've immediately realized my mistake the turned the light off to correct the error). Don't remember what lights it occured in, though.

Last edited:

jkid1911

Enlightened
I have the 4Sevens Quark Mini AA, and was wondering how it compared to the 123. Another awesome and comprehensive review. It's clear to me that you are the member to keep my eye on whenever I need new flashlight info and a review. Thanks again for another incredible review...!! :thumbsup:

LanthanumK

Newly Enlightened
Dragging up an older thread here, but...

I just did a runtime test for my brand-new Foursevens Quark Mini MA XP-G Gen 2 neutral tint with the included Chinese Duracell alkaline battery on low mode, testing the claim of 60 hours. I got 42 hours before it completely blinked out. I am rather disappointed that the runtime was overstated so much. The last 8 hours or so were in a sub-lumen moon mode of sorts. The battery measured 0.75V after shutoff.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dragging up an older thread here, but...

I just did a runtime test for my brand-new Foursevens Quark Mini MA XP-G Gen 2 neutral tint with the included Chinese Duracell alkaline battery on low mode, testing the claim of 60 hours. I got 42 hours before it completely blinked out. I am rather disappointed that the runtime was overstated so much. The last 8 hours or so were in a sub-lumen moon mode of sorts. The battery measured 0.75V after shutoff.

Have you tried it with another alkaline battery? It's been a couple years since the neutrals were made. If you used the included cell it could be not 100% Alkalines have a limited shelf life.

5CardBLAZE

Newly Enlightened

Bought 3x High-CRI Q-mini AAs a few years back.
Didn't realise just how warm their WW tint would be. No deal breaker; just inexperience on my part.

The runtimes Verses percieved output levels dissapoints me when compared to runtimes from my L3 Illuminations L10 v1 but [especially] my Eagtac D25A Clicky {which is exceptional}.

The mini AAs' effect on the ground/grass is great when walking/exploring under overcast suburban night skys.
And their spill angle is huge.:candle:

But dispite trying really hard to love these tiny, tiny little 1x AA cell pocket-carry lights, the PWM is their deal breaker with me.:tsk:
If they were constant current controlled, one of `em truly would be my Every Day Carry to this very day, with the other two as perminant back-ups back at home.

With Respect To EDC, these models (later re-named Q mini-MA) have the longest SOS runtime I've seen in AA torches --- even 2xAA models.

Although not rated for 14500, they run pleasantly well with Keeppower 840mA 14500s, despite the extra, extra long length of these 14500s.
...True, it takes more beef to turn/twist them on & change modes; but gives me more confidence that my Q-mini AA will not accidentally turn on unknowingly in my pocket.
And the threads have so many turns, that they could never ever unwind in my pocket as long as the O-Ring lives in there.:buddies:
Another pleasant thing when running 14500 instead of eneloop AA is that low (2.7) AND mid (30) stay the same. That is, average-current goes down to match, because voltage went up.
So they look the same [in lo & mid] no matter which chemistry is used. Runtime goes down however.
But high is full steam ahead --- Just like NiMh AA, no PWM just 100% output. And what an output:xyxgun: But hold on tight `cause it gets hot fast.

So, the same moonlight [or just above a 1 lumen+] and the same useful good-level medium for most every other task, and a blast of long distance illumination, for just-in-case.

[...] just my 2 lumens worth.

Latest posts