4Sevens Quark Round-up Review: Q123, QAA, Q123-2, QAA-2 - RUNTIMES, COMPARISONS, etc

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone else notice how much the 14500 beats the Eneloop by in regards to runtime on high? I did the test here at home too and got 1h20mins on Eneloop and almost 3 hours on 14500. Unlike in max, they both are regulated to the same level so I'm not sure why 14500 is running twice as long since it should have comparable energy. Not that I'm complaining, it's almost making me consider reprogramming my Tactical to Low/High instead of Med/Max since I use 14500 most of the time.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone else notice how much the 14500 beats the Eneloop by in regards to runtime on high? I did the test here at home too and got 1h20mins on Eneloop and almost 3 hours on 14500. Unlike in max, they both are regulated to the same level so I'm not sure why 14500 is running twice as long since it should have comparable energy. Not that I'm complaining, it's almost making me consider reprogramming my Tactical to Low/High instead of Med/Max since I use 14500 most of the time.
The lower voltage configuration actually has a buck and a boost circuit - two separate circuits that kick in as needed. Buck is much more efficient than boost in general. In this case, 1.5v makes the boost circuit work much harder thus less efficient. The quarks are designed to use li-ions and be fully regulated - fairly rare in lights these days - most are just running direct drive, wasting lots of energy at the very beginning of a run.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll keep using my 14500s :) And 100-ish lumens OTF on a single AA for 90 mins is still very respectable but 3 hours on 14500 is really impressive.

Last edited:

TLLM

Newly Enlightened
This review was helpful, but I would have appreciated a comment on the preflash when changing from a bright memorized mode to a low memorized mode. I did not come across this comment until after my recent purchase of the light and now I am almost sorry I purchased it because for my needs the preflash defeats the purpose of having two memorized modes.

RTTR

Newly Enlightened
Can it be confirmed if the 123-2 is in fact brighter with a pair of AW RCR cells in it? I've looked at the graphs and it appears it is, but by the naked eye with my testing it isn't really any different.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
This review was helpful, but I would have appreciated a comment on the preflash when changing from a bright memorized mode to a low memorized mode. I did not come across this comment until after my recent purchase of the light and now I am almost sorry I purchased it because for my needs the preflash defeats the purpose of having two memorized modes.
I believe you are referring to the Tactical version? Sorry, but I was never sent one of those for review, hence why there is no comment. Preflash can exists on virtually all Fenix and 4Sevens lights, but I gather from comments here that the issue is indeed more noticeable in the two-memorized mode tactical setup. But I have no direct knowledge, not having tested the tactical version.

Can it be confirmed if the 123-2 is in fact brighter with a pair of AW RCR cells in it? I've looked at the graphs and it appears it is, but by the naked eye with my testing it isn't really any different.
No, it isn't any brighter. The first sample I was sent was defective, and produced unusually high output and short runtime. The replacement sample (shown in the graphs and tables of the review) shows virtually no difference between 1x17670 and 2xRCR (i.e. 1-2%, which is well within measurement error).

Last edited:

amigafan2003

Enlightened
I am almost sorry I purchased it because for my needs the preflash defeats the purpose

I still have to hear of or see a scenario where the pre-flash renders a Quark unusable.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
Thanks for the great review! Ordered a 123-3 Tactical the other day. It should be here tomorrow. Can't wait.

Is it possible to widen the flood? I don't care about throw.

Again, many hanks.

-

Egsise

Banned
Preflash can exists on virtually all Fenix and 4Sevens lights, but I gather from comments here that the issue is indeed more noticeable in the two-memorized mode tactical setup. But I have no direct knowledge, not having tested the tactical version.
I haven't seen the preflash in any of the LD10, LD20 or PD20 models that I have tested.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
My L2D doesn't preflash but my Quark AA-T does. However, even the worst one of shutting off in turbo, switch to moonlight is not a problem for me. It's certainly noticeable but I think some people overestimate how quickly night vision is lost, one flash for an instant doesn't disrupt it very much for me at all.

Charles L.

Enlightened
I'm still pretty new to this realm, and I wouldn't pretend to know whether the pre-flash from my Quark AA renders it unusable at any time. The pre-flash is a bit annoying, however -- that tends to make it unused, if not unusable. Thanks to Carrot for the tip on how to minimize the issue. I'm already learning to appreciate "low" lows, and the Quark definitely goes lower than my other EDC's.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I haven't seen the preflash in any of the LD10, LD20 or PD20 models that I have tested.
The preflash issue first came to light around the time of the introduction of the Q5 emitter into the LxD, PxD series Fenix lights. By the time of the LDx0 and PDx0 refresh, the effect had been considerably reduced (although I'm not sure if it was totally eliminated).

From what I have gathered through discussions here, the pre-flash is a circuit issue that can only be minimized, not completely removed (i.e. likely still there on the Fenix models, but reduced to no longer being commonly perceptible).

Those with more understanding of the circuitry can chime in, but I've noticed it tends to re-surface when there is a particularly wide range between max and min modes (i.e. the Quark series moonlight is much lower than the current Fenix low). But its appearance is still quite variable for sample-to-sample and condition-to-condition. I can't say I noticed it in my regular Quark samples (but I am rather used to it, so may not have noticed a mild case). I gather it is worse on the tactical versions, but have no first-hand knowledge.

As Carrot pointed out, one option is to switch to low before turning off. You can also try blocking the head with you hand when first illuminating, if you are worried about preserving night vision.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
Just got my Quark 123*2 Tactical yesterday. It's a fabulous little light. Everyone I've shown it to is absolutely amazed. I have primary setting (head tight) set to strobe and it kicks azz. Secondary setting (head loose) is medium steady-on.

I have noticed the 'pre-flash', but I don't care at all about that.

This thing is so small and lightweight, it just disappears in my pocket. It is a wonderful light for EDC.

$69 well spent. Good job Quark! :D

-

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my Quark 123*2 Tactical yesterday. It's a fabulous little light. Everyone I've shown it to is absolutely amazed. I have primary setting (head tight) set to strobe and it kicks azz. Secondary setting (head loose) is medium steady-on.

I have noticed the 'pre-flash', but I don't care at all about that.

This thing is so small and lightweight, it just disappears in my pocket. It is a wonderful light for EDC.

$69 well spent. Good job Quark! :D

-

Next time try discount code CPF8. What batteries are you running in it?

john2

Newly Enlightened
A very interesting read (5 pages :)

I'm considering the Quark AA with a AW 14500 battery. Apparently the brightness is similar to the AAx2 (which is what I want), but now I want to know what the battery life is in comparison to the AAx2?